Buy a million points, get Platinum and 1 year UClub membership

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Jan 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not at all sure why I just got this offer via email but United is now selling elite status as a bonus offer in conjunction with their Recognition Miles program where you can buy in bulk to give to employees and such. The latest iteration includes the option to get elite status for yourself or a discount:
    [​IMG]

An interesting approach to generating more business selling an airline's most valuable commodity: points. :eek:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...les-in-bulk-and-get-elite-status-from-united/
    https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/BuyMiles/RecognitionMiles/index.html

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty cool. Out of curiosity is 37625.00 a good deal for a million points? If I was basing this all on just normal flying (without bonus or credit card miles), it seems like a pretty good deal for whomever purchases this.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depended on what you used them for...

1 Million Miles as an usa based company/customer will get you the following in economy class.

- 40 RTs between Lower 48, Alaska, and Canada.
    - 18 RTs to Europe
    -16 RTs to Asia/Africa

Now if you want to talk about premium first class travel on LH... 7 RTs in LH F USA/Japan ...

For 7 RTs on LH F $37.2k is a steal when they charge like 15-20k per F ticket.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can readily buy miles at 2 cents each. Buying them in large quantities at 3 cents each seems like a bad idea. Also, only 100,000 points can be assigned to any one account in a year, further reducing the value of the approach.

And pretending that you're getting a discount by purchasing miles to buy an F ticket is pretty silly unless you're willing to buy the F ticket at the higher price anyways.

IDGflygirl, estnet, 8MiHi and 8 others like this.
  5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly why I think this is a bum deal anyways.

mht_flyer likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Coming from someone who just wrote "For 7 RTs on LH F $37.2k is a steal when they charge like 15-20k per F ticket."

:confused:

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I could spend 37.2k for 7 F tickets worth 140k then that's a steal right there.

However as you know I'm not the full fare F buying type myself. ;)

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But the nominal price of those points should be much, much, much closer to 2cpm based on the rates UA has made available in the past through the Mileage Accelerator program. So even the $37K number is a bad idea.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but it all depends on where you're coming from... if you already have status then this doesn't make any sense, even if you're looking at the "discount" -- but if you don't have status then it makes perfect sense...

100K miles is $3,762 on their site, and at that rate it would cost the same exact amount ($9,407) to buy 250k miles and you wouldn't get the status. If you're coming in on the ground floor, and you're crazy enough to want to spend this much money on miles, you might as well get something else for your "investment"

P.S.: Not that any of this matters because unless I'm flying LH/LX F, I would spend half as much money on US miles instead. :)

mht_flyer and Flyer1976 like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can buy 30K RDMs for $630 plus 30K PQMs for $2550. Then 45,000 additional RDMs cost $945. I need 5 of those to get a total of 255K RDMs and 30K PQMs. The total cost there is $7925 and I have 30K PQMs to work with, not just silver status with zero PQMs in my account. Or you could pay $9400 with this deal.

If you are looking at it for personal gain this is a bad deal. Very, very bad.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that US no longer permits LH F redemptions. Or at least that's what I've been hearing.

viguera likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was referring to...

IF I have more money than sense and feel like spending all this money on miles...

AND I wanted to fly LH F...

AND I wanted to buy UA miles to redeem for LH F seats...

THEN I would go this route.

Under any other circumstances I would just buy US miles.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha...I see what you're saying now. :)

mht_flyer and viguera like this.
  14. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just another non deal "deal" from the airlines. They don't seem to understand that by sending these out with such frequency, they are flagged as junk mail or are auto-deleted.

15. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait...the original deal's intent has been lost somehow in this discussion. It wasn't designed to provide miles for the purchaser - so yes, it is a "non deal" deal if all you want is miles and/or status for yourself.

Calculation changes if you do want miles to reward employees or customers, no?

16. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be a great deal if they offered PL LT for that much money.

17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wont question the plain arithmetic of your post above, however, your "valuation" does not take into account a series of in my view very relevent issues....

a) availability of award seats
    b) availability of award seats in the number that you require (say you wanted to travel with a SO)
    c) availability of award seats on suitable travel dates for the schedule you may require
    d) taxes, when you draw award seats, must one not pay taxes and some other charges in cash...?
    e) holding miles has the many times discussed "devaluation" risk... program changes, etc.

I dont mean to get into excessive detail, but in my view, it seems to me that the total cost of this million miles is going to be more than 37 grand in cash and that calling this offer a steal may be a little too agressive.

Also, when you say an F ticket is 15 to 20 grand.... would it not make more sense to use the value of a discounted F ticket..?

In any event, for me, what makes this entire valuation "messy" is that I cant think of a simple way to estimate what are the chances of getting the number of award seats one would want on given dates.... I guess this depends on each flyers special circumstances. If you are always a solo flyer, then this offer has more value to you as we all know that getting only 1 award seat is a lot easier than getting two or more. Also, if you are the type of traveler that has very ample flexibility regarding schedule, then this may have more value to you. Ability to determine travel dates very far in advance are also a key, as flyers that can book awards 300+ days in advance will also see more value in these miles.....

18. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    1 R/T LH flight in F is around 10K.. That gets 3x LH miles at around 80-100k miles. So may not be a bad deal after all..