But I Really Need to Charge My Phone: A CLT Rant

Discussion in 'RDU/GSO/ILM/EWN/PGV/FAY | North Carolina Airports' started by webdes03, Dec 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to MilePoint, but I've been a travel buff and an active user on Airliners.net and some other travel forums for about 10 years. I found it interesting that there's no mention of CLT on the North Carolina airports thread, and perhaps that's because everyone here are CLT haters. If that's the case, I feel like I'm in good company :)

US Airways has never been my preferred carrier, but sometimes they are convenient. The mainline fleet and service seems tired, but in all honesty, I have zero complaints on the E17x service that Republic operates. The E-jets are relatively comfortable and the crews have always been pleasant (in my experiences). My SO and I recently did RDU-CLT-ATL-CLT-RDU for my work Christmas party in ATL. UA was crazy expensive and I was just 2 segments short of status so we opted for the *A option through CLT to keep it in the family.

The RDU-CLT leg was operated by an old B734 that looked and felt older and more tired than me, and the CLT-RDU segment was a (almost) brand new A321, but that's for another thread (US Airways service inconsistency #fail).

Generally speaking, the trip was decent, and I've connected in CLT many times before, and I'm finally being vocal on this point. Charlotte is "proud" of their airport, to say the least, but I don't find it an overly pleasant place to be. During the day there's great natural light, but at night it's very dark and dingy. Those C/D gates are filthy, the PA systems never seem to work, etc. My biggest complaint of all, is that there are a half-dozen outlets for ~2500 seats. How CLT won airport of the year is beyond me, it's certainly not a place that's high on the list of passenger conveniences, especially for a city as tech savvy as Charlotte.

We ended up down in the D9-D12 area (a couple gates up from the LH gate) and it luckily wasn't terribly busy. It still took a solid 15 minutes to find an outlet. Then, after we sat down, people kept coming over asking if there were any more, and did we really need it.

CLT and US Airways have to do a better job at this. This day in age, those simple passenger amenities are essential.

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I just don't use my phone enough, but I'm always able to get through a day on a charge. I do sometimes use outlets at airports (usually YYZ) to use my netbook and keep my battery fully charged in case I need it later, but it's not that often.

3. coachrowsey

coachrowsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heck guess I don't use mine enough either as I get through at least 2 weeks.

4. monksy

monksy Member

Status Points:
    CLT tends to provide a decent amount of outlets. Look allong the walls or columns. In B they tend to have tables for the chargers. If you fly enough you must travel with a small AC splitter.