Buying 500 mile upgrade stickers on a MR

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Efilon87, Nov 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good morning and happy Monday!! Was wondering what your thoughts are regarding buying 500 mile upgrade stickers for an upcoming MR. I'm PLAT on AA; doing my 3rd run LAX-BDL-LAX in two weeks. Expertflyer shows 7 still left in F for both legs. Thanks for the input.

tondoleo, MX and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would buy them at the airport only if you get the upgrade

tondoleo, MX and Efilon87 like this.
  3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yah, I think that was going to be my initial plan. Request the upgrade and if I get it, buy the stickers. Thanks!!

maradori, marcwint55 and tondoleo like this.
  4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind it's cheaper to buy the stickers over the phone, or online prior to travel.

Be aware that it can take 48-72 hours for those stickers to appear in your account after your online or phone purchase. There is no definitive time frame as to when they will post, but a minimum of 24 hours, up to 72 hours.

Keep that in consideration, in order to upgrade, you must have to have enough stickers in your account at the check-in counter to get on the upgrade standby list at the gate if you haven't cleared, and it's more expensive to purchase the stickers at the check-in counter from the gate agent then purchasing them prior to getting to the airport.

Efilon87 likes this.
  5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    marcwint55 likes this.
  6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully you get lucky. On my last 3 BDL runs I didn't get upgraded on the return and I'm EXP. Last Sunday's upgrade list was 17 deep, and the first 7 of us were EXPs.

marcwint55 likes this.