BusinessElite Award with coach connection

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by benolaa, May 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking for expert Delta Guru. I just booked a ticket middle level award to go to Europe but it starts in Vegas and it goes via Atlanta. There are 0 seats in first from LAS-ATL. Is there anyway to waitlist for first and at the airport is there a specific code or upgrade list the agent should use to waitlist for first as I would assume it should clear before upgrades.

druiddation likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    On an award ticket, you're still eligible for the complimentary upgrade. You can always ask at the airport if you can get an award seat up front and they'll more than likely charge you more miles for it - this would require a re-booking of your ticket in order to get a confirmed seat.

3. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    As its already booked in business on the long-haul no additional miles we be required for the domestic as I am entitled to the seat.

druiddation likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, not thinking - it's early. :) You can use expertflyer to watch the seats and it it opens up, you can call an book it as well.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the OP isn't an elite who gets the reissue and redeposit fee waiver, will DL try to charge a fee to do this?

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point - I know when I made a change to a mileage ticket today the DM desk said it would have been $150 (I believe) had I not been a DM (or PM).

Even when I've asked about switching award ticketed flights at the airport, I know the agent said the availability had to be there.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think this is a re-issue. The ticket was issued with a mid-level j award ticket, he's just not seated in front for one of the segments. If the award inventory opens in front, he should be able just to get that by calling. I don't think this is a re-issue.

The interesting thing to me is where these folks would fall in the gate upgrade lottery priority. They should get some favorable dispensation being as they "paid" (albeit with miles) for the forward cabin. This isn't a segment upgrade situation...but where would they fall?

Anyone know on this?

8. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was the main question. I know with United you would be FFCC or Continental PR1 but until recently the agent had to manually list it. So what code is used for Delta upgrade list?

druiddation likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who has paid for FC should be ahead of any upgrade, including from full Y and any Y-UP fares, but I would be surprised if the OP's switch (I won't use the word upgrade) into FC were handled automatically at any stage. My guess is that in practice elite upgrades would be processed while the OP stays in coach. Talking to the GA should ensure that the right priority is followed.

10. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is there are a lot of GA who do not know how to do there job so sometimes helping them out with an internal code will fix the issue.

druiddation likes this.
  11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed! I got caught up in some of the interim chatter in the post and forgot the original question - which also weighed on me.

12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might ask them to take a look to see if they can code you properly in the sky club.

13. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish we had an sfogate here!

druiddation likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    mersk862 probably knows this stuff; he's an expert in all things DL.

15. PRWeezer

PRWeezer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I understood the explanation correctly, here goes: You should be automatically coded in the system based on ticket type/status & should any award inventory open up prior to the flight you would be moved/notified. If it does not open up, the GA could add you to the airport list if for some reason you weren't listed at check-in, and again, the system would note your ticket type w the appropriate priority. The GA could look up the UP priority codes/eligibility if there was a question as to how the system coded you to confirm where you should fall. Also, an award ticket may not necessarily clear ahead of paid/other elite tickets in priority (a generalization, not a comment on your specific situation). IIRC if you don't clear F you should not expect any miles to be returned. Not that you suggested this, but re-depositing miles was mentioned in other comments in a general way.

Just my opinion, but it would be ill advised for anyone on the outside to give you any specific upgrade codes as they would not have access to your internal record to confirm exactly where your priority would fall based on status/ticket type/other factors that might impact the upgrade priority in advance or on the day of travel. (how's that for a disclaimer!) I know this is hard for some, but trust that the system will process the list as it should be processed. And be proactive as others suggest & follow Expert Flyer in advance/call to get F seat per inventory availability, or check with a Sky Club agent or the GA day of travel to be sure you're listed correctly.

Don't shoot the messenger, and enjoy your trip. :)

16. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would reiterate the need to be proactive.

I ran into a situation where I was booked into J on an award, but the domestic segment was on a CRJ that only had Y seating. DL did a schedule change (eliminated the outbound day) and rebooked me on the next day (and after some hassle rebooked it to the prior day so I wouldn't lose non-refundable hotel dates). In rebooking it to a prior day, they put me on a CR9 so naturally I asked that they book me in the F cabin to match the int'l BE award. Reservation agent said "no can do" (EF showed the seats available as award). Another bunch of hassle involving a supervisor & pointing out that the reservation was a BE award and that it couldn't be cleared OR wait listed originally because there was no F cabin finally netted me the seats. The whole process took 90 minutes of my life that I'll never get back (and the domestic portion took 30 minutes alone) and involved the reservation agent, revenue management, the reissue desk (who told me a different story than the reservation agent), and 2 supervisors. It was FAR more difficult than necessary. In the end, I was successful, but what a mess.