Buying group based on Montevideo lunch remotely with CC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by iolaire, Jan 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I work with a group in Montevideo, Uruguay - they are contractors who are paid by another department. I'd like to buy them lunch. I had hoped to use http://www.pedidosya.com.uy/, but just realized that it has online ordering but payment is on delivery. I don't have experience making this type of purchase remotely.

Does anyone have suggestions of services, methods or restaurants in Montevideo, Uruguay that would allow me to pay by credit card remotely?

If I were to say buy an US AMEX gift card and FedEx there would they be able to use it?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about Amex Gift Card but you could get them American Express Travelers Cheques.

iolaire likes this.
  3. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel there often.. Dollars are widely accepted, but FedEx and AMEX Fees are really high. You can work with one individual in the group and see if they would like to try ZOOM https://www.xoom.com/uruguay/fees
    Its Cheap, Fast and Secure..

iolaire likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not put either of those items in the mail/fedex/whatever.

If there is a specific restaurant calling directly and speaking with someone there can often work. I've had more success with that sort of thing at hotels than other places but I've also mostly tried at hotels. They're used to processing foreign CCs and generally speak a bit of English.

iolaire likes this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point...that's why you send them a book and stash them inside :D

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be there next week and could host them for you and send you the bill :)
    Seriously, I'll actually be staying at an airbnb so could ask the owners (who from all reviews are quite helpful)

iolaire likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good ideas so far, thanks. I like best the idea of using a wire service, or asking estnet to show up at their office in a civil war reenacter's outfit and take them out! Keep the ideas coming.

estnet likes this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    One last question – is this the type of thing the Amex Platinum concierge could help with?

FYI: I've emailed two different restaurants to ask if I can pay remotely.

One, Las Carretas Restaurant, is in the Sheraton (strong global brand). The other, Restaurant Francis, was highly rated on trip advisor. Hopefully I'll get a response. I can always call in the credit card once I find someone willing to work from me.

I'm hesitant to involve money transfers when I'm planning on expensing the meal, it’s a lot clearer to pay directly myself.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely something that AmEx can help with, though no guarantees. At worst you can have them making the long distance phone calls and essentially vouching for you and the CC being provided which should help.

iolaire likes this.
  10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ummmm.... could I rent one? ;)

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd start with AmEx Plat or Centurion card. Are there any fine dining program restaurants nearby that would be appropriate as this might be easier for AmEx since there's already a strong relationship.

For the Sheraton possibility, have you tried calling SPG, especially Plat Concierge or an Ambassador if you have status?

12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks I put in a call to AmEx Plat and they should have three options by end of day today.

I have no status with SPG but I though the same as a fall back - the various bloggers seem to have luck contacting the management via email for upgrade requests. None of the restaurants responded via email - no big surprise there.

13. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    American Express Platinum Concierge came back with two options yesterday (within 24 hours). One would do payment via Western Union, the other El Palenque in the Don Boutique Hotel was willing to do it via an email form. I believe the hotel will bill me; it was a hotel credit authorization form. I had considered El Palenque initially, but skipped it since their menu from 2011 would not load.

The team had lunch at El Palenque and everything went well! I'm no just waiting for the bill to post and to receive the itemized bill.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.

Wandering Aramean likes this.