Buying 7-day unlimited metrocard at LGA

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by tcook052, Jan 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm arriving around 5:30 PM on a Sunday later this month on DL into LGA and was while cabbing it to my hotel am planning on hopping on the subway that night so wanted to pick up a 7-day pass after landing at LGA to make it easier.

Are there vending machines and if so would they take cash or just credit cards? Any retailers that would be open that I could buy them from instead?

Thanks for the input. :)

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought my MetroCard from the magazine stand in the arrivals/baggage claim area (for United; not sure about Delta). It wasn't a 7-day pass, and I don't know if they would have had any. They did take my credit card. In the earlier thread about transit options from LGA to Manhattan someone mentioned ticket vending machines.

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some retailers sell the 7 day cards but not too many. I don't know of any at LGA who sell the 7 days cards but that doesn't mean they don't exist -- I've never tried to look! There are Metrocard vending machines at every subway station. Some machines accept both cash and credit cards, some only accept cards. There are also staffed booths at the stations who can sell the cards. The booths only accept cash. Note that not every entrance will have a staffed booth, especially if you travel off-hours, but there will be at least one staffed booth someplace.

viguera likes this.
  4. jadec

jadec Active Member

Status Points:
    There are vending machines that take credit cards only and sell 7-day passes. They are inside near the M60 bus stop to Manhattan. Just bought a pass two weeks ago.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This. The machines are on the baggage claim level of the Central Terminal, towards the center of the terminal.

But the OP is flying in on DL so arriving into either Terminal C or D. I have never seen the vending machines there, though I also haven't looked. The same vending machines are available at so many regular subway entrances that I'd just buy it when I get in to town rather than switch terminals to buy it at LGA.

viguera likes this.
  6. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True but thought if I could snag one before leaving LGA it'd be slightly more convenient than buying one at a local subway stop.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I make it a point to get to the cab line ASAP when I'm trying to get a taxi out of LGA. Beating the other 50-100 people on my plane to that line often seems a better use of time than not. ;)

viguera likes this.