Call me a Social Butterfly, but....

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Efilon87, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am heading off to China at the end of this week and wanted some advice. I use Twitter and Facebook frequently, and I know those sites (among others) are blocked in China. YAY Communism!!!! Is there anyway around that block? Or, am I just going to have to go silent on Twitter for my time in China?

mht_flyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't experienced the web blockages at major western hotels in big cities, although CNN can revert to static when sensitive topics are discussed.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just enjoy China without being a Social Butterfly :D You'll get to appreciate the diverse culture much more whilst there!

mht_flyer, Sweet Willie and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel to China at least twice every year and I have not experienced any web blockages. I think that as long as you do not say anything considered "subversive", the Chinese government would love to have you (it is the only country for which I get a multiple entry visa for a year without questions asked) because you would probably spend in a week what the locals spend in a month, and the red gov just loves the green stuff:p.

I agree that you'll get much more out of it by doing less of the social butterfly thing and more of the mingling with locals, who are super nice...

sobore and Sweet Willie like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to strongly agree, I strive not to go online, check email, etc etc as I want to immerse myself in the vacation/trip and bow to different priorities instead of being locked electronically.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in China twice early last year. Both times I could access Twitter, but Facebook was blocked.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning some heavy travel for the summer and it really has me upset that, for the first time, I will have to take a laptop with me to be able to work remotely. One of the pleasures of travel (becoming increasingly hard to attain in the modern world) is the separation from everyday concerns and responsibilities.

8. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I should have clarified that when I travel, I usually disconnect everything so I can enjoy the culture. The only time I would be "socializing" with the internet would be right when I wake up to let me twee-ple (twitter people) know what the itinerary is for the day. And the only reason I would check my e-mail would be to tell my mother Im still alive and not in a Chinese jail. The computer will also allow me to dump the pictures from the day into my iPhoto. There is always one person in a tour group that is on their blackberry/iPhone the entire tour. Most of my time will be spent looking through the lens of my DSLR.

Good to know! Thanks!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does Hong Kong have the same restrictions on websites like facebook, etc, that they do in Mainland China?