By order of the drSL, United beckons us to "Fly the friendly skies" again

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HeathrowGuy, Sep 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Windwalker
    Original Member

Windwalker Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did anyone look at the uniforms the FAs were wearing in that picture?. Those bring back fond memories of shows like Shindig and Hullabaloo. :p. What really caught my attention were the hats.

It was a completely different era back then. The "stews" as they were called back then, were young, classy, well educated and in a job that was pretty deluxe in terms of service and patrons. (I know that members of NOW would strongly disagree with me on this and call them exploited :rolleyes:).

All in all, you can repeat the phrase "fly the friendly skies" but it won't bring back the real era which caused it's creation.:(

KenInEscazu likes this.
  4. Windwalker
    Original Member

Windwalker Gold Member

Status Points:
    WTH ???
    Sorry HG
    coffee not kicking in to well this morning, meant to be in PB

5. xFF

xFF Gold Member

Status Points:
    When they bring back the famous tag-line "United Rising," then we'll know it's time to ask for a status match on WN.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the ads, and Matt Damon does a great job with the voice

I do wish he actually said the words "Fly the friendly skies"

But the real question will be - are the employees delivering the friendly experience - on the ground and in the air. Without the service delivery, the ads don't do it.

The press release mentions improvements in the United Clubs. How they can say that with a straight face boggles the mind!

hulagrrl210 and mht_flyer like this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ding, ding.....winner!

8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still a fan of these 2008 ads: they didn't use the Fly the Friendly Skies slogan, but I thought they were less sterile:

PanAm, meFIRST and unavaca like this.
  9. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:

The UCs have become increasingly sucky. To the point they are not worth my re-upping my ancient and long-running club membership.

However, as for Matt Damon, I wish he would say something different, and so funny that it would cause readers of this forum - and FT - to choke with laughter. You know what that would be. I think his espanol is up to the task.

10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you remember those, you'll also likely recall today was the Battle of the Sexes 40 years ago. I watched that from my university dorm. Back then hot pants was an acceptable uniform on some west coast carriers (thinking PSA).

11. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing he's with the can't get over it, tulip crowd.......

"Tim Winship, publisher of FrequentFlier.com, a Web site on travel loyalty programs, was dismissive of the campaign, calling “friendly skies” “so last century. In 2013, the skies are anything but friendly, and to suggest otherwise is to insult the intelligence of consumers and invite their scorn."

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What else is United going to promote? The "look at this shiny new 787" was a stupid campaign, and it ended up completely backfiring on them.

"Our route network" only goes so far (so to speak).

Nowadays, it IS a big gamble to say "the friendly skies," as the interpretation of being friendly (in other words, giving the customer everything they want) is subjective, plus all it takes is one front-line employee having a rotten day (which we all have) to ruin a multi-million dollar campaign.

But what else are they going to do? United needs to do something, and this is better than nothing.

13. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw one of the new Friendly Skies commercials on TV. Comes across as quite majestic, even breathtaking (compared to watching it on a computer). Praises be to the drSL for the captivating advertisements.

meFIRST likes this.
  14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can fool some of the people some of the time..................................

goalie likes this.
  15. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw the "symphony playing in the plane" ad yesterday during the football game and is it me, or does the end of the add look like a car windshield with a growing spiderweb crack?

16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Better than a plumber's crack.

goalie likes this.
  17. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not by much ;)

18. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm gonna defer my impression, but my two flights this past weekend would say its more 'business as usual' and not 'Fly the Friendly skies' (esp the 3 oblivious FAs who kept on waking me on my PS flight last night! :mad: )

flyforawg likes this.
  19. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why were they waking you up?

20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unintentionally, or more aptly, in total oblivion of their surroundings.

Two kept letting a stowaway cabin door (right behind last BF seat) hit my leg every time they went to get their bag :mad: (what they needed halfway through the flight is beyond me it also involved removing half the stowage area to get their bag....bang, bang, bang!), another one had no awareness of her body size :eek: and kept on hip-checking me as she walked by! Fun times for a full work day to follow!

21. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh. You were in Y. That first row is horrible. Also, eye mask.

22. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:

I liked that series a lot, as well. This was another from the same timeframe I think:

This 1990s ad is another favorite, especially with the nice shots of the Queen of the Skies:

As much as I liked the "friendly skies", I'm not really digging the new "friendly" iteration. The experience just doesn't warrant it. They would've been better off with a more abstract theme such as the ~2008 series or something like that.

I do miss the United print, Hemispheres & airport banner graphics from a few years back...can't find a good example offhand but with the more abstract, soft, sort of look to them - similar to the above TV ads. Nice pastel themes that reminded me of watercolor paintings. Really hated to lose that to the sterile CO themes of stock photos and layouts from a 12th grade class project circa 1999.

genemk2 likes this.