buy ticket now or wait

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by BWIflyer, May 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

  1. BWIflyer
    Original Member

    BWIflyer Silver Member

    Messages:
    250
    Likes Received:
    585
    Status Points:
    595
    I am planning to go to India in Jan 2012. I have been checking prices and I find them around $1400. Should I buy now or wait. On Kayak, how can I find out as to whether it is refundable or not and upgradable or not.
     
  2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

    jmrich1432 Silver Member

    Messages:
    570
    Likes Received:
    846
    Status Points:
    770
    FareCompare has a whole section dedicated to "When To Buy" http://www.farecompare.com/articles/when-to-buy/ check it out, it may help. I personally have never bought an international ticket more than 2 months out, but that's because I don't plan very far in advance.
     
    Scottrick and BWIflyer like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

    MSPeconomist Gold Member

    Messages:
    58,563
    Likes Received:
    98,528
    Status Points:
    20,020
    It's hard to answer without knowing the airline(s). Some carriers tend to be more expensive if you buy tickets too early. Also, how much flexibility do you have on dates and routings?

    I would be extremely surprised if it were refundable without fees at this price. You need to look at the fare rules. Whether it's upgradeable depends on the rules of your FF program and, in some cases, whether you plan to use miles or SWUs. My best guess without knowing any details is that it is not upgradeable and if it is, there will be a big ($500?) co-pay in each direction. Remember that upgrades require not only an upgradeable fare class but also upgrade inventory, not just empty business class seats.
     
    BWIflyer likes this.
  4. Aktchi
    Original Member

    Aktchi Silver Member

    Messages:
    609
    Likes Received:
    668
    Status Points:
    720
    For January travel, I would wait. The fares usually drop after Summer.
     
    BWIflyer likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

    gleff Co-founder

    Messages:
    3,616
    Likes Received:
    6,793
    Status Points:
    4,670
    On the whole, leisure travel around 90 days out. I wouldn't be so anxious to buy a $1400 ticket now, hard to believe you won't still be able to buy a $1400 ticket in a few months if the price doesn't otherwise drop.
     
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

    Scottrick Gold Member

    Messages:
    2,586
    Likes Received:
    4,078
    Status Points:
    2,570
    I usually start looking 2-3 months out for international and 1-2 months for commercial. Now, I probably won't buy the ticket until 1 month out, but I look. There are few cases when I buy the ticket more than 2 months out. These are when I know the market well and I am very certain of my dates. For example, I go to AMA over Memorial Day and Christmas every year and SFO over Thanksgiving. I also have a few other destinations on my "list" each year, some with and some without dates, so I have fare alerts on those routes. Right now I'm looking at OGG in fall or winter, and I know UA had <$350 fares not long ago, so I'm waiting out the current spate of $600-800 fares.

    It pays to know the market, and with 6-7 months to go, you can afford to watch it for a month and see how fares change before you book it yourself. Look at fares for close-in travel, too. That way you can see how fares change in the last 1-3 weeks before departure, even if it's for dates that aren't relevant to you.
     
    BWIflyer likes this.
  7. BWIflyer
    Original Member

    BWIflyer Silver Member

    Messages:
    250
    Likes Received:
    585
    Status Points:
    595
    For flights in 4 weeks, the price is $2000. It might be because it is peak time, as the schools are going to close and Parents with school going children are going to India to visit familes.
     

Share This Page