California sues Delta Airlines for lack of mobile app privacy policy

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.csoonline.com/article/72...irlines-for-lack-of-mobile-app-privacy-policy

Delta, which was warned in October, could face a penalty of $2,500 for each time its Fly Delta application has been downloaded

California's attorney general has sued Delta Air Lines for failing to include a privacy policy within the company's mobile application, an alleged violation of the state's Online Privacy Protection Act.

The lawsuit, filed in Superior Court of San Francisco on Thursday, marks the first time the state has taken legal action to enforce the privacy law, which was enacted in 2004, according to a news release from Attorney General Kamala D. Harris. Delta also violates California's Unfair Competition Law, the lawsuit alleged.

Since 2010, Delta has distributed a mobile application called "Fly Delta" that allows people to manage their bookings, according to the suit. The application collects information such as a person's name, phone number, birth date, email address, frequent flyer account number and pin code, photo and geo-location data. It is alleged in the lawsuit that Delta customers do not know how their data is collected or used by the airline.

Delta could face a penalty of US$2,500 for each time a non-compliant mobile application is downloaded, the attorney general's office said. The application has been downloaded millions of times from Google's Play and Apple's iTunes application markets, according to the lawsuit.

Read More: http://www.csoonline.com/article/72...irlines-for-lack-of-mobile-app-privacy-policy

2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    "In October, Harris warned companies and developers of the 100 most popular applications that did not have a privacy policy, including Delta."

sobore likes this.
  3. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you think that this lawsuit is tied to the new DL baggage fees? $1,000 for the first bag, $1,500 for the second.

Mike

JoeCortez, sobore and USAF_Pride like this.
  4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Typical CA BS and is just another revenue grab from a state with the highest tax rates. I just love all the signs posted at every building that tell me that the building may contains items that cause cancer.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy $@it! :eek:

6. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Prop 65 article (notice who is getting $ from it)

They just had voted on a similar "Food labeling" prop (it failed) that would have required all foods that may contain genetically engineered products to be labeled. Here is a FYI, all farm seeds (corn, soybean, wheat, etc.) is genetically engineered in some way shape or form (I believe cross-breeding different varieties meets the definition).

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fly Delta is known to the omniscient state of California to cause cancer.

I had a similar thought - most of the information in the app would be in your account anyway.

I guess the app does have access to additional sensitive info, so I see at least some point. It's certainly on the weird side, though.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  8. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was an update for the app issued today that put the privacy policy on the app. I figured they would do that, I would think the suit would be dropped.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're assuming the government (of California, no less) would do something logical? :D

USAF_Pride likes this.
  10. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope that they would but then again it is California...:)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops

Is anyone surprised that DL is trying to capitalize all they can on the marketing?!?