BWI: Airspace Lounge - Amex Platinum/Centurion Access

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by NYBanker, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex Platinum and Centurion cardmembers now get free access to the Airspace Lounge at BWI. This lounge is airside (inside of security), in Concourse D, which serves US, CO, UA, Cape Air and Airtran.

Use your Amex card for access (not the Priority Pass + card). Gets you in, plus (a) your family or (b) two guests. Free internet; pay for booze. They say they will open 45 minutes prior to the first departure of the day.

From their website (coloring is mine), the lounge includes:

Food and Beverage Offering

• A hearty complimentary food offering; typically a sandwich during the afternoon and evening and a selection of breakfast items in the morning
    • Complimentary snacks are offered throughout the day
    • Complimentary coffee and Tea
    • Complimentary soft drinks
    • Access to a full bar where spirits, beer and wines are available for a fee

Technology

• Complimentary wireless internet
    • Complimentary access to our on-site PCs and Macs
    • An electric outlet at every seat, including the bar
    • Color printing on-site for a nominal fee

Facilities
    Other than our beautifully designed space, you can also take advantage of our:

• In-lounge restrooms
    • Comfortable seating
    • Full bar seating
    • A workspace area dedicated to those that need to catch up on business

http://airspacelounge.com/index.php

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like a nice lounge, but I would wonder how they can afford to keep it open... last few times I've been in BWI took a peek inside and maybe 2 or 3 patrons in there.

NYBanker and DeltaExpert like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A well-advised airport is going to demand an at least semi-creditworthy counterparty for their lease. As such, my suspicion is that they'll have 2 or 3 years of operating capital in the bank or committed (assuming little to no revenue along the way).

This Amex link up certainly will help. It's always easier to get customers when a third-party is footing the bill.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is this lounge?

5. AmEx advertising is quite simply false and misleading. Access is not provided for AmEx consumer Platinum card holders, only for certain AmEx Platinum card holders.

6. AirSpace lounge access is a false and misleading representation for AmEx Platinum card holders. Ads represent that consumer and business AmEx Platinum card holders are admitted free. This is a lie, only "certain" AmEx Platinum cards qualify. Their FAQ itself is quite simply false and misleading. In their own words http://www.airspacelounge.com/faq.php "I have an American Express® Platinum Card; can I enter the lounge free of charge? a. Yes, American Express® Platinum and Centurion members are permitted in the lounge free of charge." This is a lie

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalevala - I'm sure you feel put out and were apparently turned away, but could you share what card you were turned away with? This would go a long way toward clearing the air and figuring out what happened.

montacute likes this.
  8. montacute
    Original Member

montacute Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Kalevala, please do report back what happened to you. BWI is one of my home airports and I was actually considering applying for the Plat. Amex because of this offer. If it is untrue, you could save me a wasted application. I'd appreciate it.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  9. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've not been, but it's pretty clear that they take the AmEx Platinum charge card that comes with the lounge access plan for AA, DL, and US (when flying that carrier for AA and DL, any carrier for US). I'm guessing Kalevala has something like the DL platinum AmEx credit card. It's not "Any card issued by AmEx that says 'Platinum' on it", but rather the one specific card type.

mattsteg and DeltaExpert like this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what I expect is the case here as well. Confusion on that point seems to come up periodically.