buying prepaid visa card with DL Amex

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Gargoyle, Oct 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I need to manufacture some spend on my DL Amex, and I have some very large purchases coming up from vendors who take VISA/MC/Discover but not Amex. I've been trying to read the threads here and the hundreds of threads each with hundreds of posts on TOBB, but that just spins my eyeballs and confuses me more.

So, if a local store will let me use my DL Amex to purchase their generic prepaid visa cards:
    1. will Amex give me credit (towards the annual MQM bonus)?
    2. will any place that accepts Visa debit cards accept these cards?
    3. any gotchas I have to watch out for?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do know that I buy VRs with my DL plat AE and that spend does count towards my 25k spend for the bonus MQMs. Because I am not a big spender the VR has helped keep me on track for this annual spend. I cannot speak on prepaid visa cards though. Hope this helps some.

We want pics of your spinning eyeballs too.

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With VR would I then need to get checks or money orders to pay the vendors? That adds a couple extra steps.

spinning_eyeball.gif spinning_eyeball.gif

MX likes this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use BB for VRs and use BBs bill pay option. I do not have checks with them. I generally don't use BB to pay my AE card but I have without issue. I have had no issues using BB to pay any bills. So if you can pay your vendors through a billpay service it's one less step.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Found the solution. Vanilla prepaid reloadable debit card, then reload it with VR's. Got everything at CVS on my AE.