Calgary

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by thegrailer, Dec 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am interested in going this winter - no particular reason except I can get there for 25k miles and it's almost as far west into the Canadian plains as I can go without an overnight. Any info would be appreciated. I've visited the Martimes and done a Bay of Fundy trip. I've been to YUL, YYZ and YOW. I spent a long weekend in Vancouver. I am looking for something different. Thoughts?

Cheers -

PhotoJim likes this.
  2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lots to see and do in/near Calgary. Rent a car and head to Banff National Park and see what the fuss is about. The BC border is just west and there are national parks on the other side of the border too that are worth exploring. Jasper is north of Banff and is the most beautiful, I think, but starting to get off the beaten track unless you have several days.

In the city there is quite a lot to do as well e.g. the Glenbow Museum. The Royal Tyrell Museum is one of the world's best dinosaur museums, and it's just an hour or so northeast in Drumheller.

thegrailer likes this.
  3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    How far to Banff? An overnight there or a day trip? If an overnight, a hotel suggestion? How are the roads in the winter? I am looking at 3 or 4 nights at most.

Thanks!!!

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    If traffic is good, Banff is only about an hour away but it still might be nice to stay. I haven't overnighted there in several years but if you do, I prefer staying in Lake Louise to Banff. A little further, but closer to the more interesting stuff IMHO.

Roads could be anywhere from bare and dry to very interesting. I'm not sure if many rental companies in Calgary rent cars with winter tires installed, but if you can find one, I'd recommend it.

thegrailer likes this.
  5. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Now the problem is finding an award ticket. I can get there, but the flight coming back are horrible :eek:.

Cheers

PhotoJim likes this.
  6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's your home airport? You could always pick up a cheap return segment on a different airline if you had to.