Buying EQMs on a revenue booking

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, Aug 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know we are offered the opportunity to purchase redeemable miles after completing a revenue booking on UA and CO. In fact, we're also offered this opportunity on all UA/CO metal awards. But I've also read that CO offers EQMs too. However, I've never been offered this option when making bookings. Can someone from the CO side clarify this offering, if indeed it still exists? If so, what is the cost per EQM?

Freddie Listo likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is still on offer. When you choose the option to buy more miles you get a dialog that looks a bit like this:

[​IMG]

Check that lower box to get the EQMs, too.

Last I looked it was about 3cpm for the RDMs and an additional 4ish for the EQMs. Also, CO offers it on award or revenue tickets and regardless of the operating carrier of the segments. If the reservation can be displayed in your profile the option to buy miles should be there.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    can confirm it exists. Just did it the other day for an upcoming flight.

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I have seen the RMs offered but never the EQMs. However, in checking one of my bookings, when I actually selected one of the redeemable miles options, the EQM offer appeared below it. So one must actually make the request of RMs to get EQMs.

On one booking I checked, I was offered:

Purchase miles to get your next reward faster.
    OnePass Maximizer lets you purchase miles and grow your OnePass account, allowing you to earn OnePass rewards quickly. Redeem your purchased miles for reward tickets, First Class upgrades, and more. The miles you purchase are in addition to your earned flight miles.

Traveler
    Purchase 4,400 Miles $29
    Purchase 8,800 Miles $57
    Mr. CANADI>N
    JSXXXXXX
    (Platinum)

Add Elite Maximizer for $86
    Get more miles for $143
    • All miles purchased are non-refundable.
    • These miles credit to your OnePass account within 24 hours of purchase.
    • The miles you purchase with OnePass Maximizer are redeemable miles and do not count toward Elite qualification, unless OnePass Elite Maximizer is added to your purchase.
    • Purchased miles are subject to all OnePass terms and conditions
    This is obviously a great deal, but when I actually attempt to purchase it, this is what I get:

Payment Information

Complete Payment below.
    Miles purchased are non-refundable. Miles will credit to your OnePass account within 24 hours of purchase.

Payment Information

Mr. CANADI>N (JSXXXXXX)

1,892 OnePass Reward Maximizer miles
    $57.00
    1,892 OnePass Elite Maximizer miles
    $86.00

Total Price: $143.00

Itinerary on this award ticket is YYZ-LGA(AC)-EWR-FRA(LH)-MUC(LH), no CO or UA space so not sure how the final number of SMs and EQMs were determined, and dropped from the 8,800 I was originally offered at an extraordinarily good rate.

(And for some reason, every one of my current bookings I try ends up with the same final screen as shown above...offering 1892 miles!)

But thanks, I now know how to get to the EQM offer, not that I need it for this year.

5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also can confirm it exists. The miles will be added to your elite (and lifetime) mile total with in a few minutes of purchase. Final total I have had (used it last week to bump me up to silver) was about 8cpm for elite maximizer.

6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do these miles count towards lifetime as well?

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Y
    Yes they do.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Precisely.

9. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting revenue source for CO; wonder if we will see it on the new United?

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Given that UA similarly sells miles and that it is effectively free money to the company I cannot imagine it disappearing.

11. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That CPM will start creeping up in the last few weeks of the year and SKYROCKET by mid-December.

(A combination of edited plans and rebooked itineraries left me about 800 miles short for 1K last year, so I did do the buy-up since there was just no way I could get on another plane during the week of Christmas.)

12. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, if the rumors are true of miles + spend coming in order to achieve Elite status, this takes on a whole new meaning.