But...where's MY blanket?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Feb 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unique situation last night on my DFW-SCL flight in J...we boarded a bit late and took our seats in 5A & B and I noticed that there was only one pillow/blanket pack for the two seats; I figured that the other was just in one of the overheads and didn't worry about it. When it came time to use it, though, it turned out that the lady in 6B had taken two additional packs and was using them already and that the FA seemed to be quite aware of it. Now, I normally wouldn't have a problem asking for them back (though who wants a used pillow and blanket?), but she was disabled and using the pillows for some sort of "support.". I really didn't know what to do.

The FA brought me two packs of pillows and blankets from the Y cabin, but they really don't compare. I feel like the FAs should have been more proactive in recovering the products that each seat is supposed to include, and I think that the pax in 6B should have advised AA in advance if she needed something additional. But neither happened, and I meekly said nothing mainly because I was too tired to make a scene.

What would you have done?

On another note, we did get slippers, which was a first for me in the J cabin.

2. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shouldnt they have extra packs on board? The FAs should've acquired another pack for you before the doors closed. Its a simple phone call. And they should have informed you when you sat down (again before the doors closed) of the situation.

jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    And this is why I bring my own pillow and blanket:)

4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently there are no extra J class pillows and blankets loaded, which did surprise me. While it seems that they knew what was going on, as I said I didn't say anything until we were at 30,000 feet, since I thought they were jsut stowed in the overhead. Partially my fault for just presuming that everything was fine and not making sure.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you try the yellow vest--it's surprisingly warm! Alternatively had you put it on, the woman who had taken yours would probably have returned the blanket! ;)

Aktchi, jbcarioca, dmel and 1 other person like this.
  6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    VERY good thought! But I already got in trouble wearing the vest in a bar, so I thought wearing it on an actual flight and consuming alcohol at the same time would be a not-so-good idea. But I could have put the fear of AA into her...oh, hindsight, how I love thee!

dmel and JAbrams72 like this.
  7. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, I don't know if you know but I won one of the vests in the raffle (cheaper than $400), so if you and Marcelo happen to need an extra one, let me know... although it does match my hat!

8. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This seems like an unforseen circumstance and, frankly, AA should have extras on-board. I'd email expressing your disappointment with the level of service on the flight. It's a lot like having an entertainment system that doesn't work - and that frequently elicits miles or coupons in compensation.

9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I think one's enough (I'm still catching an awful lot of flack for that bid), but if for some reason we are both in need of neon yellow with reflective piping, I'll let you know.

Maybe we should plan a Vest Do and all congregate in one AC wearing the vests and see what happens. All we need is a screwdriver, after all.

jbcarioca and JAbrams72 like this.
  10. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Drink or Tool?

11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was on MIA-SCL, and the amenity kit for the seat had been "taken." Noting my seat didn't have one, I asked the FA. She said they don't load extras, can't get the amenity kit from duty free as it's a separate company that charges for lost inventory, and that it's likely that a coach passenger grabbed it on the way back. She said it happens all the time---the FA's place them on top of the pillow & blanket, on the seat, and coach pax take them. My question---if it happens all the time, why keep palcing them on the top of the blanket/pillow pile where they're easily nicked?---didn't get an answer. Those NGBC seats with all those nooks, crannies, pockets...& nowhere to place an a-kit....all that effort on the redesign of the a-kit, so it can get nicked...

Had the previous kit from a previous int'l flight to MIA, so not a big deal, but strange, none the less.

wombat18, jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  12. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It happens all the time? Thats annoying. Again, if they know it happens, wouldnt you think they should put an extra few on board just in case? Preparedness....

wombat18, jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually find my kit tucked into the shelf that's labeled "no magazine storage" under the old IFE space. I've also had them handed out after boarding, too, but that's another step for the FAs so I can see that not being the preferred process.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. I normally have an answer for everything (sometimes right, never in doubt), but I don't know what to tell you here. Ask for it back and you may feel like a jerk. On the other hand, get stuck with an inferior blanket. Had I been in your situation, I probably would have done what you did.

I would, however, drop AA a note. You know the deal; No request for compensation, just something factual. The point is that they should have an extra or two on board.

Mike

15. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel the same way as mikeef. Stuff happens. This was one of those moments when, once it has happened, there is really no good solution.

FWIW, I carry a very lightweight but quite warm shawl in my carry-on which has helped me in similar situations. No pillow, but I could improvise with a folded jacket/sweatshirt etc.

Definitely write AA CS.

zpaul likes this.
  16. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both ;)

zpaul likes this.
  17. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wrote a note to AA and they dropped a few miles into my account along with a note that made it clear that they had read every work of my message. I'm not unhappy. Thanks for all of your input!

rwoman likes this.