Buy US Airways @ 1.88 Cents per Mile

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Kalboz, Nov 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 100% buy Airways Airways miles is back - this offer which will expire on November 30, 2013, will let you purchase up to 50K plus the bonus miles (50,000): https://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/programdetails/purchasemiles/buymiles.html

100K US miles redeem will allow you to redeem a round-trip Business Class flight to Europe, North Asia or South America on one of their partner airlines - See partner award chart: http://www.usairways.com/pv_obj_cac...8A75801A30000/filename/partnerawardtravel.pdf

US Airways award chart: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/usemiles/awardchart.html

2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Kalboz,
    You posting is very much appreciated! It's not as sweet a deal as the "share miles" program from US last month, but worth looking at nevertheless. And with these multiple offers for reduced-fare miles, I'm willing to bet that there's a mile devaluation coming in the future for US.
    Newscience

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, USAIrways offered this same deal this past July. USAirways has been very aggressive in selling their miles during 2013!

Kalboz likes this.
  4. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    hmmm, makes you think a United-esque move might be in their near future.

Burn or get burned.

Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  5. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's right, we have seen the predevaluation moves a lot lately. Probably going to copy AA award chart?

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two other things about this offer:

Supposedly, this offer is "targeted" to certain USAirways customers. Most likely that means everyone that has a USAirways miles account that is at least 12 days old can participate, since you can't participate in any type of transactions with a USAirways miles account until your account is a minimum of 12 days old.

I was able to log onto the USAirways website and see the offer. The same offer came up with either "buy" or "gift" options: 100% buy miles or 100% gift miles, up to a 50,000 mile purchase.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:

Newscience likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're doing this because people are buying them for *A redemptions and they know it... they can make money selling the miles now as I imagine it will stop when they cease to exist and become AA.

For what it's worth, I'm not seeing the offer (or any offer) when I click through to buy miles. Perhaps it's because I have a significant quantity in my account already and they're targeting top-off's?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    Newscience and Kalboz like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the October offer was much better! It was interesting because you could only use that offer (@1.1¢/mile) to "gift" miles - again up to 50,000 miles. Of course, you could "gift" someone the miles, and have them "re-gift" the miles in return. And yes, that offer was open to anyone who wanted to take advantage of it.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be Interesting to learn just what parameters are being used to target USAirways miles participants with this offer. I also have a significant number of miles in my account, and have been able to access it. You cannot access the offer until you enter your name and USAirways miles account. Have you tried to do that? What I found interesting was that I learned about the offer by reading Kalboz's post, and haven't yet received an email about this offer from USAirways.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :( I read here about that offer, but when I checked my account there was nothing for me.

12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if you're not targeted for this offer, and want to take advantage of it, why not give USAirways a call? Although, you may want to consider that, at ~1.88¢/mile, when the same offer was promoted in July, many of the "travel gurus" advised against buying USAirways miles, unless you had an immediate use for them with a trip booking.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This. Even if I were eligible I wouldn't buy because I can't use them in the near term (less than 90 days). I just had 200K redeposit from a trip I had to cancel at the end of December. Now I'm considering those might just end up being rolled into AAdvantage at some point... hopefully counting towards MM status (but likely not).

14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received the email offer today from USAirlines. This is what it looks like:

Get 100% bonus miles when you buy miles*
    [​IMG]
    An exclusive offer just for you
    Did you know that you can buy miles? It's a quick and easy way to reach award travel so you can see places like Ireland sooner. As a first-time buyer, you can get a 100% bonus when you buy miles – up to 50,000 miles.

Here's how it works:
    Buy 10,000 milesGet 20,000 miles
    Buy 25,000 milesGet 50,000 miles
    Buy 50,000 milesGet 100,000 miles
    You also can buy miles and gift them to a family member or friend. Gift miles and they’ll get a 100% bonus on the miles you give.
    Buy miles[​IMG]Gift miles[​IMG]

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Careful, then... that might be a scam. The correct business for the airline is US Airways.

Newscience likes this.
  16. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the same mail and it's from US Airways. I think the Newscience just mistyped.

Newscience likes this.
  17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to hear - I can only imagine people trying to take advantage of this and running a scam, much like the American Airline postcards that aren't from American Airlines.

TravelBear and Newscience like this.
  18. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so. I'd guess that s/he just typed the text in wrong.

My email lists it correctly.

Newscience likes this.
  19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gents,

It is USAirways! My multitasking led to the typo. Apologies for that.

The bottom line is that you can use the links provided to see if you have access to this offer.

Cheers!

TravelBear likes this.