BusinessFirst : Executive Dining meal option, dining based on pax schedule (experiences)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by meFIRST, Sep 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently successfully got a PMUA crew (ex-IAD) none the less to execute this. It took having to speak directly to the purser.

The flight took off late and I didn't feel like eating (since I basically just had a meal) and since it was a long flight, I wanted to eat much, much later. I opened the menu and noticed that there was indeed the dine based on my schedule option, which I elected.

The FA serving my aisle immediately told me, "You need to speak to the purser about that" which I did. When the purser came over, I had them save me an entree of my choice. Serveral hours later, long after the meal service was done, I went up to the galley and asked the FA on duty to heat up the meal. Which they did. Reluctanly.

Can I add that I have over the years flown multiple carriers, and on other carriers this is standard issue, and not a big deal. The reason why I pay to fly business is so that I can fly comfortably and arrived refreshed.

The old PMUA crew obviously didn't like doing this......( It was painfully, obvious). Dine based on pax schedule is the norm on most long haul business class on any half decent carrier!

By the way, I plan to fly the same route ( which I rather not disclose) again in a few months and will elect to do the same thing. I'll report back on my experience.

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I frequently ask for this when I travel and have never really run into a problem. I assume this was an international flight?

3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have also never had a problem. In fact, a few days back i was on SFO-HKG (canceled after 2-hours in flight), where the upper deck F.A told me I can eat when I want to....just to let her know when I am ready. I did not even ask for executive dining.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm willing to be real money it was IAD-DXB. It is one of the only late departures from IAD where one can eat a proper meal if it is delayed and also be long enough to sleep a decent amount, wake up and have time to eat the meal.

desamo and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't ask the food will be all gone. Trust me. I've woken up on many flights with 1 hour left before landing only to find one or two of the crew members eating my breakfast in the galley (and declining to serve it, with one hour left).

All the Dulles Dollys are robotic in my experience. The reality of international business class service on most (even mediocre) carriers these days is different. Executive dining is quite standard. And being woken up for meals (if requested) is quite standard. Getting a PMUA FA to do that without complaining is almost like seeing a unicorn.

Domestically : I remember being in p.s F ( uped from Business ) on a rather expensive ticket, and i got served leftovers from buy on board from coach ( after complaining) when I slept though the meal service.
    The FA gave me this "Its not my problem you slept" speech. Whatever. I was not happy when I arrived, since i had a full day, had to drive after landing and woke up hungry.

Anyway, I plan to do this again, so Dulles crew, get used to it. The Executive Dining service is printed on the menu.

6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    SFO is a different story. The EWR crew (PMCO) and even those that come from JFK (PMUA) would do it no questions asked. ORD PMUA too.

IAD long haul international crew is a cesspit. Not sure why.....I've seen the most nasty FA's on long flights from IAD, from my experience on "the friendly skies". I think this is very much, YMMV situation.

They seem to enjoy spending hours chatting in the galley and huff and the slightest out of the ordinary request.

desamo and snod08 like this.