Calendar Download to iPad or iPhone

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Dec 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    New iPad and iPhone user.

A little surprised to see the United App doesn't have capability to download itineraries to calendar.

I go to my itineraries on either device and try to download to calendar, Safari says it can't do it.

Any suggestions from the more tech-savvy folks?

cordray2643 likes this.
  2. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like TripIt, particularly for flights between time zones. It generates a calendar feed which you can view on your iPhone or iPad, or alongside your personal calendar in apps like iCal and Google Calendar.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply.

Is that the only way to get the UA Flight Info downloaded to the iPhone calendar?

cordray2643 likes this.
  4. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for TripIt w/ RSS integration into Google Calendar. Gcal integrates with iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Outlook.

IMO, United shouldn't bother with being experts on calendar feeds; leave it to 3rd parties who specialize in this stuff.

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    United has an option next to each flight segment in your itineraries to "Download to calendar" that will download a vCalendar file. I've found they work pretty well for getting flight information into Outlook, which is what I use.

Once you have it in Outlook, then you have to get it to the iPhone. I haven't found a way to do that using Outlook for Mac. Apparently there is no way to make an iPhone sync with Outlook for Mac. However, I used to do it all the time when I used Windows. You may be able to load vCalendar files into iCal or Google Calendar, but I haven't tried it.

6. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Watch out, though, because your phone changes time zones as you do, and your calendar usually shifts along with it. If you simply input your flights in local time they will seem longer or shorter than they actually are, and they may get shifted in the calendar automatically when you reach your destination. This is really where TripIt shines -- you load your itinerary into TripIt using local times, and it generates a calendar feed in UTC time which your phone then translates back to whichever time zone you're in. It's hard to describe in writing, but if you try the app you'll see what I mean.

jupper likes this.
  7. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually document flights in my calender (CalDAV based), and place them in their respective departure timezones, to prevent those problems. But if you input them with the correct (shifted) departure time and appropriate length, you should be fine in all but the most weird calendering solutions.

8. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is how it works on a PC with an iPad and iPhone. From the UAL website I download to my calendar (Outlook/PC). As part of my iCloud setup it added an interface from Outlook to iCloud - and there is a button on my Outlook to "refresh iCloud". It will automatically sync within a time limit that I specify or I can simply click on the refresh button and off it goes to the iCloud and then gets pushed down to my iPhone and iPad.

Since iCloud is sort of native to the MAC platforms there must be an easy interface to iCloud from Outlook for the Mac.