Buying United miles for 40% off?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by disambiguous1, Mar 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have gotten emails from United offering 40% off on purchasing miles toward a particular destination. As a new UMP member and even newer Chase United Visa owner, I can't figure out how to determine the economic advantages of this for me. As far as I can figure, United may end up being able to fill more seats on a particular route (or maybe be able to shift passengers around, since the "destinations" listed do not specify a particular airport), and they also get the advantage of my giving them money now while my trip will be in the future. They would also know where I would want to go, and can arrange their future resources more accurately.

The problem for me is that it would lock me into a particular destination. Also I have no idea how economic it would be to purchase miles, as opposed to accumulating them from my regular spend, or just paying for the trip with dollars. And how would I know that the number of miles required for whatever trip I choose won't be changed in the future?

One of the destinations is Paris, and I would like to get to Europe again and just wander around for a while. But the whole program is pretty vague, and one has to commit and go all the way through the process before many of the details are exposed (which I haven't done yet). Has anybody on this forum participated in this program? What are the restrictions and the pluses/minuses? Is it a good deal? Any additional explanations would be appreciated. Many thanks, -DA1

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the link to this program?

3. disambiguous1

Status Points:
  4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The destination thing is just a gimmick. There aren't any restrictions on how you use your miles, so it's just buying miles at a discount. There's nothing in the T&Cs that restricts the miles that you purchase through this promotion.

MX and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. disambiguous1

Status Points:
    genemk2-- Thanks

6. wlassalle

wlassalle Member

Status Points:
    man i wish i got this email!