Buy miles at 40% off through 17 Feb 2014

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Current buy miles promo is 40% off if you buy more than 40,000 points (up to 150K). At ~2.25cpm that's pretty darn close to the best you'll generally get with the Mileage Maximizer option, and this doesn't require booking/cancelling tickets or guessing at which itinerary to book to get the "right" number of miles to buy.

Not the cheapest way to get points, but one of the cheapest ways to get them directly from UA.

2. Sandy
    Original Member

Sandy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got that email too. Thinking about it for use to Europe, but need to do the math in my head first...

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the seats you want can be booked then it is quite likely cheaper than buying the ticket outright; more so in premium cabins though watch for the APD and Chirac tax premiums. The bigger question is whether it is cheaper than another means to acquire the points you need. The answer is probably a "no" on that but there's the time/convenience factor to consider.

4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah, i think Gary was the one who said before, everything can be explained and clearer with an excel sheet...:p