Call for help: US Airways Mileage Mall offer w/ EasyCGI

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Randy Petersen, Aug 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Recently an offer provided through the US Airways Dividend Miles Mileage Mall featuring EasyCGI was found to have had some fulfillment problems and a recent statement from EasyCGI that "EasyCGI has never approved or gave permission to be a part of frequent flyer mile program." seems to be leading to confusion as to if this offer was legitimate or not. If you have any experience with this offer, we'd love to hear from you. Looking for members whose miles have posted, members whose miles have not posted and more importantly, members who have actually been able to enroll in the services provided by EasyCGI so that officials of these organizations can track down exactly what happened. The search for the mystery merchant begins. From what knowledge we have, the offer was valid in June.

2. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I have a problem with this company! Their offer was for ~4700 miles/purchase and I made a bunch of purchases. A day later I found that all my purchases except one had been cancelled-- no idea why and they won't tell me but they did refund my credit card. The last one, though, they're still billing me a monthly fee on (didn't want to cancel till this gets resolved). They gave me ~4700 miles but those got revoked like a week later. I guess that was from the one purchase they didn't cancel.

US says they can't give miles till the vendor says to, and nobody else is answering my emails. I've got screenshots of everything. I can post those when I'm on a proper computer and not smartphone.

HansGolden, JohnDeere19 and Sagy like this.
  3. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought from EasyCGI using the HA shopping site. All of my purchases were charged to my credit card (screen shots available if needed) and I only got credited for a single purchase which was "deducted".
    [​IMG]
    The deal was very clear:
    [​IMG]
    Every since I have goten the run around from EasyCGI, but not the miles. :mad:

HansGolden, dcpatti and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got involved in this deal and have been having issues with getting miles to post. Here's a screenshot EasyCGI-US_Offer_on_06-23.JPG

I've had some miles post, but not all of them that should have. Randy, hopefully you can help me and all those affected fix this issue!

Sagy likes this.
  5. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    I participated in a similar offer with EasyCGI for web hosting and related hosting products whereas every non-restricted purchase would earn me 7269 Hawaiian Airline miles. I did a lot of purchases for a lot of miles on the airline through its web portal function.

I did see but one posting of 7269 miles referencing the vendor about a week after doing this (on 6/20) but then it promptly disappeared and was taken back. As it turns out, I also did have one posting for US AIr miles but that too was taken away.

Later I talked with the company's CS manager and he told me there was some rogue affiliate who set this all up and that person was fired. Because of this, Easy CGI felt they were off the hook but I say no. I actually recorded his call and have a web file for it. I also saved screen shots of every step of my processes (the reason I save them is because airline deals--especially mall ones--always mess up and make huge mistakes so you have to have ample proof to show them you are on top of things!)

that said, I have also been in contact with Hawaiian Airlines (HA) and am trying to figure out how to get them to help me make EasyCGI fess up and give the miles.

I have emails and other information saved from both the CSM and other personnel at the company containing conflicting information or reasoning as to why they do not wish to honor these miles. Most importantly is their claim they never honored such offers or even put them forth on the public domain of the Web! And yet, I have screen shots of the very offer I am talking about! How can that be?

I live in the area of where this company is located. I used to work on the same street in fact.
    Also, there's a company called Free Cause that handles many such transactions between vendors and airlines. They are Boston based too. I suppose they may wish to meet with people like me at some point---there are probably a lot of us. I am doing a lot of research on this and I believe HA and US both use FreeCuase to handle this sort of transaction.

Airline malls always make offers they cannot honor or somehow mess up later. I have had instances where you wait say 60 days for something to post, then another week or two to see if it has, and then you contact them and they tell you that from THIS point it needs another 30-60 to post IF they believe you! OMG that's a long time for their own stupidity, innit?

Add to this is that fact that often times it's hard to figure out whose to blame or why they falter so much--in fact, HOW can they? I mean, there are competent people who are OUT of work, and yet there are these jokers actually getting away with the badly designed marketing promos that entice people to buy only to not give the very reward we set out to obtain! IMO they should be dragged out of their cubicles and sent away without pay. It may not seem like a big deal to some people but to me, when I sign up for something and the promise is X, I want X. If i do not get it or if I get the run around, trust me, they really would have been better off just giving me the X.

