Buy AA Miles (via points.com) - No November 'Sweetener' this year?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Records in "Quicken" on this pc show that for the past two Novembers -- 2009 and 2010 -- I was able to purchase AA miles up to an annual maximum of 60,000 - as opposed to AA's usual rule of 40,000 - by waiting until November when AA had a special offer. In addition to the 60,000, there were also "bonus miles" on top of that as part of the special promotion (the bonus miles weren't credited until some time later). Both years.

("Quicken" also shows I did this in 2008 for 60,000 miles, but it was December - don't know if they held off the promo a month that year, or if I just waited that long to pay the credit card bill, though usually I do try to put things in "Quicken" as soon as the expense is incurred, even if not billed.)

Anyway, here we are 4 to 5 days into November 2011, and there is neither a raise in the 40,000 cap to 60,000, nor a bonus miles promotion for Buy AA Miles. That's all quite within AA's rights, of course - there's no rule that binds them to repeat a promo every year.

However, I was just wondering, particularly if it ends up this promotion comes back in December this year, instead of November, if AA was holding off because non-BIS miles credited in December and later no longer qualify for Million-Miler goodies????? D'ya 'spose I am reading too much into this?

2. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know friend, I thought the same thing, but then I realize.
    If I were the Airline, what would be best for me?

I assume they know, if they put this promo in december, a lot of FF won't buy those extra miles, but if they allow now, on the other hand their profit would be greater. And for them 20K of impacting on MM program is nothing, for crying out loud. I'm 1.68 now, and if they allow me to buy more before december I will. And unless there is any change to it's program, it will be the last time I'll buy miles with AA!

JAbrams72 and Kalboz like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    perhaps their crystal ball shows greater profit/benefit for AA w/o a promo from those wanting to top off before changes to the MM program?

4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can't see how that's possible. The impact is minimum (20K) for 1MM or 2MM!!!

5. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anybody know how long it takes bought miles to post? I haven't bought my 40k yet this year and want to do it before Dec 1 (for obvious reasons. It won't put me over 1 mill but will get me a tad bit closer). I just don't want to wait too long and not have them post in time.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The T&C say allow 72 hours, but I have seen them go in as early as the next morn. The exception, which points.com is relatively upfront about, is any bonus miles they throw in on top of the ones you buy. (No current bonus offers so far as I know). The bonus miles wait until an offer ends, and often seem slow as molasses.

miles and smiles likes this.
  7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Photonerd I'm sure you've thought of this but if you buy 40,000 miles, it would me best to do so with a miles-producing credit card, one with a billing cycle that ends, say, Nov. 25 or before. Unless you have one of those new $450 fancy AA cards where miles will still count to the million for another year....

8. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the new MC elite card. So yes I am already paying the cell, light, tv bills etc for the extra miles. I already got the initial 25k bonus for the card. But I'm just trying to keep the balance down on it and pay it off as I go. So I guess I'll wait till about the 3rd week before I drop another $1100 or so for the 40k miles. ((who knows maybe I'll get lucky and they will offer another bonus like they did a couple months ago which I was to dumb to get in on) :)

Either way, it's not really that big of a deal, at best I'll still only be around 350k at the end of next year, that includes this 40k and a few vacation trips I'm starting to plan for next year. But even so, I'll still be 300k closer then I am on CO. Plus I have my fools gold level from the card (or brass as I like to call it) so I get many of the gold bennies anyway plus AC access to boot.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll be asking the throbbing brain that is this board later about the best way to get to ARN from IAH a bit later,

9. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It seems they are really not going to rise the mileage cap before DEC 1. Sometimes I don't know what kind person decides those things. Can't they seem this is only prejudicial? 20K has a 1% impact on the PLAT LT and 2% impact on GOLD LT.

And they complain about profit later!!!

10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eloy maybe I missed one, but I don't recall the Buy Miles mileage cap ever being raised except near the beginning of a month. So for a couple of weeks now, I've been pretty sure November was out. I do think in 2008 they may have waited until December. If they do raise it in December for a promotion this year, we will be able to all debate if they held off because of the MM change. But we probably would never be able to prove it.

11. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're right, but 2008 I bought above the mileage cap to use for a travel on DEC. 1st, so I'm sure it wasn't 2008!!! Neither 2009 and 2010 when I began to buy miles insanely due to the Threat of the Change of MM program. Thank God I did!!!

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just in time to miss the MM cut off, AA's option to buy miles offers this promo ;):

Special Offer: Give Yourself the Gift of Travel Plus Earn up to 20,000 Bonus Miles!

What better time to use your American Airlines AAdvantage® miles to travel? Between now and December 31, 2011, when you buy the miles you need to book your award travel now, you’ll earn a special bonus — for every 6,000 miles you purchase, you’ll earn 2,000 bonus miles, up to 20,000 bonus miles! And for the month of December only, the limit of purchasing 40,000 miles per account, per calendar year has been raised to 60,000 miles. Go ahead — give yourself the gift of travel this holiday!

13. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL, As soon as I saw DestinationDavid had posted to this thread early on 1 Dec, I knew before I even read his post what had happened. We can wonder and debate until the cows come home whether the timing had anything to do with the cutoff. But now I have to decide whether I want to do it or not.

14. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Too late AA, due to this unfortunate stunt I won't buy any single mile, and regarding the MM, that's like a round trip to Alaska for me which I'll be glad to do next year!! AA just lost the opportunity to sell me miles because of a stupid idea to restrict 20k into going to the MM program! Very sad! I do hope they read this!

15. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eloy it looks like you and I differ about 2008, because the more I look at my "Quicken" records it's pretty clear I didn't buy my final 20,000 in 2008 until December, and if they had been possible in November, based on available cash that year, I would have. I know you feel certain it was different than my recollection in 2008, and looking for a common denominator I am wondering if there might have been a temporary cap-raise earlier in '08, like spring or summer, that you took "Aadvantage" of, and I didn't??? Then maybe the cap-raise went away, but came back in December when I bought in???

16. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Humm, I think it's possible you're right, but honestly I can't quite remember that with a surgical precision, sorry about that friend!

17. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if it is not a bad time to buy. 80,000 for $1650 is not bad if you put it towards Cathay FIRST of 135,000 --

18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, to me -- they took almost every last day to post the bonus miles, but I got them. Bought 20,000 miles under this promotion on Dec. 9. The miles themselves posted promptly, but the T&C said the bonus miles I would be getting (6,000 more) would post 6 to 8 weeks after the end of December. Well, eight weeks after December would have been tomorrow - Feb. 26. The 6,000 miles posted this morning, Feb. 25. One day in advance of being lAAte. (Or as the D.O.T. would see it, one day and 15 minutes in advance.)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just be glad that AA didn't just tell you that they are bankrupt and that you should contact the bankruptcy court for the miles it owes you :)

kansaskeith likes this.
  20. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    In an odd sort of way I actually did think folks would start passing the buck around, though not necessarily to the court, ha ha.

These buy-miles actually go through points.com, never my favorite company. I knew from bad experience with the bonus about three years ago that AA customer service wouldn't touch it until the full eight-week waiting period had elapsed, so on Presidents Day (after a little past seven weeks) I instead e-mailed points.com, which has a targeted e-mail response time of 48 hours. They waited 72 to write me back nicely saying service on my issue was up to AA, not them, and gave me an 800-number (which I already had) to call. So I was going to call AA on Monday and now I don't have to. Until the next time this rolls around :(