BuyAAMiles Promo 4/1-4/5: 15% Discount AND 30% Bonus Miles (20K Minimum)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Apr 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Saw this on FT, figured some folks here might like to see since many of you buy miles: LINK.

Purchase the miles that you may need to reach your flight award. Earn 30% bonus miles when you purchase 20,000 miles or more beginning April 1, 2012, through May 31, 2012. Plus, between now and 12:00pm (noon CDT) April 5, 2012 save 15% on purchases of 20,000 miles or more.

A minimum of 20,000 miles must be purchased in one transaction to receive discount.

Terms and Conditions: Transactions are nonrefundable and nonreversible. Please allow 72 hours for purchased AAdvantage® miles to post to the designated AAdvantage account. AAdvantage bonus miles will be posted 6-8 weeks following the transaction date. AAdvantage members must purchase 20,000 AAdvantage miles or more in a single transaction from the buyAAmiles® program or giftAAmilesSM program beginning 12:00 am CDT April 2, 2012, to 12:00 pm CDT April 5, 2012, to be eligible for the 15% discount. Discount applies only to mileage price and does not apply towards taxes or $30 transaction processing fee. AAdvantage members must purchase 20,000 AAdvantage miles or more in a single transaction from the buyAAmiles® program or giftAAmilesSM program beginning 12:00 am CDT April 2, 2012, to 11:59 pm CDT May 31, 2012, to be eligible for the 30% AAdvantage bonus mile offer. Bonus mile amount applies only to AAdvantage miles purchased and does not apply towards taxes or $30 transaction processing fee. The AAdvantage bonus miles will be posted to the purchasers’ AAdvantage account. buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles transactions are limited to a combined maximum of 40,000 miles per account, per calendar year. AAdvantage bonus miles earned do not count toward the 40,000 buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles annual limit. AAdvantage miles purchased or earned through this promotion do not count toward elite-status qualification or Million MilerSM status.

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just saw this email as well. It doesn't seem to be worth it as far as I can tell. The best "value" is 40,000 miles with a 12,000 mile bonus (30%) for $965 (includes the 15% discount + $30 transaction fee). This prices out to 1.86 cpm which doesn't seem to be worth it.

Even if you have a Citibank AA Visa (or any other AA credit card) and get 2 miles/$, that would only add another 1930 miles bringing down the cost to 1.79 cpm... still more than it would be worth to me unless I was topping off for immediate use on a premium class award... that I would be willing to pay for anyway.

3. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:

Sorry, not anymore!!! Since the MM program has gone rogue, the value of purchased miles just went to the moon! I'll stand by in what I said last time. If it was like befire the changes, I'd be buying miles for me, my father, mother, sister, niece, and more family members... but now... nothing!! So much for their brilliant MM program!!! ;)

travelmommy likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With the price of airfare to some locations, that $965 for 52K can give you a nice discount on flights if needed. It's not perfect and there are still some good deals out there, but as consolidations continue, flight loads improve, and fuel stays high, we might need to think outside the box from what we've seen as "good value" in the past 5 years.

newbluesea likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA's MM program is still very generous when compared to other programs. You can always compare what it was to what it is, but I prefer to compare what it is now to what others offer now.

wrxmom likes this.
  6. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have a different opinion about it, since the only perks for the MM program are the LT GOLD AND PLATINUM Status and the 4 Evips each million! I just think that's not generous at all, it's like a change now, since flying miles will count, imagine how much someone new to the program would have to spend to get 4 Evips for the 1st time! Indeed it was generous when every mile count, but I think now, it's not at all, they should at least count those purchase miles into the MM program, after all, you're aquiring them for a very expensive price!!! Then again, it's just my opinion!

travelmommy and Aktchi like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You've missed my point, you're still comparing the old program to the new program. Of course the new program isn't nearly as great as the old one.

Please compare it to MM programs at UA/DL/US and then give your explanation on why the AA program is not competitive. I think it holds up pretty decently.

wrxmom and newbluesea like this.
  8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I won't compare the programs, but will simply state that if these miles counted towards MM status at this price, I would buy them. Since they don't, I won't.

Aktchi and Eloy Fonseca Neto like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I won't be either. Doesn't mean AA's MMer program isn't competitive with what others offer though. :)

cvsara and wrxmom like this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a maths analysis on this on my blog to determine when this might be valuable. It's basic, but it's intended to be... to help dissolve some of the confusion around the offer.

Note: Since I'm saving up for a large family trip in two years, a trip that will span continents, I buy my full complement of miles each year. At 2 cents per mile, I'll definitely be able to redeem these for 4-5 cpm if not higher. That alone makes it a worthwhile deal for me. My flight earnings this year will likely be over 300,000 RDM including the 100% EXP/PLT bonus, and I've just crossed 700,000 MM miles.

I'd love if they were EQM, or if they counted towards MM... but even without it, my redemption pattern makes this worthwhile. Check my blog (a BoardingArea blog!) for more.

11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, competitively, AA does have some advantages over UA/CO in the million miler benefits, particularly now that UA has lowered the benefits for its one MM (no "welcome" SWUs or annual Regionals any more).

