Buy up to Business on a Mileage ticket

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Ygor, Dec 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    More of a FYI with a couple questions associated to the subject.

Relative was heading back to Argentina (return on an award ticket) on UA. (CO issued tkt, CO miles).
    At check in, she is offered buy up to United Business for $631. Given that she had 3 bags, and the third bag was going to cost $200, at a net cost of $431, she did not have to think long. All other obvious benefits notwithstanding.

I thought this was a pretty great deal, specially if you compare it to a miles+copay option on a regular revenue tkt (About $1200 nowadays to EZE from PHL via IAD or IAH)

Question: Do you earn miles as a C cabin passenger, or do you earn miles based on your original ticket? (in this case, no miles as it was a reward) I am sure I could wait to see if the miles post on her account, but we MPers are a little obsessed regarding all frequent flyer matters :D

She is now hooked. I spoke to her this morning after her arrival in EZE, and she said had she know how much nicer the seats really were, she would have done this sooner. This relates to my point in the Marketing Suggestion to UA thread. She said food and service were ok, not great, but still worth what she paid for, in her opinion. As a curious data point, her name did not show on the upgraded list on the flight status information page.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You earn based on the original paid fare, not the upgrade. UA has long done this on flights where they are otherwise going to have empties up front.

3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    {{ lightbulb going off over my head }}

Does CO offer this on CO awards as well?

My husband and I have a pair of coach seats going to Kosrae on CO Micronesia next month. If there are empties up front, will they let us buy-up at HNL? Boy, would that make the whole thing easier on my behind...

We did this trip a few years ago in coach, actually, and with the stops and the light load we had on the way over, being in back wasn't so bad. But still...if given the opportunity, I'd sure as heck pay to sit in the comfy seats.

4. Yavamos

Yavamos Active Member

Status Points:
    I have asked to upgrade award tix on UAL before, and have not been able to do so. Is this something new

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The cash at check-in upgrade is only offered if they know they will otherwise have seats available. If there are pending EUAs they aren't supposed to sell them.

CO historically has not offered it on BusinessFirst flights while United has. No idea which way they'll go in the future.

Titans26 likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that they do UDU on the island hopper, I wouldn't expect free seats for upgrade sale. When we took it, my wife got upgraded, I didn't (separate PNR).

7. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless UA Insider stated otherwise, I don't the Island Hopper - at least, if booked as 1 HNL-GUM segment - will be CPU eligible.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I had no idea what "UDU" meant, so finally got use out of the cool in-line glossary thingie here on MP. Very cool.

And thanks for the info. When my husband and I last took it (3 years ago, I think), there were empties up front the whole way from HNL to KSA. I remember scowling at them as we had to leave the plane for "security checks" along the way, while those up front did not...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No need to memorize it. It's a term that's bound for the bit bucket as the new UA changes it to CPU (I think) -- Complimentary Premier Upgrades. http://www.onepassmergerupdates.com/en/op/MileagePlusin2012/2012MPStatusChart

UDU may even be the wrong term for CO and UA-terminology only.

Hmm, maybe you're lucky. Or maybe they didn't give me the seat because it wasn't available the entire way (we were flying all the way to GUM). But at least initially it was definitely full. My empty exit row wasn't too bad either, though, and I didn't have to argue with my wife over the window seat :)

As for getting off the plane -- I actually enjoyed that.

Enjoy your trip!

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It certainly qualified in 2010. Booked as one segment -- HNL-GUM. Obviously, that may change going to forward.

12. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did your relative ever get any miles, or is it like Aramean said, based upon originally booked award ticket (no miles).

13. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had a chance to ask her as she is traveling all over, but Aramean is pretty much never wrong in this type of information, so I am pretty sure she did not get miles. I will report back if I have a chance to find out.