Cabo award flights cancelled by UA. Option suggestions?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, May 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few weeks ago I used miles to book 2 saver award tickets from SMF to SJD in Sept. I get an email confirmation with all the flights. 105,000 taken from my account (only one way was saver) + $152 and some change for taxes/fees. As you can imagine I was a little confused/ not happy when I logged in and checked my reservations that it now show I have a r.t. ticket to Los Angeles instead. No Mexico flights. So I called United about it, turns out they are cancelling all their flights to SJD (Thanks for letting me know that guys!). Between now and then 7 days a week flights are going to 4 days a week to 1 day a week. The best they have been able to offer me if different dates and a flight on US airways with an overnight in PHX (my expense). Other than that they said there is first class availability on US airways, but they can't give that to me. Nothing on Continental, or via SFO, or via DEN.

So here's how I feel- I booked a ticket with them, they confirmed it, they should honor it. I still would like to go to Cabo. Worst case scenario would be cancelling my trip, and getting a full refund which I don't want to do. Just wondering what all my options are...any suggestions?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be great if they honored it. But if the plane isn't flying you cannot make that happen.

Sadly, they have an out in the CoC that permits them to simply refund you the fare paid and cancel the flight if they see fit. Basically everything else is a negotiation between you and them to find something that works schedule-wise for you and which they're willing to issue as a ticket. If there are UA or CO metal flights that work press for those, including asking them to have revenue management open up the appropriate inventory to accommodate you.

Good luck.

3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Funny thing is they didn't refund the ticket, or even contact me about the schedule change. They just changed my ticket to go to LAX and back. :mad:

I'm on the phone with them right now, going on 1hr 27minutes. Looks like I can go 2 weeks earlier, some of it on United, some on US, on a full saver award (not partial like before). This is assuming the lady I'm on hold with can actually get it booked sometime between now and when I leave in August...:(

4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, no... I could have but it would have involved a red-eye flight from Sacramento to Houston, then a really bad connection (like 6 hour layover) to get to Cabo.

The lady helping me finally pulled it off after 1hr and 26min on the phone with her- full saver award (instead of mixed) which saves us 35,000 miles though :)
    SMF-PHX-SJD, SJD-PHX-LAX-SMF, mostly on US. Going in August instead of September.

Really weird how UA is cancelling ALL of their flights to Cabo from LAX, SFO, and DEN.

Anyway, on a separate note, and I also asked this over in Newbies- I still need a seat assignment on US and wondering which sides of the plane are best to sit on PHX-SJD and SJD-PHX. Any suggestions?

spaced2 likes this.
  5. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    yep some pretty weird changes out West are a comin down

My Labor Weekend flights from SFO-ONT-SFO were Cxed and that meant leaving alot earlier then I wanted to on my return and a lengthy layover on my way there, flying out of JFK. Seems they are cutting back on flights into SNA from SFO as well

they were nice and offered me a full refund but since I used a $350 ecert that would have been wasted, and the fares now are alot more expensive, so I took the best I was able to grab keeping the same routing (need those EQMs) and was declined changing the routing w/o having to pay the fare difference. But the agent felt my frustration and sent me another $350 ecert for the hassles and that did make up for everything, now for some cheap NY-Hawaii fares please for 12/11

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    probably just the beginning of many a cut to follow as UA/CO decides where they will be flying between, but I thought Cabo had a heavy LA following

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    don't even get me started on their Hawaii fares right now...looking to make my first SMF-OGG with Alaska this fall :)

8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't do SJD-IAH-SMF on the return? No forced overnights anywhere at least.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  9. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is CO metal taking over the SJD flying or is UA exiting the LAX/SFO/DEN-SJD markets entirely?

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA is exiting the markets it seems :(

11. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    didn't ask :( At least what I got is better than what I would have had with United. I get home on the same flight/same time but leave Cabo later.

12. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully it's just a seasonal cut. Sep/Oct are generally the slowest travel months of the year. Other markets (notably LAX-PHL) are going on a brief hiatus between the summer and late fall/holiday season as well.

On the CO side, they recently loaded a Fall schedule with some surgical trimming of EWR/IAH-CUN/PVR frequencies.

13. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better to go in August anyway, less risk of hurricanes as compared to September. :)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    With such an extensive presence in Latin America, I'm really not surprised that UA is leaving these routes to CO. But I agree, it stinks that you weren't notified. I've had issues like that with some of my CO codeshares (booked on UA) with no notice and impossible rebooked itineraries. Nothing like that from UA though. Hopefully these issues will be ironed out by the end of the year.

And I agree, OGG flights are insane. Just earlier this year they were in the 300-400 range. Now I can't find anything less than 600.

15. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    They did this to me a couple of years ago, we had two saver C tix IAD->GIG and on online checkin the day before they had become IAD->GRU. I called them up and they offered an overnight in Sao Paolo with a flight to Rio the next day, or a flight straight to Rio the next day. We opted for the latter and ended up missing a day of the vacation. But I did find it odd that all they did not send a schedule change, which they usually do when just the times changes, let alone the destination!

16. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's like deja vu all over again. I could have sworn I read this exact same post somewhere else today.

17. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    They probably haven't gotten around to it yet. I have some flights way in the future that have been messed up with flights dropped. I'll call them when it gets closer.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always found this imbalance of power very frustrating. There are lots of threads over on that other board where discontinued routes (often discontinued by partners) threatened to ruin important trips (honeymoon) that were carefully planned over months. In fact, I first came to FT when LH cancelled a flight (non-award) that was part of a UA itinerary and they automagically rebooked me into a misconnect (but didn't bother to notify me). Of course, no help from UA/LH (just finger pointing) and I ended up taking the train at my own cost for that segment. Now imagine I had decided I didn't want to take that segment - fees, refares or outright ticket cancellations would have been the result.

I personally think airlines should be required to do whatever is possible to "fix" the situation, even if it costs them money. It's only fair. Of course, I realize that it might be difficult to determine what "fix" means... might be up to a small claims court judge to eventually decide in extreme cases. But a "here, we refunded your miles/money, good luck getting to your important event" just isn't enough, IMO.

hulagrrl210, JLSocks and sunseeker like this.
  19. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In theory i agree. In practice, though, I think it'd be very difficult to get an airline to agree to best efforts. Maybe limit the liability to the carrier to a window of a month (ie. if the flight is cancelled a month out it's business as usual, but within a month it's the carrier's responsability to accomodate the passenger within x hours of arrival if there's availability in the same cabin)

just thinkin out loud...

hulagrrl210 likes this.