Business Travel is Fun, said no one! Ever

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, Nov 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    image-1094872571.jpg AA1229 BWI-DFW - November 8, 2012

7:40am - Boarded on time without exception.

8:10am- Departure time - the captain announces we will be delayed approximately 20 minutes because neither of the lavs in coach were serviced...(and the smell was permeating the cabin). Consequently, the flight cannot depart with only one working lav. Now anyone that is a frequent flyer knows that 20 minutes usually means an hour....

8:40am - Time for the second announcement made by the captain, stating that, wait for it....the lav truck is low on fuel and the driver must now wait for a fuel truck before he can come over to service the aircraft... Seriously? Oh that's right, these are Union employees so the lav truck driver is not allowed to fuel his vehicle because that would be taking work away from another employee.... The fueling took another 20 minutes...

8:50am, the pilot makes an announcement that under FAA rules, they have re-opened the aircraft door to allow anyone that wants to get off to do so. He then adds, "however, I don't suggest you do get off because if they complete the service and you are not on the aircraft, we will leave without you..." Lovely... So take your chances folks...but don't blame us if you miss your flight!

9:00am - I have been on my cell and email trying to reschedule this afternoon's meeting in LA in case I miss my connection and my battery is starting to dwindle...so I plug in to the power port (seat 3F) which is not working. I ask the FA to check to see if it is turned on which she does and tells me it is and walks away...still no power... I again ask about the power and am told that it is on at other seats so if it is not working for you it must be broken.... Lovely... Thankfully I have a spare backup battery in my laptop case! Oh wait, my laptop case is back above seat 5E (more on that later).

9:10am - Finally retracted the jetbridge and closed the door!!! We were wheels up at 9:27am after waiting for three inbound aircraft to land and clear the runway.... Finally, airborne and on our way! I may actually make my connection! Now time for breakfast...I'm starving! Did I mention that I gave up seat 5E so a young couple could sit together? Oh yeah, since I was now in 3F instead of 5E, (FEBO) the only remaining breakfast choice was the standard AA omelette so my option for having a healthy bowl of oatmeal went the way of my seat...I know, I know, I volunteered trading seats...just saying...insult to injury...No good deed goes unpunished!

Ok, so no breakfast, I can make it three more hours on coffee...I settle in for the flight, pull out my tray table for my coffee and iPad and it collapses in the middle to the point that I wouldn't dare place my coffee cup (EDIT - See pic above) on it for fear of it sliding off and spilling... Seriously?

I fly over 100,000 miles and 60-70 flights a year on AA and am beginning to lose confidence in the airline. This is not the first time I've dealt with annoying mechanical issues and I'm sure it won't be the last...but this was ridiculous! I will be calling the Exec Plat desk when I return home and letting them know how happy I was with the condition of their aircraft and the ability of their employees to perform their assigned duties...

Now of course this aircraft was a Mad Dog so some mechanicals are expected at this point in their life-cycle, but come on, American, either maintain them or replace them... And yes I know the 73s have started arriving, but not soon enough... Get it together, please!

Thanks for letting me vent!

edekba likes this.
  2. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it does look like you were on an aging S80. Chalk it up to that?

3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    @ the sterling - yes, I was, I mentioned that in the post (mad dog) as in MD-80... however, is that really an excuse for the airline to stop maintaining the aircraft?

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've said it so many times, but why not repeat it? :) I love the Mad Dogs and will miss them when they go. :)

Philphactor and DCtrAAveler like this.
  5. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am right there with you DD! I have (used to) flown them out of BUR for years! I still think they have one of the most comfortable F seats (albeit less leg room) of the AA domestic fleet. Love the 2 side in coach when I don't get the UG...

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I learned recently that the DL Mad Dogs have the 2 seat side in Y on the opposite side of the cabin. Mind trip!

garyst16 likes this.
  7. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a rough day...glad you missed the crying baby!

garyst16 likes this.
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew DL often when they had their hublet in DFW. AA service (or lack thereof) and arrogance had sent me running to DL. When DL left DFW, I was equally surprised to see AA's "backwards?" placement of the 2 seat side. That's all ancient history, as I'm a UA guy now, don't live in Dallas any more and watch the AA page just to keep up with what happens to them in the bankruptcy.

9. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few DL Mad Dogs I've been on have the same set up as AA, too.

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    At the risk of sounding like an apologist, I would chalk it up to "s**t happens."

I have had things like that happen on other airlines, and I didn't think less of them just because of that one incident.

One thing I usually do though, is that I leave a generous amount of time for connection (especially international) AND leave enough time for the second segment that if something happens, I will have a buffer without having to worry about changing meetings around or whatever.

I know that takes a lot of time and is not a luxury everyone can do, but I have found it works in taking out some of the stress in traveling.

Now if we could only get rid of the TSA.......

11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now if we could only get rid of the TSA.......
    +1

(But it'll never happen.)

12. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    DL's MD-80s (and 88s) have the 2-seat side on the right (facing the front). MD-90s have them on the left. Go figure...