Cabin Upgrades Of B777-200ER

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by SQ LPP, Dec 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    SIA Unveils $95 Million Upgrade Of B777-200ER Cabins

21 December 2012 - Singapore Airlines will be investing nearly SGD$95 million to refit ten Boeing 777-200ER aircraft with new long-haul cabin products to provide customers with additional space and comfort.
    The cabin upgrade programme will provide greater product consistency across the Airline’s long-haul fleet, with Business Class seats that convert into full-flat beds and larger in-flight entertainment screen sizes for both Business Class and Economy Class.

The first refitted B777-200ER will operate between Singapore and Amsterdam from 13 January 2013. Upgraded B777-200ERs will be deployed to more destinations in Europe and to points in India, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand as additional aircraft are refitted.

In Business Class, the richly upholstered leather seat reclines up to 125 degrees and unfolds into a 76-inch full-flat bed. Also featured on the Airline’s Airbus A340-500, A380 and B777-300ER fleets, the forward-facing, four-abreast 1-2-1 configuration offers all customers direct access to the aisle. The award-winning KrisWorld in-flight entertainment system also features a 15.4-inch LCD monitor and an extensive selection of audio and video programmes.

In Economy Class, personal LCD monitors will be upgraded to 9 inches from 6.5 inches. Seat covers, designed by Givenchy, will also feature soothing colours as well as richer and softer fabrics, similar to those found on Singapore Airlines’ A380s and B777-300ERs.

HiIslands and garyst16 like this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    About time.

3. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As seen at CES 2013:

IMG_5666.jpg IMG_5669.jpg

SQ LPP and kiwi like this.
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is A380 F suite. I doubt very much they will be retrofitted into the 2-class 772s.

SQ LPP and foxberg like this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mistake. I didn't remember which plane was this supposed to be in.

SQ LPP likes this.
  6. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone fly in the revised J cabin on these birds yet?

7. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should be tonight. It will be my first experience with Singapore Airlines business class. Hopefully the sin-ams routing is still getting these!

8. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Summary: seat alone makes it worth it!

Seat: extremely wide. Firm rectangular pillow (think leather couch cushion) provided as an armrest to prevent getting lost in the width.

In takeoff position, seems to have less legroom than other seats, but still plenty.

In recliner mode, you put your legs up on the shelf from shell of the seat in front. That means you need to angle just a little bit which might get uncomfortable after a long time, but it was fine for me.

Sleeping mode: to sleep, you bring the chair back to takeoff position, then stand up. There is a handle on the back of the seat that you pull to bring the backrest forward 90 degrees. This makes a bed and exposes a second seatbelt also. It is lie flat. To have the full legroom, you sleep at an angle. I was in a middle seat so my head went towards the aisle and my feet towards the middle (again, under the seat in front). I had no problem getting a good sleep, but I suspect this might disturb some. Best I recall, all heads will angle towards the aisle, regardless of which seat you are in. There was a movable divider between the 2 middle seats for additional privacy.

image-1995201504.jpg

AVOD: a little bit of a disappointment
    Huge screen. Disabled until above 10000 feet on my flight. That was a disappointment as you could not use the flight map even. Once turned on, I found the resolution of the flight map to be poor. I don't think it was built for that size screen.

The system also had some problems that the crew was unable to resolve. Hopefully that is not normal. Specifically, the movies/TV shows behaved like DVDs at my house (which means they are scratched due to small kids). It would skip/pause while it tried to keep going. Sound would also cut out frequently. I noticed that someone else's screen experienced those breaks at the same time mine did, even though we were watching different shows.

Other features of the seat. Vanity mirror, drink tray, cell phone storage, and universal plug for charging were all available surrounding the video screen. A coat hook is right next to these features. Next to that was a large shelf (above where your feet go) for books, etc. Next to me was a place for the airline material (menu, safety card, magazines), another drink holder and my personal storage compartment (where the person behind me would put his feet under). In addition to the overhead light, there was a nice reading/mood light on either side of the backrest. Press once and it was a reading light. A second press gave more ambient light. It is not movable/adjustable.

Service: I may have had too high expectations. It sees like most other business class flights. Very good, but not out of this world spectacular.

Verdict: I would definitely fly again, assuming similar price point. The comfort of the seat is the most important thing to me on an overnight flight after price. Everything else may vary day to day depending on the crew or technology.

Nelumbo, SK2868 and SQ LPP like this.
  9. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Damn that Suites cabin woke me up a bit, thinking it would be on the 772s?!

In Jan I was stuck in FRA due to ice rain, had a chat with an Airbus Senior Sales person, tried to get some details about the new cabins on SQ. Unfortunately he didn't give me any information. lol
    I did get an invite to tour the Toulouse factory though