Buying Tickets for a Route in Bulk... for future!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by SgtPeppers, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello folks... Would appreciate some advice on this:

I am flying every other weekend from ORD to IAH. I am wondering if there is some way that I can buy the tickets in bulk and probably save some money with it.

Do you have any suggestions on whether that is possible or someone has already done this?

Thanks,

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would doubt if any airline would cut you a deal for a relatively small number of flights. Recognize that for one person roughly 26 flights a year between 2 points is a lot but it is very small compared to the number of trips that even a small corporation can spend traveling between two facilities.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some foreign carriers offer the option to prepay for a certain number of miles or (short) segments, but I don't think any USA carrier has such a program. Your best choice is probably to watch prices and try to buy tickets whe the flights that work for you are relatively cheap and take advantage of FF programs.

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    My friends and I have thought about such things and I have to agree with deant and MSPeconomist. What is a lot of flights to us individuals is not a lot to an airline. However, no harm ever in asking. Good luck.

5. prometheusg
    Original Member

prometheusg Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might want to look at AAirpass. I don't know if it's right for you or not, but some people really love it.

6. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks prometheusg... can you tell me more about AAirpass?

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a number of benefits- however if price is the main determining criteria, probably buying advance purchase tickets is less costly if you know in advance exactly when you will travel and don't change your plans. Details on the program are:
    http://www.aairpass.com/

8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your goal is to get the cheapest price available and you're willing to lock in your travel dates, then your best bet is to wait for a good fare (there are a number of tools for comparing current cheapest fares to historic fares) and then buying the dates you need out to the end of schedule or expiration of that fare. That won't give you a discount over published fares, but it will give you a discount compared to what you would pay if you booked each trip individually closer to departure.

If you are looking to maximize flexibility (maybe you know you want to fly 26 weekend a year, but won't know until Thursday or Friday of each week whether you're going) then you have some other options. Both UA and AA offer pre-paid products that then book into fully flexible/refundable fares.

9. flydiveplay
    Original Member

flydiveplay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you know what the UA pre pay program is called and where do I find it?

10. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Pass programs only really make sense for last-minute travel. At my previous office, we had passes, but rarely used them (only when fares were full Y, J, or F)- as otherwise it was much less expensive just to purchase a ticket through our T.A./direct from the airline.