UA plusses: One million miles means Lifetime Star Gold (as contrasted to OW Ruby -- "Star silver equivalent" -- on AA) which includes lounge access on most alliance members (except, of course, for UA/CO) ; complimentary spouse/SO status; unlimited domestic upgrades (if you clear) as contrasted to having to use 500-milers. Only miles flown on United (or Copa) count toward the million.

AA plusses: although no eVIPs/SWUs for first MM, 4 for each higher level; eVIPs/SWUs can be used with all published fare classes (as contrasted to UA where you need "W" or above) except government/military for some reason (UA SWUs don't discriminate); they are valid longer than 12 months. Miles flown on AA partner airlines count toward the million.

- For someone starting out, it seems the first million is better earned on UA/CO, doesn't it (although AA counts miles on partner airlines, so may be faster to reach 1MM)?
    - AA seems to offer better benefits for 2MM (LT Sapphire plus the 4 SWUs);
    - 3 MM is sort of a toss-up since you get the 4 SWUs with AA but get Lifetime 1K (equivalent to EXP/ OW Emerald on AA) status with UA;
    - at 4MM, UA gives you Lifetime Global Services status while AA just kicks in the 4 SWUs (no way to get to EXP currently on cumulative miles). I would say Lifetime UGS (first in line for complimentary upgrades on domestic and international) trumps 4 SWUs.

Of course, I'm sure all this will change over time, as benefits are added or dropped and status is devalued by adding still more layers.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The only things I really prefer about the UA plan is the availability of LT 1K and GS and that their first MM level is higher. The requirement that those miles be BIS on UA makes that prospect of most average people actually reaching those levels slim to none though. I like that AA allows partner BIS to accumulate toward MMer. What your comparison shows, IMHO, is that with the pluses and minuses AA does in fact offer a fairly competitive MM system.

Perfect? No. Competitive? For sure.

13. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nobody can be better in everything. Different carriers offer different advantages. So when comparing AA with UA, you have to remember that the latter offers Premium Economy, bigger alliance, and all round more comprehensive route network. Cathay or Singapore offer better service, more pleasant hubs and connection experience. But then AA used to have a more lucrative FF program. More than a few flyers looked at various pros and cons and chose AA because of that FF program.

So the way I look at it, AA gave up a big part of its competitive advantage, without making any progress in the areas where it used to be at competitive disadvantage. That amounts to a net change in competitiveness for the worse.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just dont buy into the concept that changes to the MMer program are going to have any negative impacts on AA's bottom line that would make them regret the changes. The number of people who care about the MMer program enough to switch carriers or change behavior is minute. They're a loud and vocal group, but a very, very, very small portion of the big picture. I'd wager the benefits AA expects to reap from the MMer changes out weighs the handful of individuals in the grand scheme of things that drop AA or change their flying/spending patterns with regards to CC and miles purchases.

15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    And of course there are those like myself who wouldnt buy them even if they did count the MM program:)

16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA has announced Premium Economy, the joint ventures with BA/IB and JAL have really helped, and AA's redemptions are usually cheaper and easier to get.

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also the planned fleet renewal, in-flight wifi additions, the updated premium cabins planned on the new 777, ability to book AS awards on AA.com with additional partners to come, etc.... No progress at all being attempted by AA in the areas many wanted changes in..... ;)

18. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not up to date on terminology like Premium Economy v Economy Plus, etc., but I understand that with BA it is a truly better seat all around, whereas AA is planning the same seats with added legroom. Of course, for a really tall person, extra legroom can mean everything, and for a really short person next to nothing. Each person will have to weigh and decide the mix of pros and cons offered by different carriers.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA isn't really attempting to compete with Premium Economy offerings that are considered a separate class of service like on BA and QF. They're attempting to compete with the DL and UA's extra leg room/small service improvement offerings. Just like the MMer program, I think AA will appear competitive when their Main Cabin Extra enters service.

20. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to my rather basic understanding, whenever you fly a route, you are competing against everyone else who flies that route. But then maybe AA has a way of selecting who its competitors are. :)

It will certainly be true for the special class of "very tall elites". The rest we'll see.

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought my statement was pretty clear. AA's addition of a premium economy product isn't intended to lure business from those who have premium economy products that are a separate cabin. It's intended to compete with the similar offerings of UA and DL. Not to mention AA can still earn $$$ when someone uses AA to purchase BA's premium economy product over AA's less quality offering on routes that both carriers service due to JBV, so it really isn't that basic. ;)

I didn't mention anything about competing in a general sense. That's a different conversation. :)

22. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:

But perhaps thinking like that is the reason why They are on that current situation right now!

travelmommy likes this.
  23. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Joining a frequent flyer BB seems to automatically qualify you to be the CEO of a major airline.:rolleyes:

JonNYC likes this.
  24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For quite a long time before AA even sought Chp 11 protection, people with much more talent, knowledge, and expertise were talking about the financial problems AA faced. They aren't really a mystery or a secret. None of them seem related to the MMer program or the AAdvantage program though. ;)

25. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't talking about the million mile program itself, but about the thought of "minimal impact". ;)

travelmommy likes this.