:)MM

Attached Files:

6. BryanIAH
    Original Member

BryanIAH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was also involved but only received miles for about 1% of my eligible purchases...it's interesting to see that I'm not the only one having issues with this!

HansGolden, Sagy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So some people did this and actually GOT some miles? And yet here I am hearing that EZ claims to have never set forth any such mileage deal of any kind ever. (Their parent company, Endurance, has. And they have even more recently changed their terms for any deals from now on! It's as if they realized they are a bunch of F ups!) Anyway DO TELL about your miles that you have gotten. Strange (but good on ya!)

8. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone get miles and not have them taken back?

Sagy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. BryanIAH
    Original Member

BryanIAH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd have to check my notes but I think I received around 15K from HA and 95K from US. If you're hearing that no one received miles that's simply not true.

10. BryanIAH
    Original Member

BryanIAH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me!

11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did, but no where near what I was due (some were taken away as well). I also bought through HA and got 0 miles over there.

Sagy likes this.
  12. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, some got em, some did not. vendor claims it did not exist, and yet something in at least two computer systems make miles end up in the above peoples' accounts! That to me means this: That it at least proves how disorganized these people are at the vendor, EasyCGI. Hey stupid marketing plans will make you suffer I guess. But they gotsta honor what was in print in the public domain at the time it was offered, right?

13. OneSweetWorld
    Original Member

OneSweetWorld Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is like that US Airways Booking Buddy 18 miles per $1 fiasco. I did that and booked 2 economy tickets to India for my parents at $2,300 total. I netted almost 50k US Airway miles from their promo. Miles never posted, so I sent in a screen shot and 2 months later got the miles. Remember to always take screen shots!

14. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    yes take screen shots indeed!
    This is all very much like the old days with mailing in two box tops and a bar code with a SASE by a certain date. The thing is the marketing folk at these companies bank on the theory that (A) half the people will screw up in what they have to gather and mail, and the others wont keep good records or they will not send it in anyway. So they make coin. But when you actually produce proof that you did everything exactly right, they have to give. Then again, they can, as in the case of this EasyCGI debacle, still try to wiggle around it somehow... for a while that is.

I once took a picture of the postman taking my envelope to prove I sent it hahaha.

But circling back to main topic... it also comes down to trying to find the persons who run things and make decisions at the airline, the vendor and the entity that handles such transactions. Get them on your side and you can get things to move forward.

15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was not aware of this offer, but as a very small time 7+ year affiliate I wanted to share what I expect happens in cases like this.

(All of the following statements are my opinion – I’m not legal and just am providing feedback.)

My gut feeling on this top is that the vendor EasyCGI had nothing to do with this promotion – they are paying their affiliates up to $110 per sign up – so Kobie Marketing (source) who manages the Hawaiian Airlines calculated that they can pay X miles per sign up.

The question is if EasyCGI’s terms did allow this – per the way back machine on February 2011 – June 29th 2011 they did not prohibit it:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20090225133137/http://www.easycgi.com/affiliate/affiliateagreement.bml
    Based on that agreement anyone promotion their program through a rewards program probably can demand payment –however they are covered via:

8. Term and Termination: This Agreement shall continue until this terminated by either party. You will be terminated from the program, by e-mail notice, if (i) you do not follow the Links Guidelines or otherwise breach this Agreement, (ii) you attempt to manipulate, falsify or erroneously inflate Referrals. In addition, your failure to comply with our Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy will be grounds for termination.
    Any outstanding Referral Fees otherwise due to you will be forfeited if this Agreement is terminated for any reason. EasyCGI reserves the right to terminate this Agreement and your participation in this Program immediately and without notice. If any fraud or abuse is detected with respect to any Referral, or if this Agreement is terminated for any reason, EasyCGI shall not be liable for any Referral Fees.

