Buy PC Points with 50% Bonus

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Kalboz, Mar 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the new PointBreaks list is out, this is a good time to buy Priority Club Points. You can buy up to 50K PC points per calendar year at $13.50 per 1,000 points. Currently, there is a special to buy PC points with a 20%-50% bonus points depending on the number of points purchased for a maximum total haul of 75K points with this special offer bringing the cost down to $7.67 per 1K PC points.

cliq, sobore, perryplatypus and 2 others like this.
  2. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow with the pointbreak properties that's 15 stays for 575.25 or a whopping $38.35 a night!

uggboy, viguera and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or, you can get it for a mere $30/night using the cash & points method that some people find objectionable, but nevertheless legal. To utilize this method, you'd make cash & points reservations and then cancel these reservations. When you cancel, your used PC points go back into your account PLUS the points you purchased also get deposited into your account, as there is no cash refund for the extra points purchased, so you’re effectively getting points at half price at this very easy step-by-step method:

• For starter, you must have a minimum of 5K PC points in your account
    • Search for a reward night for some time in the future. For example say you found a hotel at 15K PC points per night
    • Book the night and select “5,000″ + $60, essentially buying 10K points at $60
    • Complete Credit-card details and confirm booking
    • Cancel the booking
    • Result: The 5K points originally debited PLUS the 10K extra you just purchased for $60, are both credited to your account.

These points will NOT count towards achieving status and hence, I'd rather pay the extra (as shown in OP) and get the Platinum status. However, unlike the purchasing points special, this method is always available.

uggboy, viguera, cliq and 3 others like this.
  4. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Wow Kalboz, thanks for this info. I don't stay at priority club properties much but I have learned through MP to diversity my points and to keep my options open! This going to be a main goal mine this year. Next year I plan on traveling alot and I hope to hoard up many different hotel chain points this year. Can this method be used with any other chains?

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah ... unfortunately, just PC.

Also, if you are looking for good traveling on a budget without much concentration on status, I'd consider using the Steve Sickle F&F’s rate to book, you will get some amazing properties at a great rate. But no points are used or earned for this rate.

uggboy and perryplatypus like this.
  6. anomadtoo

anomadtoo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This just might as well be one of my purchases to meet my spending requirement on my Surpass card :) Get 20k Hilton points and PC Plat status for a year and a half!

uggboy, Kalboz and perryplatypus like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, anomadtoo and perryplatypus like this.
  8. perryplatypus

Status Points:
    Thanks for the Steve sickle site too. I remember reading about that a long time ago. Glad you brought it back to the forefront of my memories!

9. moibm

moibm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a planned vacation coming up Memorial Day weekend to Las Vegas and was planning on staying at the Venetian. I was looking at the Friends And Family site in order to book a room for 3 nights but there is no extra discount offered for Venetian.

I was reading the forum and seems like the RA privileges are honored when booking via Friends and Family link.

I was wondering do I have to be an RA or do I get to use RA privileges because Steve S. is an RA and I am booking booking under his reference?
    If I get to use the RA privileges, would be worth booking though Steve's link...

I have to book 2 rooms for 3 days at the Venetian, any suggestions for getting better rates/discount would be great full.

Thanks
    PS: Love the forum. It has made my travel more pleasurable....

10. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is a thread on the Venetian

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/venetian-palazzo-in-las-vegas-are-ihg-partners.3739/page-2

11. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    @moibm - you have to be an RA in order to have RA benefits. The Steve Sickel link is for the Friends and Family rate, which is a discounted rate.

12. moibm

moibm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link and clarification.

Tentative Plan:
    Costco is selling $100 gift cards redeemable at vegas.com for $80. It can be used to book hotels in vegas through vegas.com. The prices on vegas.com can be matched to prices on IHG site (Friends and Family discount is not applicable at the Venetian and Palazzo), so basically giving 20% discount on hotel booking.

Question: Is there a better way to get more discount or cheap venetian hotel room?

Also, I was thinking of buying the Ambassador status in IHG to get room upgrade. Do Ambassador upgrade privileges work at the Venetian ( from the threat couldn't really get an answer, mixed posts).

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

13. frank10b

frank10b Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wonder if this can be done in combo with Ultimate Rewards of Chase mall to get pts there? Has anybody done this how long does it take?
    So I can pay 50$ or buy 17K pts plus the 20% bonus and that will get me to gld status? Or do I need to buy 20K pts for 250.00 to get gld?
    basically I just need free internet on some point break stays.... any other ideas?
    thanks

14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bonus points & purchased points count for gold/plat IHG status. So buying 17k + 20% bonus is enough for gold + 4 points break nights.

uggboy, perryplatypus and Kalboz like this.
  15. frank10b

frank10b Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great to know! thanks! wonder if there is a way I can get Ultimate reward pts for this purchase of pts?

16. frank10b

frank10b Silver Member

Status Points:
    i wonder if gld is enough for something free at CP, in the past it has been for me with HI in europe but at CP more stingy, thoughts?

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It adds up to around $7.60 cents per 1000 points. Real tangible value is around $6.00 per 1000 points. This is okay if you have an award in mind and you want to top off your account to achieve that award. A cheaper way (around $7.00 per 1000 PC points) to that end would be following this method: Buy PC Points with 50% Bonus

Either way, purchased points no longer count towards achieving PC Platinum status.

uggboy and guinnessxyz like this.
  19. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    It used to be a great deal to buy pts because they will be counted as qualifying points - but if they don't count then the $7/1k pts would be a better deal.

20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the best value in buying the PC points would be through the upcoming sale on Daily Gateway where you can get 1K PC points for $6.30 (or for $5.67 if you are using any AMEX card). 100K PC points for $630, or, $567 if you are using any AMEX card: https://dailygetaways.ustravel.org/OfferDetails.aspx?pid=2be469c5-756f-4626-8205-265472cbf1fd

21. Kalboz,
    Estimated value number is very contrived. for 100,000 points I would get 2 nights at most high end IC's with a rough value of about $700 Max.

• Available:
        June 28th, At 1:00 PM ET​
      • Price:
        $630​
      • Estimated Value:
        $1,150​
      • 1000 Available

Kalboz likes this.
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    High end IC properties can be as much as $500 per night ... but WE never pay those rates, right? :) A better value would be getting 20 nights at the discounted rates of PointBreak deals: http://www.ihg.com/priorityclub/hotels/us/en/global/redeem/pointbreaks

23. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh yes, only if you are US resident, or have a CC with US billing address. We are neither :(

Kalboz and guinnessxyz like this.
  24. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is great, thanks! Especially when i'm using it at Bora Bora & Thalasso Spa which has an excellent redemption rate.

Kalboz likes this.