Buy Hyatt Points or Transfer from UR for Points + Cash?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by OceanTrotter3, Aug 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm currently prepping for the Diamond Challenge, and will utilize the points + cash option for most of my stay.

There is a promotion going on right now for 20~40% bonus GP points. I also have enough points I can transfer from UR for a few stays. I was wondering if it make more sense to buy GP (hence saving UR pts for later), or just use UR points? Maybe it's a no-brainer, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks! :)

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best you're going to get buying the points is 1.7 cents each. If you value Chase UR points higher than that then buying the Hyatt points is a better financial decision. At least that's the theoretical math.

Really depends a lot on cash flow and where you want to spend money now versus later.

OceanTrotter3 and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming Seth's math is correct (I assume it is, but I have not checked), I would burn the UR points. 1.7 cents is a decent value. You might be able to get more value from some of the other UR partners (short-haul US segments using BA Avios with no last-minute ticketing fees!, or Amtrak northeast awards), but this seems like a good value.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    OceanTrotter3 and B1BomberVB like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a bit OT: Have you looked beyond meeting this GP Diamond Challenge to how easy or difficult it would be for you to maintain the Diamond status subsequently? Making GP Diamond through stays can be expensive because their properties tend to be costlier than similar properties offered by the other chains.

Just something that always crosses my mind when I read about someone taking the GP Diamond Challenge...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  5. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Good question.

I'm currently planning to request for the challenge on the assumption that it will last through February 2016. As for the year 2015, I'm not too sure if I will be able to meet the 25 stays required to retain the status for the following year. But at least I'd be able to enjoy the benefit for a year or so. And if I don't make it by, I can still fall back on the Platinum through the Hyatt cc.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that if you take the challenge now and make it the status will last until 2016, so you would definitely get to enjoy it for a full year and a bit more. Also, GP does offer the best top tier challenge in the business because the GP Diamond status and associated perks start at the beginning of the challenge rather than after successful completion. I have been tempted to take it but the prospect of having to meet the 25-stay or 50-night requirement to requalify subsequently has always made me change my mind. For my staying pattern, which involves relatively long stays (4-night or more), I would go broke if did 25 stays per year at the relatively costly Hyatt properties. The best program for re/qualifying for elite status is Hilton Honors because one can re/qualify based on (a) no. of nights, (b) no. of stays, and (c) no. of base points, the latter being tailored-made for someone like me. This year, I already requalified early last month for HHonors Diamond based on earning with 121K base points (120K required @ 10/$) after only 7 stays / 35 nights. To make GP Diamond one requires 25 stays or 50 nights. That is almost 3 times the number of stays it took me to make HHonors Diamond! Folks who do a whole bunch of 1- or 2-nighters can make GP Diamond more affordably based on stays; I would go broke before I made GP Diamond that way.

On the other hand, I am GP Platinum through the Chase Hyatt Visa or United Club Visa, so I have stayed at several GP properties on revenue in some top cities overseas (e.g., Ho Chi Minh City, Taipei, Jakarta) that did not have a Hilton presence but had cool GP properties. I now also have Gold status in Marriott Rewards through the recent UA/Marriott JV, greatly expanding my flexibility...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    viguera and OceanTrotter3 like this.
  7. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Very cool tidbit on reaching status w/ Hilton. If you don't mind elaborating (although I know this is the Hyatt forum ;)), are the 121k base points solely gained from Hilton stays? Thanks!

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the 121K base points were all from paid stays at Hilton properties, and included incidentals. That is equivalent to spending $12.1K...

BTW, I also found out that I have an automatic SPG Gold status for having an AMEX Biz Platinum, adding to my flexibility to find places where I can stay and be recognized because I have status. Status recognition, even to 2nd tier, is great in Asia except for GP Platinum, which gets you almost nothing.

OceanTrotter3 likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You make a good point, but you also have to consider the value of Hyatt Diamond vs. Hilton Diamond. You can accumulate a lot more points as a Hilton Diamond, but during the actual stays -- depending on the property -- you'd basically get internet access and a couple of bottles of water, even if you're staying at the Waldorf.

With Hyatt at least you have 4 guaranteed suite upgrades and club access or full breakfast, which depends on where you stay can be a seriously good value.

10. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    I see. I think I'm differentiating gaining elite status through genuine stay vs. through stay to get status. That's confusing. What I'm trying to say is, I can do Hyatt's Points + Cash with GP for about $60+ / night at Cat 1, or Cat 2 for 25 stays, which comes up to about $1,500+. But the reality is, I might not be staying at properties that are Cat 1, or 2 during vacations, etc. So it would have to be a conscious effort to reach that threshold rather than say, reaching that requirement naturally because I'm already going somewhere. Hope that made sense. :)

NYCUA1K likes this.
  11. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm certainly gunning for those 4 guaranteed DSUs w/ this trial. :)

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should have received the suite upgrades at the beginning of the trial. They should be under your account details under "My Awards"

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I knew that sooner or later someone was going to chime in and tell us how great GP Diamond status is compared to HHonors. The more apt comparison is GP Diamond v.s. Marriott or HHonors Gold and not v.s. HHonors Diamond, especially since the 'devaluation' of the GP program when costs for suite upgrades became per night rather than per stay. GP overall is, in fact, a greatly emaciated version of its former self. I did a lengthy comparison of GP v.s. HHonors Diamond perks here. For instance, you think that the 4 guaranteed upgrades for GP Diamond are great, except that they are good only on revenue stays and after they are used up, that's it for the year. HH Diamonds are entitled to suite upgrades depending upon availability but without limit to how many, even on reward stays (this year I have been upgraded to a suite 100% of the time so far). HHonors Diamonds also have free breakfast and exec lounge access. Well, Take a look at the comparison and let me know what I got wrong...