It still comes down to you having a relationship with Hawaiian Airlines/Kobie Marketing, your contract for miles is with them – not EasyCGI – so I personally feel it is wrong to blame EasyCGI – but rather you should work through the shopping portal and within the terms that your relationship is built on. Only Kobie Marketing knows what agreement they had with EasyCGI.

Versus today they do – they must have changed it recently - http://www.easycgi.com/affiliate/affiliateagreement.bml (They also are with Commission Junction cj.com – however I doubt I can share those terms as a member of cj.com)

5. Commission Determination
    EasyCGI, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to withhold indefinitely any Commission Fee, and/or to reverse, deny or reject any Commission Fee, for:
    o Referred Customers that have been offered or received coupons, refunds, credits or discounts from the Affiliate or for Referred Customers who have joined a business opportunity program that is managed or participated in by the Affiliate, unless EasyCGI has provided written permission.

Also note
    5. Commission Determination
    Commission Fees may not be paid for the Qualified Purchase if the Referred Customer has been offered or received coupons, refunds, credits or discounts from the Affiliate or if the Referred Customer has joined a business-opportunity program (as determined by EasyCGI in its sole discretion) that is managed or participated in by the Affiliate, unless EasyCGI has provided its prior written permission.

"Qualified Purchase" - a sale of EasyCGI Products and Services by EasyCGI, with a term of 12 months or longer, to a Referred Customer which meets the criteria set forth in Section 4 hereof.

A lot of background The shopping portal management companies (same with breadcrumbs, fat wallet, your favorite mileage credit card bloggers, etc..) are large affiliate companies who are paid by companies to market their products. Let’s call them affiliates and vendors. The affiliates generally find the vendors through an affiliate network like, cj.com, linkshare.com and the like. Generally a relationship starts when an affiliate finds a program from they want to join in an affiliate network, they click a link to sign up and they are either automatically accepted or go into a queue where the vendor or the vendor’s contract affiliate manager approves the affiliate. The affiliate is bound by certain terms and conditions that the vendor sets. The affiliate then promotes the vendor.

The rewards companies – like breadcrumbs, fat wallet and your local airline shopping portal are a different beast to the vendors since commonly they capture sales that will happen anyway – the customer is just using the portal to receive a reward – some firms try to prevent their products from being offered via these companies – others live and die by it – i.e. all floral companies –> versus normal affiliates like your friendly mileage credit card blogger who drive new people to sign up for credit cards – people who initially were not looking at that card….

So the rewards companies pay the customer for using their site – in cash or miles – and receive cash from the vendor. These programs breakdown a lot in that transaction, someone makes a purchase but the rewards company doesn’t get paid from the vendor so they don’t pay the customer. I assume that customer service for these organizations is like a coupon company – there are lots of problems and if they can provide poor enough customer service a large number or customers will not follow up on missing points.

Some reasons why a rewards company doesn’t receive commission on your purchase – maybe the rules are the first cookie gets the commission – so if you have a cookie set via an internet search, tool bar or other that overrides your purchase for the rewards program – maybe tracking is bad – maybe for whatever reason your sale is invalid in that purchase program (i.e. iPads until very recently)…

FYI: Most affiliates hate the rewards companies because they "steel" commissions that the affiliates drive - let’s say you use someone's Black Friday shopping site to find a deal on a TV, then you go to your shopping rewards site and by the TV - the sale was driven by the Black Friday site but so that you can get some $ you give the commission to the rewards site. Toolbars and the like are even worse because they just grab any and all commissions from affiliates working hard to promote products (and help you).

16. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks --I/we appreciate hearing something from another side, but a lot of that sounds like bull
    I'm not saying this bull is from you yourself--yet, but it's bull none the less.

We signed up for X, we get X. End of story.
    I don't really care from whom or how (nor should I have to), but I certainly do not like having to do the chasing. In fact I should be requiring extra mileage due to all the crap I have had to deal with to get this far!

