Calin might offer E+

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by why fly, May 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/business/05LUXE.html?_r=3&ref=businessspecial
    Calin Rovinescu, chief executive at Air Canada, says the next transition will focus on a different customer — economy travelers who may be willing to pay something less than a business-class fare for extra legroom or a better meal.
    “The marketplace is asking the question, ought there be something between business class and economy, such as premium economy?” Mr. Rovinescu said. A number of airlines are already offering it: Continental with economy plus, Delta and Icelandair with economy comfort and Virgin America with main cabin select.

2. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds more like he is just letting everyone know about Comfort Plus. Hopefully I am wrong.

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so. He is probably looking at a small cabin between business and economy. The introduction of the 787 would be the ideal time to implement this new class.

4. Tangoer
    Original Member

Tangoer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over on the Senior Board for some time now I've insisted AC is moving towards a paid E+ model, of AC turning into mainly an E/E+ airline. The signs are clear:

- They ripped a few J rows out of the A320s
    - Opened up MLLs to pay-per use
    - Ditto the new hot BOB meals
    - LMUs offered to all fare classes even T.
    - OMW pay per use

J will stay for overseas, but domestially why not E/E+? A la carte all the way. Do you really need a lie flat seat for a YYZ-YXE trip?

5. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    What to do with positioning flights?A YYZ to YVR on a 777 in a lie flat seat is going to be sold as E Plus?

canucklehead likes this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not mind seeing a Supercomfort class on long-hauls. The question will be what the price point is and if it is an a la carte thing or a complete package a la SK or VS. If its an a la carte, hopefully they follow UA's lead and offer it free to their P/E/SE.

why fly likes this.
  7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    :mad:

you mean U-eh, right? :D

YULtide likes this.
  8. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about using our points to buy the new E+ ?

9. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been around much. Got pneumonia in UK and been recouping since.
    Suppose to be flying back to UK in 2 weeks. Hope I am feeling better.

Has everyone been playing nice during my absence? :)

YULtide, canucklehead and milchap like this.
  10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    flying-gal, was wondering how you were doing in the UK! sorry to hear about you getting pneumonia :(, but get some rest and have a safe flight home. :)

I suggested the use of e-upgrades for any proposed economy plus/supercomfort class if it is a hard product (better seat and food) as opposed to just UA-style E+ seating, which they would hopefully offer free to P/E/SEs (and maybe reciprocity if other * partners agree! :D)

YULtide and flying-gal like this.
  11. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    If AC does some sort of E+ for int'l flights, I wonder how will that affect the e-u/g credits? Hopefully int'l E+ upgrades will only cost some token nominal amount of credits ...

12. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The usual allegations, then denials, then retribution on the other boards ! Since you took ill only one thread was retired here.....not bad when considering who was involved !;)

13. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'm actually back in YVR ( last Monday ).
    Suppose to fly back to UK in 2 weeks time though. Then a third trip the first of July.
    Both of the next two trips are already booked using a flight pass.

YULtide likes this.
  14. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    how about a 2 tier upgrade? So many points for E+. Then a bit more for Business Class.
    Or allow upgrade to E + from a lower ticket fare ( then business upgrade ) plus points.

YULtide likes this.
  15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be pretty close to the intra-European J that most European airlines offer -- Y seating, maybe a bit of extra legroom, often a movable partition. Sometimes middle seats are blocked, usually service is better than in Y (though intra-Europe Y meals are much better than intra-North American Y on just about any airline).

milchap likes this.
  16. well if its just E+ lets hope its free for status flyers. However if its really the "new" wider seats in Y then it would be great. However with business class to asia crashing in price the last year, you have to wonder how its going to be priced. Business class on lay flat is $3200 to HKG what would E+ be?

17. Continental does not have E+ yet as usual the reported got his info wrong. And by the time Continental gets E+ they will be United :) So perhaps Continental will never have E+.
    CO is going to put wifi on all its 737 and 757 asap.

canucklehead likes this.
  18. AC is playing with their seating arrangements on the 787's and most likely have a comfort plus cabin as thye intend to use those planes on suoper long hauls mostly. They will probably upgrade J on those planes as well. Ac is starting to position themselves well and their AC lite that is coming will be interesting.

19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC's economy pitch is better than most carriers, so I discount the notion of an UA style E+. (Still pushing for more exclusivity in the "preferred seating" area, with blocked centre seats and any infilling taking place only after the back cabin of economy is full. This costs AC nothing and would go a long way to giving elites a more comfortable inflight experience.) But it makes more sense on widebodies to have an intermediate premium economy class mini cabin for those willing to pay a small premium (or upgrade at half the J upgrade rate).

20. They are making a killing with the comfort class upgrades on the summer flights to places like DUB....$149 each way for the old style J seat. That gives them ideas.

21. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I almost always fly paid J - rather than play the upgrade game - this would be a nice alternative for when I really don't need J - ie: shorter flights, aircraft where it's hard to tell the difference between J & E bulkhead.

Cheers,

22. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll ask the same question here as I asked on FT:

What are your thoughts on how AC will handle *A Miles upgrades with the new class?

WT+ on BA is a huge draw not only for the larger seat, but also because you can upgrade to J at the time of booking (with u/g space available of course) for only 50% of the miles required for a Y redemption. So 25K miles gets you J to LHR from anywhere in Canada. And WT+ tickets are noticeably lower in price than full fare Y.

23. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is $149 each way really a "killing"? Those lounge seats take up a lot more real estate and a $300 premium on a $1000-1500 return flight doesn't seem like that big a revenue generator to me.

24. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did AC not have a promotion for their top tier members offering a 99 dollar rate to destinations like Dublin?

25. ??? 32" seat pitch is hardly better than most airlines.?