Buying frequent flyer miles online

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Winchelsea, Apr 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Winchelsea

Winchelsea New Member

Status Points:
    I found an article online called "Travel hacker's secret tips revealed" and was wondering whether it's a load of rubbish or not - especially the part about buying frequent flyer miles on Ebay and flying business class for only $1200 - I looked and couldn't find anything.

marcwint55, NathalieAU and MelisAndo like this.
  2. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never heard of it but sounds like rubbish. Most business class tickets take about two credit card apps. That's a lot cheaper than $1200.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure it's rubbish -- you could probably find someone online to sell you the necessary miles for $1,200 -- but I wouldn't do it. You risk your ticket being cancelled if the airline finds out, or the guy could keep your money and cancel the ticket on his own. It would be easier to apply for a few credit cards to get the bonus, but that only works until you run out of cards. I know some of these guys, and they buy and sell accounts as a business.

4. BradleyBob

BradleyBob New Member

Status Points:
    I read the same article on News.com and it led me to this forum. Sounds a bit strange but it has a photo of Chris Guillebeau who it states did this. Is he a member??

5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if he is but he will be speaking at FTU DC.

6. filter13

filter13 New Member

Status Points:
    Yes I read that too Winchelsea.

Is the easiest way likely to be applying for credit cards with good sign up bonus points as mentioned earlier?

Cheers

GoodBoy likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends. For occasional travelers, CC sign up bonuses may be the way to go. For frequent-flyers, the trips pay for premium cabins, especially if one achieves top elite status as a result of all the flying. On the other hand, an initial "investment" may be required for those who travel frequently on their own dime. One must first fly enough to accumulate the miles and/or achieve elite status before seeing any benefits...so YMMV.

Scottrick and GoodBoy like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the article really talks about buying the miles and not award tickets, note that the transfer fees for miles can be more than the miles are worth, even if the airline doesn't catch the sale and cancel FF accounts.

Aktchi, LETTERBOY and GoodBoy like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't read the article, but I assume no transfer of miles to another account is involved. People just sell award tickets out of their account or the entire account (credentials) wholesale. Otherwise, yes, the transfer fees charged by the airlines make it an expensive proposition.

Aktchi, Scottrick and GoodBoy like this.
  10. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope no one is buying Delta miles at these 'inflated' prices

LETTERBOY and GoodBoy like this.
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. I know people who buy and sell the accounts, not necessarily miles or points. It's not too dissimilar from my days playing EverQuest, when people would build up avatars and then sell the player account to someone who didn't want to put in the effort.

Jazzsadana likes this.
  12. richardfredy

richardfredy Member

Status Points:
    it is safe to use a local travel guide for booking my tickets

13. johnraj544

johnraj544 New Member

Status Points:
    Buying frequent flyer miles online is nice choice, but need to buy credits in the proper sites, so that you can avoid banded by the air miles. Usually, buying fake flyer credit will completely reject you from flier miles program. Therefore, make sure with that. I regularly use to buy some credits from sellmyrewards.com to reduce my air ticket cost.

14. banane

banane Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I understand everything you said. What does it mean "banded by the air miles" and also what is "buying fake flyer credit"?

15. DouglasWise

DouglasWise Member

Status Points:
    Yes its safe and secure. Even you can directly buy air miles from themileageclub.com