That said, someone out there is on the hook for my miles, and since EasyCGI has skirted around this for a while now, and made up reason after reason as to why they fail to deliver, I happen to think it's them.I have evidence as to how they are making up reasons like the ones you brought up above--things they have said people like me MUST have done wrong to not get miles. But trust me, after having been doing transactions involving miles for the past 15 years, I can assure you I crossed my Ts and dotted my Is. I also have screenshots to show it, and have given them to both the airline and the vendor. The vendor is ignoring them. Further proof of their guilt in my opinion. Why aren't they more forthcoming, transparent and helpful here? Why not give up their supposed rogue affiliate that they actually claimed they have? (and it's funny you should mention such a thing)

Seems to me is that you are proposing is that the whole thing is an uncertain game of sorts... I mean based on what you are saying above, we toolbar and emall users are supposed to, what, just wing it when we buy things online and blindly 'hope' we someday get miles we are going for?

Isn't there something wrong with marketing personnel enticing people to shop at vendor A vs. vendor B with a promise that MAY never come to fruition? The existence of mile promises is what made people like me shop at this company to begin with and so I expect what I came for. For them not to deliver --regardless of my further participation with the company after I did my part--is a SCAM. Plain and simple.

And so, if you are in fact someone who actually participates in any entity that endorses this sort of practice then you are not helping consumers at all--no, you would be hurting them. If you are this type of person, then you too would be scamming people like me.I hope I am very wrong indeed.

Like I said, I so far do not think the bull is coming from you. Would be nice to now figure out how to get the missing link to fess up and pay up!

17. travelkid

travelkid Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did quite some research beforing setting up some large web hosting accts, which were planned to be used for years. I took the offer which gave me most miles (as usual) for my $ after checking the merchants background. Both me and my wife got some 50k+ miles posting, but lots of missing miles, and some were deducted. Easy just cancelled all accts on suspicion of fraud, despite checking all with their CS by chat, clearing with my CC company etc

Would love to get in touch with others who have been scrwed by this. Based on the last post, it looks like its the affiliate to blame, in this case freecause has to pay. Would be interesting to see their contract. Hopefully Freecause (with help of Easy/US) will honor the deal without too much bad PR, news stories and legal action. Its good we are many so we can share contacts, screenshots, background, expenses etc.

18. beaubo
    Original Member

beaubo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi ioliare-

Thanks for sharing your analysis.

I am not well-versed on the mechanics of affiliate programs.

As a participant in the EasyCGI offer, I can report on the following:
    * if there was a third party affiliate involved (legit or 'rogue' as EasyCGI ha claimed), there was no evidence on the mileage mall offer nor was there a website address redirect at any point during the purchase process that I believe usually indicates an affiliate relationship.
    * The US/HA mileage mall administrator, FreeCause, advised me a month ago that they were investigating the unilateral cancellation of our mileage qualifying purchases and the subsequent series of new 'pretexts' to justify continued mileage earning denial. At no point during that month, has FreeCause advised that any affiliate, let alone a 'rogue' affiliate was involved in the EasyCGI mileage mall offers with US and HA.
    * EasyCGI claims a 'rogue' affiliate made an unauthorized and fraudulent mileage mall offer, yet when a fellow participant asked for the identity of the offending party, EasyCGI curiously would not divulge their identity, citing 'privacy policy. Since when does a company that had its prospective customers and its own marketing department defrauded, decide to protect the identity of an offending affiliate???
    * Whether the vendor direct or via an affilaite, isn't there some type of vetting process by the mileage mall administator (FreeCause) or mileage malls (US and HA) that ensures that the party that initiates an offer has the wherewithal to fulfill the offer.

19. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's what I know:
    • US and HA shopping malls had offers for EasgyCGI that gave 4757 & 7269 miles/online purchase (respectively) with "no restrictions at this time"
    • About 2 weeks after my purchases, they were all cancelled and some (not all, even if cancelled) purchases were refunded to my account with no notification from EasyCGI about what had happened
    • Some miles posted, most did not, some that posted got deducted
    • EasyCGI first claimed fraudulent purchases on my part, then agreed that it wasn't fraud, but claimed that my use of the storage violated their T&Cs, then since I hadn't even used the product yet, they changed their story again, and claimed that there was a fraudulent affiliate, but won't say who or what happened due to "privacy policies"
    • US has forwarded my requests to their partner marketing affiliate (Freecause?), but I have not heard anything back
    • HA has forwarded my requests to their partner marketing affiliate (Kobie?), but I have not heard anything back
    • EDITED: Also, they pulled their offer from both shopping malls and after doing some digging, I found out that their parent company (Endurance) had adjusted the T&C's and offers or outright pulled other companies listed on the malls.
    I don't know where to turn or what to do and it's extremely frustrating.

HansGolden and Sagy like this.
  20. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel that your relates to your agreement/contract between you and the shopping portal. Therefore your beef should be with the shopping portal.

My biggest issue is that you and EasyCGI had no contractual agreement relationship regarding miles - a third party shopping portal promised you miles if you did something, it failed to deliver those miles, it is that’s third party's responsibility provide customer support on this issue. That third party most likely has little motivation to help you, but still that is who you should be pursuing for resolution.

The same thing happened with the life lock deal a few years ago, people looking for miles hounded the CEO to a point where he stopped taking phone calls – that was not the right thing for the mileage community to do, if you have an issue with the US Airways shopping portal it is US Airway shopping portal’s responsibility to provide customer service on that issue. The mechanics of these offers are setup and administered by the shopping portal.

I don’t think the vendor is in a position to even understand the issue. It’s the shopping portals duty to make good, how that involves the vendor really should be irrelevant to you.

I bring up things like the affiliate terms because that is the rules that the shopping portal works under – it gives you some background on their relationship with EasyCGI – unfortunately your relationship is governed under an agreement between you and the shopping portal – that is what you need to brush up on to see if you can force resolution.

21. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well in some Disney movies, this is where the townspeople all grab pitch forks and shovels and march to the castle to try and get the beast... I do not advocate the anger part, but I see that EasyCGI is located in Burlington, MA and so maybe we need a BOS MP DO! lol

22. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also let me state that I believe EasyCGI opened themselves up for this promotion either initially via some sort of promotion set up by their affiliate manager or by not having terms and conditions which limited this type of activity (as they do now) and attempted to back out after the fact.

I feel that is an issue for the shopping portal to make good on – unless their agreement with you allows them an out for little/no reason. How they resolve the issue with EasyCGI is their problem.

23. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so if you are correct about this, then going forward, how is anyone to know this stuff--I mean I might get some of it now, but what about all the other first time suckers out there in this and other forums trying to get 1-100,000 miles for something they thought they did correctly? ie, someone new to all things miles makes a purchase thinking he or she will get the miles???

Now, where should it be written/informed to them upfront or otherwise that if there's an issue, they need to contact a certain entity to handle any problems? Obviously the first two entities that most people would contact when their miles failed to post would be the vendor and the airline. When and why should any person need to know of third party organizations? Wouldnt it be one of those two who would then deal with these organizations instead? And if they do, shouldn't they disclose what they are doing?

If I buy a COKE at Best Buy in a vending machine and there's a problem with the can, do I go to Best Buy or Coke or both? Is the chasing itself the thing that wears out consumers so that most never bother to finish up? Is this what companies are banking on will happen? Makes ya want to stay home and simply NOT consume. Then again, if everyone got smart and did that, this would be bad for the economy eh?

Yeah, lotsa questions. Makes you wonder why we all bother, eh?

But you are saying in the case of HA, Kobie is to blame perhaps. Just by chance, do you happen to have any information them? Names, numbers, contact, etc--people you yourself may have dealt with or even worked with in the past from there? Are they a part of this FreeCause? Does HA work with them on other deals? Who might I ask about this?

or does my asking of too many questions somehow make me less valid?

I am sure you can sense my frustration here and I thank you for at least offering up other views on the matter.

24. marathon man
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can say I pretty much agree with these!

25. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    General Discussion | Miles/Points
    If it's about miles and points, and isn't program specific, it fits here.

;)