Buying Star Alliance tickets from the UA website

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by meFIRST, May 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed, the UA website will sell A3, TK, MS and few other tickets on the UA website. No UA segments, No UA flights, not originating or terminating in the US.

Is there a downside to buying these sort of tickets from the UA website ? [ Rather than other sources that I'm not seeing?]

Presumably
    - These will be coded to UA ticket stock 016. I can sort of see, this could be problematic if I need to rebook. UA would need to reissue
    - Speaking of rebooking, I would contact UA since UA owns the ticket?
    - PQD doesn't matter . None of these are UA flights

The major bonus I see if that these get priced in US Dollars, rather than departure city / country currency. That can be beneficial ( it is in my case)

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    In this scenario you're using UA as a travel agency / ticketing agent only — they are usually pricing out another carrier's fare and selling it to you.

I like this for Turkish Airlines flights: TK and most travel agencies charge a ticketing fee, but UA charges no ticketing fee and just sells you the fare.

Downside: buying partner flights can take 24 hr + for the carrier to confirm the space and for UA to issue the ticket.

Yes, if you need to make changes, you contact UA; they're your travel agent.

3. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes and also TK and some others charge a processing fee too to use credit cards on their site and add it to the cost of the ticket. Hell, I might even earn UA.com club money. ( or not?). Another big plus mentioned previously : Billed in US dollars ( at a very good rate)

Contacting UA is no problem. me = 1K. They pick up the phone in less than 5 minutes unless there is a major weather event. Even then its no more than 10.

The 24 hour thing is fine. Most pre merger tulip people find that annoying but after UA left JFK for the most part ( I am partly NYC based) I switched to CO ex EWR and became familiar with that world and know how to spot / avoid problems. Its annoying, yes, but I had many years to get over that.

4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you make a Star partner ticket purchase from united.com or via phone reservations, it will be coded on UA ticket stock 016 and should count towards earning PQDs.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME, I have changed my mind when booking award tickets, accepted the purchase offer and received the PQDs. The tickets were issued, as referenced above, on 016 ticket stock, so UA gets something for booking it.

I would advise caution, however, with regard to class of service if that is something important to you. In my case, I thought I was buying a Business class ticket, but it turned out to be an Economy ticket due to UA's errant interpretation of the OAL's codes. This is probably not a frequent mistake, but it can happen.

6. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    You also want to check to see if they are offering only more expensive tickets. The prices for the same flights can vary quite a bit depending on which airline you buy from, though this seems to crop up more with codeshares.