Calling All "Lifetime" Silver Wings Members! Interested in Talking to UA About Its Commitment?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Fredd, Aug 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. Fredd and I each paid a somewhat hefty fee to become "Lifetime" members of Silver Wings, a program that UA marketed to senior citizen flyers that included some quite good domestic and international zone-type fares.

In April 2007 UA announced its intention to cancel the program. It provided refunds or credits of sorts to annual members. Rather than refunding our lifetime membership fees, UA stated that "If you joined Silver Wings before September 2005, you will retain access to special Zone Fares." I posted about the termination of the program here on FT.

Mrs. Fredd and I had pretty well given up on it after a number of frustrating attempts to book fares.

Fast forward to August 2011 and another lifetime member has announced on FT that he would like to pursue the matter.

We will be getting in touch with him. The thread can be found here.

2. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I each bought life time SILVERWINGS. Ripped off big time.
    They're hoping we will just go away, which I guess we have?

3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I got suckered into this too and have absolutely nothing other than a skinnier wallet to show for it! Count me in if you're doing a petition or something similar.

dgcpaphd, JohnDeere19 and Fredd like this.
  4. dgcpaphd

dgcpaphd Silver Member

Status Points:
    RichardInSF, JohnDeere19 and Fredd like this.
  5. dgcpaphd

dgcpaphd Silver Member

Status Points:
    JohnDeere19 and Fredd like this.
  6. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Count me in too. Maybe they figured if they low-profiled it for a few years there wouldn't be enough of us left to complain. :)

7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the responses and also welcome dgcpaphd. :) Here's to geezer power! :D

dgcpaphd, FF100 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sound like something you could complain about to your state attorney general's office, maybe the DoT...don't let them get away with things like this.

dgcpaphd, TimeZoneCST and Fredd like this.
  10. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your point is excellent. Now that the issue has been brought forward, I'm hoping that there can be an amicable resolution.

dgcpaphd and JohnDeere19 like this.
  11. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    dgcpaphd and Fredd like this.
  12. FF100

FF100 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +2

We tried a few times but the zone fares never were competitive with other fares.

dgcpaphd likes this.
  13. dgcpaphd

dgcpaphd Silver Member

Status Points:
    If and when you can purchase a Silverwings ticket (rarely) they are higher in price than some other fares offered by United. However, the good thing is the Silverwings fares are ticketed in V which allows us to use a System Wide Upgrade with the tickets.

If you are also a member of Flyertalk.com, would you mind posting your comment you made over there as well as here? I am trying to accumulate a lot of posts from lifetime members who have not been able to purchase Silverwings tickets. After I accumulate more names, I will attach a copy of the Flyertalk.com thread to another letter I plan to send to United. The thread on Flyertalk.com can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-commitment-lifetime-silverwings-members.html

Thank you.

14. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there any other lifetime Silver Wings members who haven't checked in here yet?

dgcpaphd likes this.
  15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both my parents signed up for it

dgcpaphd likes this.
  16. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you'd like to let them know that there at least 10 or more lifetime members so far between here and FT who are interested in pursuing an amicable and mutually beneficial resolution with UA.

Are either or both of them members of either forum?

dgcpaphd likes this.
  17. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but I'd be more than happy to help th pursue the matter on their behalf

dgcpaphd likes this.
  18. dgcpaphd

dgcpaphd Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your parents could book a Silverwings fare, would they be inclined to do so?

The problem with the program is that it currently does not function the way it is described on United's site. We are trying to motivate United to get the program fixed so that we lifetime members can use the program the way United said it would work when we paid for a lifetime membership.

United needs to understand that we are not happy with the way they "dropped the ball" with handling their side of the contract that was created when United accepted our money for a lifetime membership.

If you could post a response here or at the other forum (Flyertalk.com) it might help get United to stop ignoring us and its obligation with the respect to the contract.

Here is the web address for the Flyertalk.com thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-commitment-lifetime-silverwings-members.html

Thanks

19. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed!

dgcpaphd likes this.
  20. nor4

nor4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is an example of something happening in many corners of the world. When those controlling information, power, etc ignore the needs of those they serve, it is now possible for those "customers" to band together and demand responsible behavior.

It's a bit like the Arab Spring, but on a smaller scale. Maybe we're the Silver Summer.

I've written UA myself and emailed with dgcpaphd on this. I think we should increase the drumbeat and open a dialog with the new United leadership. Smisek has a background in law, IT and customer relations - all of which are key components of the failure of the Silverwings program, so perhaps he'll see the possibilities of making this a win-win for United and its customers. Or at least avoid a PR and legal fiasco.

dgcpaphd likes this.
  21. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    To those of you that are pursuing this, I really want to thank you, and count me in as a little drummer boy.
    My wife and I each purchased this program when it first came out and only used it a few times because, quite frankly, it was APITA to get the certs approx 3 months out for around $25 or was it $50 bucks each and then apply them to international zone fares. But they were upgradeable with SWU's which made it really nice, and the prices were very reasonable. As I mentioned, getting the certificates which were limited to a certain amount per quarter or was it per year, again if I'm not mistaken, was kind of a pain but, as of late, with fares going up by around $600.00+ to use SWU's this program would come in handy for me now.
    My wife has since passed away, which is what UA would probably hope would happen to the rest of us, but I say let's keep beating the drum, and perhaps we will at least get a $500.00 cert for the rug being pulled out from under us.

I don't post on FT anymore, but count me in from a MilePoint point of view!
    I'm here if you need some backup with dealing with UACO!

22. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm so sorry to hear about your wife but I'm pleased you're joining our "cause." I'm looking forward to finding out what response dgcpaphd receives before taking any further steps on my own. I think UA might be more inclined to take steps to fix the problems and begin to meet its commitments to lifetime members if a significant number of us communicate with them simultaneously or jointly.

EX-LAX likes this.
  23. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me know --- When & Where it's going down and I'm on-board!

U da man - Fredd!!!

Fredd likes this.
  24. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they would be more interested ingesting their money back.

25. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yo (raising a hand).

Tried the SilverWingsPlus lifetime offer back in the mid '90s, and even still have my blue LIFE card.

After they changed the process, I checked with them a couple times, and in each case the SWP fare was not the lowest available for the itinerary I wanted. I've not checked SWP for years.

I agree that it would be nice if United would fix the program so it works like it was supposed to. I'll post on the FlyerTalk thread for you and dgcpaphd.