Buying a SIM card in various countries

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gargoyle, Sep 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In Finland and Estonia it was very cheap and simple to pick up a SIM card for my unlocked phone. They sell them at newsstands, € 5.00 at HEL airport, € 2.95 in Estonia (plus that card earned money for incoming calls, so I left after two days with about € 5 on the card).

Every country has different rules, so this thread is for suggestions and info on buying cards.

To start with- I'll be in France for a few days, I'd like to get a card, but it will get very little use, so I don't want to spend over € 10 or € 15 for it. Is that possible? And is there anywhere to buy it when I first arrive at CDG, or at a major train station in town?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Personally I wouldn't get different cards for each country in Europe. Many European SIMs have free incoming calls across Europe. Paired with a callback service (eg Callbackworld, but they won't dial Estonian SIMs) you get pretty cheap outgoing calls, too. If you're in one country a good amount, sure, but for a few days I probably wouldn't bother.

hulagrrl210, sobore and Gargoyle like this.
  3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will second gleff, and if you do want to get one, get a good general european SIM. It might cost more up front, but worth it if you make multiple trips to Europe.

Paolo Scuri and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I do have a Vodafone Italian SIM, I've had that particular number and SIM card for at least 5 or 6 years; I just checked, the rates have gone down. Last time I checked (a couple years ago) it was around €1/minute inbound or outbound for use in France, but now outbound is € 0.42/minute, inbound is € 0.13/minute. That means now it makes sense to just use that one for this trip.

Looks like something is wrong with Callbackworld- "This site has been suspended." I've used Jajah for 3 or 4 years, it seems like a similar service.

Mrs. Gargoyle likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Weird, Callbackworld was fine a couple of weeks ago.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The good news is that rates continue to decline with all carriers in Europe as the European Union has pushed the industry to reduce intra-europe roaming costs (although as of now this has not extended to data so be careful as you can eat up money very quickly even with just email).

FYI- I am not familiar of any sim or plan that allows free incoming calls in multiple countries without at least purchasing a special option which is typically quite expensive and also limited.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that doesn't look like a professionally managed site.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not wanting to hijack Gargoyle's thread but does anyone have a recommendation for SIM providers in Denmark? Something that roams around surrounding countries would be ideal. And of course cheaper the better.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been quite happy with Telenor- although I don't really know what the roaming rates/conditions are for other Nordic countries.

10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not hijacking the thread at all- your post is exactly within the intended direction of the thread; while it started with my specific question, I would like this thread used for any international SIM card discussion. For that matter, although the thread title is Europe, what do people use for trips to Asia or OZ or Africa?

Mrs. Gargoyle, TRAVELSIG and Tenmoc like this.
  11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    In OZ it is Yes Optus all the time. You can buy the card in the news stand in the airport. $30 AUD. Choose the bonus plan and it comes with $120-$150 worth of credit. I do not have data services though, so it may not be ideal for that.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Thailand I use a TRUE network simcard which has both voice and data and fairly low calling rates to Europe and very low rates to North America. Then, with the data option you can also use Skype and save quite a bit of money.

hulagrrl210, Gargoyle and Tenmoc like this.
  13. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good info. Keep it up. :)

Gargoyle and Tenmoc like this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another good option are the SIMS for sale at Beijing airport- calls are less than 1 cent per minute, and they come preloaded with some credit- can be a useful way to make calls while in China.

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Maybe I'm paranoid, but if calls are that cheap I have to wonder if they are subsidized by the gov't and set up as a "party line", where someone else can listen in on your calls.

16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have nothing to hide......if China wants to listen to me chat with my grandchildren. :)

SC Flier and Gargoyle like this.
  17. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any ideas for Moscow? Since I use VOIP calling alot, this would only be on-the-go calling so I would be looking for the very cheapest possible options. :)

18. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    For voice, I agree with you. For data, I think you're still better off getting separate SIM cards per country (with certain exceptions).

As for "listening in" - most every government has the capability to listen in to calls ("legal intercept") whether it's a government-run telecom or private. The listening gear is installed at the switch (incidentally, this is one reason why the Skype version on Verizon phones uses their switches domestically - the other, of course, is money). Intercept is harder if you're using something like Skype that encrypts across a VPN network back to the US.... it's double-encrypted coming out of the foreign country. And oh, by the way, for calls crossing the US border, you may find intercept by US authorities.

TRAVELSIG, Gargoyle and Tenmoc like this.
  19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the mobile networks in China are probably subsidized in many ways- however I don't think the main intent is to listen in on foreigners calls. The key to keeping calls very inexpensive in China is to have enough volume to pay for the infrastructure- if a mobile phone was 50 USD per month there would be a lot less customers than there are at the moment.

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, I was talking about voice and not data (though SMS can be quite reasonable as well).

21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    One area to check Gleff is that sending SMS to certain operators can be quite expensive (0.50 eur each) which can add up quite fast- best to check to ensure no hidden surprises.

22. Justin Johnson
    Original Member

Justin Johnson Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm doing a mini tour of Europe in October. Most of my time will be in Amsterdam, France and Italy.
    I will only be using the phone for in county calls, will be using Google Voice and T-Mobile WIFI Calling for home.
    What SIM should I get?

Ps. Data would be nice, to check maps on my phone but not necessary.

Tenmoc likes this.
  23. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think these are the rates that the european carriers are propagating as "standard" across europe. I haven't really seen any cards lately though which allow free incoming across europe? Can anyone verify a card that offers that?

Gargoyle and Tenmoc like this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if it's worthwhile utilizing the MP Wiki feature to create a set of pages that provide this information in a more structured way. Then again, there probably are already several other sites that specialize on that?

25. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, at least one. ;-)