Buying up to US Air Chairman's Preferred

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Steven Schwartz, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm posting this here because it is not really a US Air issue but rather an issue that considers the merger and I need info from both US Air and AA Elites. Here goes.

Just got my Platinum US Air Elite card. I get the card courtesy of AMEX Centurion. I rarely fly US Air but have made good use of the Star Alliance Gold benefits that come with it. Along with the card came an offer to buy up to Chairman's Preferred for $899. Ordinarily, I would not consider it but the upcoming merger seems to change the calculation.

If I wait until the merger is definite and buy up as late as I can, I would think my new AA top tier would also get me the systen-wide upgrades that everyone raves about - the ability to book low fare trips and upgrade. That could definitely be worth the $899 I would think!

Curious to hear feedback from others about this strategy and whether or not you feel it makes sense. Many thanks!

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is the programs won't begin merging until late this year or next year. If you were to pay up now, your Chairman's status would only run through early 2014, like any status earned for the 2013 program year. The program merger would most likely apply to status earned for the 2014 program year, expiring in 2015. You should wait.

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree - I would want to wait as long as possible before the merger. But let's say for arguments sake that I did it in December and that everything was moving ahead for a full merger in the first quarter 2014 (a lot of assumptions, I know!). I'm really curious if those in the know think the strategy itself has merit.

4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be really surprised if the merger took place in September as they are stating, unless there's been a lot of behind the scenes work going on since AA declared bankruptcy. It took 2 years for the UA/CO merger to happen.

5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    i would try to maximize the time you buy up status for. E.g. if you buy up in dec and i'ts good till feb that isn't that great. i'm not too familiar with the centurion buy up.

You do currently get 4 systemwide (yourself + a companion) upgrade certs and the A330s are quite nice.

you also get mileage redeposit and close in booking fees waived, making mileage awards that much more easier to maximize

ballardFlyer likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are different dates here. The merger taking place just means the government regulators and bankruptcy court and whoever else has a say approved and the two airlines are owned by the same holding company, but they will continue to operate as separate airlines. That's the date they expect to be in the 3rd quarter of 2013.

United/CO announced their intention to merge on May 3, 2010. The merger closed on Oct 1, 2010 (equivalent of the Q3 date for AA/US). Timeline

In March 2011 did the new United announce that miles will be transferrable between Mileage Plus and OnePass accounts. That started in May 2011. I believe at that time they also used the linking of the accounts to calculate a combined status based on EQM earnings in both programs. OnePass didn't go away until Dec 31, 2011 when everything was moved over into the new MileagePlus program.

JetsettingEric and IDGflygirl like this.