Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by Mike1625, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, since we still need more content here on MP, and I couldn't find a thread, I thought I would start one.

I am heading to Cabo next Monday (male, 35, going alone - but also happily married) - I wanted to ask those who have been for any tips, things I have to do, things to avoid.

I know this is a selfish way to start a thread, but hopefully others can benefit from whatever you share with me. I am staying on the Marina, so Cabo Wabo is on the list, but I need more tips.

2. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm back from Cabo, and wanted to share some info for those are considering going.

First, SJD airport is pretty far from actual Cabo San Lucas. You have 2 options, shuttle bus (which was on a full sized bus) or cab ($70) .... if you are 1 or 2 people, the shuttle is great, I was the last stop, and actually loved the trip and the view out the bus windows. Full sized modern bus, very comfortable .... cost was $16 all the way into central Cabo ..... but I missed one important thing. If you don't buy a roundtrip at the airport, then you can never book the return and you get stuck paying the cab fare. They sort of hide this from you, so either insist on buying the roundtrip at the airport, or be ready to be creative. ..... for me, I walked 15 mins. around the Marina to a resort that offered shuttle service back to the airport. If you are traveling 4 or more, just get the cab, otherwise, make a good decision.

I never drank tap water, but had plenty of no-no's and never got sick. I had tacos from a local stand, drink with ice, never worried too much, and never got sick.

I stayed at the Marina Fiesta, which is normally a time share, but also sells rooms. It was pretty nice. Location was awesome.

Cabo Wabo was fun, as was the beach.

Only negative, you have to be ready to be pushed by the time share sales people, all the time, over and over.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gadling.com article (Click to see the article and it's current photo.)
    April 14, 2011: "Every four to seven years, the tide surrounding the iconic Arch of Los Cabos (El Arco) recedes to reveal a pristine, white sand beach. This natural phenomenon is happening today in Los Cabos. If you're in the area, stop by and check it out!"

We honeymooned in Los Cabos. We went scuba diving here near the arches one day. On another day we dove at the rather isolated Cabo Pulmo National Marine Park's coral reefs about 90 minutes north of San Jose del Cabo. (Some huge schools of fish and rays were at Cabo Pulmo. Sea lions were in the water, though we unfortunately never encountered them while underwater during those dives.)

Below is a spectacular photo of this tidal phenomenon in 2008 (not my photo or blog):

[photo link removed upon request]

Source: http://blog.ronhebron.com/2008/12/stuck-in-cabo.html

gadling and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    We drove up the west coast a bit from Cabo San Lucas to the 'artists' town of Todos Santos. While a beautiful drive, the art in Todos Santos was not that prolific(as is often billed) and not really to our liking.

The following restaurant while not in Cabo San Lucas but in the slower paced San Jose del Cabo (we we far prefer), is well worth seeking out. Don Emilianos is an open air restaurant that serves some fantastic food. We enjoyed Hildago inspired lamb and fresh, local caught yellowfin tuna served with a homemade chili oil. The chef will frequently come out and sit with guests to discuss the food & the Mexican wines that are served. http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gu...abo/66969/don-emiliano/restaurant-detail.html

we did as well, and while you state that unfortunately the sea lions were not out on your dive, they were on ours. Sounds like a neat experience but when one comes zooming up to w/in a foot of your face, you very quickly realize that you are in THEIR world and pretty much helpless if they decide to tussle with you. Our dive instructor, once on the boat, said he was petrified of them as they've ripped off equipment from him & other divers he knows.

On our second dive, we saw the sand falls - First discovered in the Jacques Cousteau television series The Underwater World of Jacques Cousteau, Sand Falls is where an underwater waterfall of sand cascades down the chute and into the 1,200 foot canyon below.

ffitalia and SC Flier like this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question - we are going to Cabo in November is there any downside to renting a car?

We have most of our nights at nice cheap place near the harbor, but our flights changed to give us another night, and I got a Priceline night at the Westin ($89 after tax/fees on a $70 bid). So we now have one night out of town. Not wanting to pay for a cab to get there and back to the airport I noticed Priceline’s offer of a rental car for $7/day after taxes!

Looking into it more I see dirt cheap car rentals starting at $43/week/after taxes from US companies! That would be less than transport from the airport one-way. Parking would be free for most of our vacation. We have the usual credit cards, plus full coverage at home so we don’t buy onsite insurance. Generally when we travel we use public transportation when convenient, we are too lazy to drive when on vacation.

And major downside to renting a car versus dealing with the expensive airport transport?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    only downside IMO is the parking you may pay at your lodging. I've always like having a car as we dislike being locked into a resort's dining (anywhere, not just Cabo), let alone the beautiful scenery you can experience outside of Cabo. Good find on the $7 a day !

iolaire likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    So later I figure out that the cars are dirt cheap, but all the sites recommend you buy Mexican insurance (and you might be required to) that runs $25/day, so that is where the rest of the cost is. Thus we opted for a shared shuttle (tomorrow).

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, first of all, I rented a car last year, and I will rent a car again this year. I love having the freedom to go where I want when I want. Particularly, I like exploring the entire Los Cabos area.

But, you need to have your wits about you when you rent a car in Mexico. The insurance thing is really confusing. Plus the car rental agency will likely try to rip you off, time and time again. Check out this article on one experience of renting a car in Cabo San Lucas. http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com/blog/cabo-san-lucas-car-rental-scams/

Blatant rip off attempts:
    - empty tank of gas
    - adding an extra day on the rental
    - switching the rental rate
    - requiring larger deposit than contract said

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014