Cambridge Hyatt Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by jfhscott, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a pretty dreadful hotel.

The views of the Charles are the best feature, and as a Diamond, I received a view upgrade. And the pool is of sufficient size that one might actually exercise in it.

Otherwise, I have few positive comments. First off, it is dreary - the most notable design elements are brick and "ornamental" concrete. And the "grass" in the planters which run along the balconies overlooking the atrium, along with the "bamboo" plantings are among the worst plastic replicas. They look like they are from a cheap craft store. Service was ill-informed of its own policies. For exampleThe "tax exempt" form they had me fill out upon check in was actually a credit card authorization form (and this was quite obvious from the form itself). The most promising Diamond Amenity was Canvas wine and hummus, which was served with two little bags of pita chips. Diamond breakfast was choice of entrees or the rather uninspired buffet (think lost of warming trays with the likely suspects).

I actually don't get some joy out of bashing a property. But if this one was deflagged, I would not miss it one bit.

2. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree that the view of the Charles are nice, especially in the spring when the river has lots of skells, skullers, or whatever those things are called. I have always received a nice "view" upgrade.

And the entry decor is rather dreary, not to mention that the entry itself is rather bizarre - it is in the back, and once one comes through the doors, you wind your way past the gift shop, elevators, meeting room access, and only then find yourself at the front desk. Odd.

I do not swim, but the fitness center is slightly larger than most, and equipment has been in working condition on all visits. I am not particularly enamored of the parking garage location, but that is more because I am usually there quite early and do not like walking over there on my own. (it is secured, just, well, again ODD.)

Beyond that, my experiences (and I have stayed here 4 to 5 times) are different than that of the OP's.

1) I cannot state (as to their) knowledge level, but I have found all staff to be quite friendly - desk to housekeeping to restaurant. On one occassion, I had (3) rooms booked - they delivered amenities to all 3, gave me bonus points on all 3, etc. Perhaps it was because they were ill informed....but my guests certainly enjoyed their wine!
    2) I have never eaten the buffet, always ordering off the menu, and have not been disappointed. A couple times were omlettes (perfect opportunity for screw-ups of listed ingredients) but each came out perfectly. I enjoy the river view from here, and even as a 'single diner" they have always accomodated my request for a window table and not stuck me at some tiny two top by the door.
    3) Room service also arrived as ordered and was above average.
    4) Our corporate rate here is very very cheap, and yet I always get a nice room, although some are better than others. Never a problem with housekeeping.

Highway access is pretty decent, but I don't think it is really conducive to a "tourist" stay for historical Boston stuff. I use it for a night or two for biz, and find it more than adequate.

All in all, I have no major complaints. Is it in my top 10 favorites? No.
    Has it provided me good service at a good price - Yes.
    Will I return - Absolutely.

I think this is one of those properties you will just take "as is" - or not.

3. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed there a number of times in 2009-10, but don't plan on going back.

Yes, the views of the Charles are nice. But that's the only real positive I can think of.

The gym has a long row of cardio machines which should be nice in theory; however, when the sun is out, that glass-walled room can turn into something of an oven. And the individual monitors on the machines have a different feed than you get in your room, so you get just a few channels, none of them good. And all fuzzy in my recollection.

The gift shop doesn't open or close when it's supposed to. It might be 15 minutes late, might be more. So don't think you can grab something to drink there whenever you need it.

The rooms are dreary and very much in need of updating.

But my biggest complaint is the location. It's not really walkable to anywhere of interest, which is an amazing feat to pull off in Boston/Cambridge. You can't pop around the corner to Starbucks (or comparable) for a coffee, or to a good restaurant for a meal, or to a convenience store for supplies at reasonable prices. There's no T stop close by. It feels very isolated.

If the HR Cambridge wants to be competitive, they should renovate their rooms, do something about the cardio section of the gym, put in a Starbucks (or comparable) with long hours (6 AM-8 PM)... and then I'd go back there. As it is, I'm staying at the HR Boston, despite the considerable added cost. Well worth it.

4. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might add that the location manages to be in the middle of everything but near nothing.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  5. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay in Cambridge Maryland is great though! :)

6. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hotel has a shuttle service (first come, first served; finishes at 20:30) to Kendall Square and Harvard Square (both have T stations) - but not Central Square (which is in between Kendall and Harvard). Central Square is an easy 20 minute stroll away, and has great bar and restaurant options.

Diamond breakfast is a choice from the menu, including the full buffet. The Lobster Eggs Benedict is excellent - better than Cafe Luna in Central Square (which is really good), and also better than the Hyatt Regency Boston.