Buskers on the Las Vegas Strip

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by NileGuide, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Las Vegas offers entertainment in every category–and that includes street performers, also known as “buskers.”
    While street performers have been around for a long time in many cities, they’re relatively new to Las Vegas. These creative individuals are actually somewhat controversial in Las Vegas. The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) has had to step in to preserve the rights of the performers who have been arrested and cited. If you walk down the Strip and watch the buskers at work, it’s hard to understand why anyone objects to the wandering superheroes, guitarists, and Elvi. They’re fun to watch and add to the overall carnival atmosphere of the Strip.
    Last week I wandered down the Strip from Tropicana Avenue to the Miracle Mile Shops, and half the fun was watching the buskers. Unlike the offensive handbillers, the buskers are appropriate for kids. (Yes, visitors, we in Las Vegas know that most of you despise the pamphleteers handing out smut. So do we. We’ve been trying for over 20 years to get rid of them, and so far they’ve won protection under the First Amendment every time.)
    The first street performer I saw was…. well…. I’m not sure what he was. He was kind of like a robot crossed with a statue. He was covered in gold paint. I would call him the Mystery Busker because, unlike the rest of the costumed people and musicians I saw, Mr. Gold Robot Statue defied categorization. But he had plenty of people taking pictures of him.
    Before I arrived at the Miracle Mile Shops, I saw a very short Elvis, a magician with a snake, Darth Vader and R2D2, a violinist, several guitarists, Spiderman, Batman, and an inexplicably large number of people with parrots.
    If you’re really concerned about having an unimpeded walkway, buskers are probably annoying. But for the rest of us, they’re very entertaining.
    All photos courtesy of Terrisa Meeks

Continue reading...
  2. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Spiderman's not missing any meals, is he? :D :D :D