Cambodia+Thailand on 1 Visa

Discussion in 'Asia' started by HiIslands, Dec 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cambodia and Thailand have agreed to allow some visitors to obtain just one visa to visit both countries, effective tomorrow, 12/27/2012. Thirty five countries are covered by the agreement, including the U.S., Canada, EU countries and Japan, Korea and China.

Currently, if you enter Thailand by air, you do not need a visa but will only be allowed a 30 day stay. If you enter Thailand by land, you will only be allowed a 15 day stay. Cambodia is covered by a convenient e-visa program which allows a 30 day stay. Under the new program, visa holders will be allowed a 60 day stay in either country.

Information about the new visa here:
    http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/328007/thai-cambo-single-visa-effective-tomorrow

Cambodia e-visa here:
    http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

U.S. Embassy in Bangkok comments on visa issues here:
    http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/thai-visas-for-americans.html

estnet, edekba and Kalboz like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - this might come in handy - you never know :)

HiIslands and Kalboz like this.
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Came across the article while having coffee this morning. There's really paltry information here, no surprise when dealing with these two countries and/or the Bangkok Post. While the article says both countries' embassies will be issuing these visa it doesn't say if there's a special new visa. Thailand's tourist visa is good for 60 days but Cambodia's is only valid for 30. There's also a cost differential. What about longer term visas issued for either country... are they eligible for long stay in the other country? And good luck asserting this at a land border....

This is unlikely to have an effect which is unfortunate because it could be a real boon to tourists. Those few who know about it will likely deal with additional hassles and wish they hadn't bothered. At least that's my view until I see further information on this.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I've read you actually have to get a visa (at a stiff fee) from the consulate not just the stamped one that is given (for free) at the airport - so not as useful as I first thought:(

5. burmaexpert

burmaexpert New Member

Status Points:
    My clients still need different visas for these two countries. How it works now ?