BW Rewards opinions?

Discussion in 'Best Western | Rewards' started by Exiled in Express, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the past few months my default hotel option, Priority Club, has been disappointing me and losing the value proposition. In several searches BW properties have stuck out as viable alternatives. Does anyone use BW as their primary program? Any features or pitfalls that are not immediately apparent?

I am aware that property quality can vary even more so than PC. The booking via gift card angle looks quite appealing though I haven't fully figured out how to best make use of it on the prepay rates I would likely be doing. My travel is domestic + Canada and is nearly always 1 or 2 night stays.

So any opinions if I should take the plunge or just keep BW in my mind as a loyal backup?

2. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before you take the plunge, be sure to use your PC Platinum status to match to BW Diamond Elite.

Decide whether you want to build up a point arsenal, or just be credited with airline miles. You can flip-flop with your preference, if need be.

Consider having the branded MasterCard to pay for your stays.

As with other chains, pay attention to BW promos for extra points or free nights.

BW Travel cards can be used to pay for all or part of a stay, but cannot be used to guarantee a reservation.

As for BW being my primary program, I don't put all my eggs in one basket.

3. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, doing the match tomorrow at work when I have scanner access. No way I will be able to maintain diamond but it will nice while I have it.

There seems to be several thousand dollars of discounted giftcards available on Plasticjungle, seems like a nice way to drop a few more dollars off the nightly rate. Points vs miles is something I will have to ponder for a while, miles seem the logical choice for multiple <$100 stays.

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    BW will soft land you to Plat, if you don't requalify as a Diamond.

You may want to hold off buying gift cards at PJ. Sometimes, BW has promos for buying gift cards direct. Another thing to ponder: next month Discover America will be running some promotions. Last year, $100 BW Travel Cards were offered for $70. Don't know if that promo will be repeated, though.

more on Discover America: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/discover-america-daily-getaways-4-11-5-13-11.6410/

5. I'm new to this site but have switched from Prioriy Club to Best Western because of better prices and excellent accommodations. I still use Priority Club when a Best Western isn't available and am basically satisfied. But Best Western offers fantastic reductions if one chooses multiple day options such as a 2-day or more stay. As a Senior citizen they also offer terrific AARP/Senior citizen rates if the multiple day option is not available. We have not explored all the possibilities with Best Western such as the Travel Cards you mention above. Will investigate that!

6. Trout Fishing in America
    Original Member

Trout Fishing in America Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also do PC as my primary with a BW backup. I typically only stay at BW when a PC is not available, but have had pretty positive experiences. I do not get enough BW points to really pay attention to them-- I've just used them for the very occasional free room. I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with BW being your primary choice, but I still think PC is the best loyalty program available for people of a certain persuasion (who would prefer a few additional free nights over an upgraded, club-level room). As already mentioned, be sure to have BW match your PC status.

7. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the general consensus to take miles over points?

8. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have experienced the Soft Landing to Plat with BW after Status Matching to Diamond as well. I did not have any stays for my Platinum year (Last year) and was further soft landed to Gold for this year...

My experience with BW was decent with a lack of higher end hotels and inconsistency of Elite Benefits across hotels.

sdcarver

9. Trout Fishing in America
    Original Member

Trout Fishing in America Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is my understanding-- and I invite someone more knowledgeable than I will correct me if I'm wrong-- that, if you choose to be rewarded in miles, you are rewarded in 250 miles per stay.

Alternatively, the base earn rate for BW is 10 points per dollar. BW points are worth somewhere in the ballpark of .5 cents if redeemed for a free night. So, you are essentially getting 5% back.

Airline mile valuation is a personal thing depending on a lot of factors. For me, I suspect that I value miles lower than most on this forum-- between 1 and 2 cents. So, let's assume a hypothetical stay of 2 nights for $75 a night-- I can earn 250 miles (valued at between $2.50 and $5.00) or 1500 BW points (valued at ~$7.50). If I were to stay only 1 night, I can earn that same 250 miles (still valued between $2.50 and $5.00) or 750 BW points (valued at ~$3.75).

Ultimately, my point is that, no, I don't think it is the general consensus, necessarily, to take miles. Like so many things discussed on here, it is highly variable depending on your own person travel patterns. And, even at that, sometimes going against the grain may be better for you in a given situation.

If I were highly motivated, I would probably switch rewards before stays depending on what would be most valuable for that particular stay. I do not do that, however, and just stick with earning points. That's what has worked for me. But, as you can gleen from the rest of this post, BW is not really a super valuable program and, therefore, the decision of points or miles is a pretty minor one.

I just realized how much I typed for this post. I apologize for that, everybody.

10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take points, as I have so many other ways of getting miles. Also, it was great to have enough points to transfer for both myself and my husband during US Airways' Grand Slam promotion. I am trying to build up my points again in case they have the promo again.