P.S. As already acknowledged, one thing great about GP is the Diamond Challenge. After that, things go downhill...

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well someone is on the defensive... :) And this is the Hyatt section of MP after all so you're bound to run into some Hyatt "loyalists" :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure for you (and others) HHonors is a great program. While I was sending stays their way I never really had any complaints. But I left them and IHG last year for Hyatt and haven't looked back.

I haven't had any issues with upgrades, and when I really, really want an upgrade then I just use a certificate to guarantee it. Maybe some people have issues getting upgrades or maybe they don't see it as good of a program as others based on their stays or their spend or the phase of the moon. Me personally I haven't had any issues.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry but you got that wrong. Follow the link. It is a cold, factual comparison, which I did because I kept hearing folks here and bloggers put GP on a pedestal and I could not see why since I am quite familiar with the program. Please look at my comparative analysis and let me know what you think, before you call me "defensive". I would say that you're the one who seem, well, defensive...;)
    I provided a link to a comparison of HHonors vs. GP. What did I get wrong? I just wanted to set the record straight because we hear things like these quite often but they are not based in reality:

It takes 25 stays to make GP Diamond and you have only 4 guaranteed upgrades. Once the 4 are used up (4 stays), no more upgrades for GP Diamonds for 21 stays, except maybe for those who have stayed multiple times as the same property...No freebies otherwise. BTW, I rank suite upgrades at the top of my list of Diamond perks...

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure I understand what you mean by "gaining elite status through genuine stay vs. through stay to get status." I am also not sure I understand the rest of the post. All programs (GP, SPG, MAR, HH) do now offer the Cash+Points option, and at HHonors even pure rewards stays have always counted toward elite qualification (meaning you do not need to use any cash at all to get stay credit if you only have the points.)...

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again, I don't know why but you do seem defensive about your position, but that's ok... we're all entitled to our opinion. You have a comparison of the programs, good for you, nice work.

At the end of the day, it doesn't change the fact that -- for me -- Hyatt has been a better program than Hilton was. Maybe it has to do with the number business-related stays which have been covered by my company rather than from my own pocket, maybe it's the fact that I have received suite upgrades even without being confirmed, or that my experience at the properties that I've stayed at are superb compared to the ones I had while I was with Hilton.

Either way, I'm sure your numbers don't lie and I'm sure Hilton is better for you. I can't dispute that with you any more than you can dispute the fact that Hyatt is better for me.

But thanks to the link to your comparison, I'll make sure to take a look when I get a chance.

18. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    I guess I was trying to underline the difference with the nature of those stays. Genuine as in, I'm going on vacation and need to stay at a hotel, so I choose Hyatt because I want to meet the 25 stays requirement to retain status. In those cases, the cost might be higher than say if I just choose a local category 1/2 Hyatt properties & do a points + cash MR to meet stay requirement.

I can certainly see the allure of HHonors. But at this time, from my POV (the plateau of mediocrity), I'm, rather short-sightedly perhaps, trying to experience the luxury of elite status (i.e. DSU) on an upcoming trip. :)

NYCUA1K and viguera like this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am glad you feel that I sound "defensive" when I was afraid that I might have been so much on the offense that I might have"offended". There is nothing I have said here that I have not said multiple times before, and you are not the first I have provided the link to my comparison of GP vs. HH. The point again was that the following statement and variants thereof are often seen here but they have no basis in reality:
    I am still waiting for a rebuttal...hardly a "defensive" position.;)

viguera likes this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got it. A mattress run vs. an aspirational stay. One's sole purpose is to try to make status, while the other is for some real R&R.
    I am fully with you. I enjoy staying at Hyatt properties because they are usually tastefully done and the service is second to none. In the past, most of my stays at GP properties were on revenue and in Asia. In the process, I also accumulated a decent number of GP points which now allow me to book C+P stays.

21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was unaware that a rebuttal was necessary... you seem to be taking the rather untenable position of trying to convince me that somehow Hilton is better for me than Hyatt, simply because it's better for you. I have no idea how you can accomplish that, but if I have time to waste later to try and drag you into some nonsensical hotel fanboy war, I'll make sure to come back around and try. :)

As I mentioned before, I have no doubt that you have done the math and figured Hilton is better (for you), complete with property comparisons and all the nice graphics and goodies. I'm not sure if that warrants some kind of Internet Badge of Coolness or whatever else you expect me to bestow upon you for it, so all I can say is... good job?

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...As I recall it, you are the one who made the untenable statement that "With Hyatt at least you have 4 guaranteed suite upgrades and club access or full breakfast" implying HHonors lacks such perks. The fact is HHonors Diamonds do get all of those perks and then some (unlimited suite upgrades even on reward stays; exec lounge access; free breakfast; etc). So, the notion that I am "trying to convince [you] that somehow Hilton is better" gets it backwards. My point is that the claim (by you and others) that GP Diamonds have great perks while HH Diamonds [your words] "basically get internet access and a couple of bottles of water, even if you're staying at the Waldorf" is ludicrous. Go to the link!
    I must rest my case because I no longer know how else to state the obvious...

viguera likes this.
  23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

Good job with your comparison though. :-P

NYCUA1K likes this.
  24. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Thanks for y'all inputs. :)
    Each have its pros and cons, my goal is to slowly figure out a program that is more suited for my routines, etc.

So... coming back to the OP/my question, I think I will just transfer from Chase.

25. OceanTrotter3

Status Points:
    Totally missed this post for some reason. The comparison based on points valuation make sense.

I'm currently referencing that the UR points are valued at around 2 cents, but there are no transfer partner valued as high. And Hyatt (referencing that its valued at 1.7 cents itself) is one of the higher valued hotel points, so maybe transfer makes more sense. Thanks!