Buy United Miles @ 40% Off

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Mike Reed, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a mailer from United today - buy UA miles @ 40% off through October 31, 2012. Here's the link to use for the promo (not targeted or personalized).

20% off up to 30,000 miles
    40% off over 30,000 miles up to 100,000 miles

At 40% off, that still works out to just under 2.3 cpm (2.2575), so not as good a deal as the US miles promo (1.8 cpm), which are still valid on *A carriers, but a good deal if you have an immediate use for them above the 2.3 cpm value.

Added it to my blog, too (but the details are all here in this post - no "teaser" information to drive traffic).

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The award accelerator miles I bought the other day (for the purpose of getting PQMs, mind you) cost 2.3 cents/mile. I believe that's been the rate for those for a quite a while for my reservations. So in general, it's probably worth looking at the price United charges for accelerator miles before buying miles the regular way.

mht_flyer and aptraveler like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're likely right. This is just an opportunity to "top off" for an award, etc. I have a use for the US miles, but generally only keep about 50K UA miles on hand. I can't justify buying these because I don't need them... and because I have miles on AA and AS as well anyway (and Hawaiian, but that's a different, aggravating story).