Calling RTS, Calling RTS, Jeff Smisek falls into Jeff Robertson's trap... UA SkyMilesPlus program

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DiverDave, Jun 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

When I have some time, I'm going to wander over to the UA and AA forums. I imagine the MPers are in complete meltdown, while the AAdvantage crowd must be gloating.

David

p.s. - need to attribute the above masterpiece:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23009042-post7.html

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they are smart, American will have a clear AAdvantage from the defection of disgruntled UA elites. AA originated the frequent flyer program and they may be the one to show how programs should work in the traditional sense.

DiverDave likes this.
  4. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they are smart, AA will do whatever will make it the most money. AA will follow UA & DL if they think they can make money doing so. They won't be in a position to do anything in this regard until they get the merger done, so they'll have a year or so to watch how UA & DL are affected by the switch, and respond accordingly. If UA and DL lose flyers, and more importantly, money, from this change, AA will likely keep their program the way it is. If, on the other hand, UA & DL suffer little ill effect from the switch, they'll switch too.

Personally, I think they'll switch eventually, but time will tell.

8MiHi and DiverDave like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Important to remember that not all flyers are created equal, so the money part is indeed the important factor. Perhaps easiest to measure for AA: will they lose a meaningful number high-value or revenue flyers to UA/DL due to the higher earnings those flyers might get there under to new revenue based programs?

Given all the other factors that might drive people to change their behavior, it might be tricky to analyze correctly.

6. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is an excellent question. In any case, they can sit and watch as I don't think they can make a change like this until the AA and US systems are merged next year.

David

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta and United aren't making the change until next year either...

8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe not so easy. AA will certainly lose people because they don't want to deal with the merger and all of it's related issues. Will that balance out any gain they get from people pissed at UA/DL?

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, it will be difficult to differentiate the causes. So far UA hasn't bothered to ask me why I have cut back my flying so much this year. Neither has Hilton reached out to me to ask what's going on... or Hyatt. Perhaps they sample and extrapolate.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember one important difference with AA is the upgrade program. AA elites (except Exec. Plat.) do not get automatic upgrades. They give certs worth 500 miles X4 per 10k miles flown (so a 750 mile trip requires 2 certs). That protects the F cabin quite a bit more.

WilliamQ likes this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good and bad...

Davescj likes this.
  12. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I thought seriously about going to AA for travel (esp as DL downsized MEM so much). To be honest, it was the upgrades and MEM SC that kept me DL. If the SC were to close, I'd probably switch carriers.

WilliamQ likes this.
  13. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meanwhile, I'm wondering where my pal RTS is.:( I hope the shark and sharklets are okay. :cool:

Davescj likes this.
  14. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying a BE mistake fare to an exotic local credited to AS MP? Hope so!

On that note MP has been quieting for months. Lots of posters disappearing - some not returning it seems.

15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the whole MP apparently... I do see Delta forums slowing down but the United forum is absolutely lively as ever...

16. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey ho! Glad to see such concern for the historic enemy of DL SM among the faithful. Honor among combatants and all that.

As for the itins... sort of :) Just back from six weeks in Lat Am/EU on a giant concoction of discounted/FDed/GPU'ed UA itins, MP awards on TK/TP/SN and twenty other paid sectors, including DL's mejor-en-su-clase compadres at BA, AB, VS and others.

Crediting to AS MP, yes, although not in enough volume because these intra-EU BA hops are short.

To David's point: MP's changes do suck. They are equally mejor en su clase as Jeff's efforts. UA has abandoned MP as a competitive weapon and followed, very unimaginatively and hopefully counterproductively, DL's "lead." I condemn it wholeheartedly and confirm it will impact my flying patterns and choices to some extent. It means fewer optional or voluntary flights on UA. Bear in mind, I'm not a UA cheerleader, simply a customer who values MP's historical ease of redemption, its transparency, reach and value. I'm not the only one, tends of thousands agree and there are plenty of UA elites solely by virtue of MP and not hard product.

AA however hAAve not followed the piper into the sewer.

The UA MP change by itself doesn't actually affect me as much as it might have done a few years ago. I just won't harvest a high proportion of RDMs from UA flying. But at this point, I generate more than 90% of my total points/miles from biz spend, I've diversified my FF portfolio, and the fact that I'm international means I retain 1K status for the time being, so it has limited impact.

In a way it's a relief. For years I've engaged in MRs and other BIS activities for the purpose of RDMs and several of my efforts, although modest by the standards of global MR champions like Mark Tacchi, burned me out.

From 2007 for example:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nort...2656-one-month-almost-50-000-bis-redtail.html

Or 2010:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...-bis-star-performance-evaluation-dl-note.html

No more of that, or at least, of routing the long-long way - a skill that served the RDM master well:) 100k BIS is relatively easy and not too insane, but beyond that, it gets harder and there need to be reasons.

As for SharkJr, he is well...but upset because the changes mean "I won't keep my Premier Silver card...." So he learns early. Also, he's still young.... at NCE on our megatrip, SharkJr evidenced no interest in the girls who wear almost no clothes on the beach - but the fishies were irresistable :)

DiverDave likes this.