Business travellers revert to economy class

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Dec 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...s-revert-to-economy-class-20111219-1p1s3.html

More business air travellers bought economy tickets in October, as they shifted from premium to cheaper seats, particularly in Europe, due to the economic crisis, industry body IATA said.

Although overall travel has not stopped growing "so far", airline profitability will be more challenging in this quarter as jet fuel prices have not fallen from third-quarter levels, the International Air Transport Association said last Thursday.

mht_flyer, TAHKUCT and uggboy like this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    More seats will be available for an upgrade :)

sobore likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This certainly doesn't surprise me. I can say for myself, corporate policy allows J if flying over 13 hours. And even when that happens, I'm usually pushed to Y anyway. That said, I did have one pass through customer that allowed J (as part of our SOW) -- but generally Y for me (and hopeful for using miles/SWU for a upgrade)

sobore likes this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    My company did that 6 years ago :(

5. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    in the last few months mine has tried dialing back those by corp policy that can fly J for 9 hours or longer to fly Y. However, I heard that if you whined pushed it enough, you could still fly in J as allowed by policy. I haven't had to fly to China lately, so I haven't had to try to push the envelope.