Business travel dilemma: Do I have to eat that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Nov 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2012/11/05/business-travel-bizarre-foods/1684153/

Every meal was "an adventure" for frequent business traveler George Irving when he worked for an auto manufacturer in Thailand.

"You name it, I have tried it," says Irving, of Huntington Beach, Calif. "Frog skins dried like chips, dried squid, fish-head soup, pickled duck tongues, 1,000-year salted eggs and so many other interesting items."

Irving, who worked in Thailand from 2001 to 2004 and still works for the manufacturer in California, says he developed a rule for his Thai hosts: "Don't tell me what it is until I have eaten it."
    Many business travelers face a culinary and social dilemma in foreign countries. They don't want to insult their hosts or lose a business deal, but what's being served appears difficult to consume or downright disgusting.

Read More: : http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2012/11/05/business-travel-bizarre-foods/1684153/

jbcarioca, MX and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you absolutely do not have to eat anything you consider inedible, especially if it violates your ethical or religious standards. Intercultural business should be a two-way street. When we host visitors from strange lands, we don't force anything down their throats. Likewise when we visit other lands, our hosts should not feel insulted by our differences. If that's not understood by everyone, perhaps we're not yet ready to do business together.

3. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Living in an Asian country I have often found that us westerners (and yes I guess I am generalizing here) will more often than not pull our noses up for food if we are unsure of what it is or if it is prepared in a different way than what we are use to. Numerous times I have come across a meal and just ate it because I was with colleagues and it usually turned out to be something quite regular like chicken, duck or pork, just prepared in a very different way than my Mamma use to. :p But honestly, leaving yourself open to some things in stead of being scared off by the name, will actually get you to discover that some things are quite tasty... (i.e. dried squid, fish head soup, and fermented skate fish are all quite unique and actually quite delicious.)

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have tested pretty much everything except dog- because I am a dog lover- and am still here to right about it- so I would say it is up to you- it is fun to taste new things however!

marcwint55, jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. Especially because it is part of business process, this is a good venue to show how much of a two-way street the relations are. I don't get to go to places with anything particularly exotic (Western Europe, mostly), but I always ask for local cuisine with understanding that I am willing to try anything, but not necessarily be able to stomach everything. Has not failed me yet.

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people get quite "freaked out" about eating horse however it is actually very tasty.

marcwint55, jbcarioca and FlyingBear like this.
  7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried it, liked it. :)

marcwint55, jbcarioca and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who Knew? People seem to like horse meat. Now who is serving it? (I'm even thinking horse tacos) :)

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Horse meat is good. You can find it in almost any European country. If you need to know some restaurants in NorthEast Italy just send me a PM and I will send you a few especially good places phone number/addresses (there is one restaurant in particular that ONLY serves Horse except for dessert).

10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there any US establishments that serve it?

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been legal since November of last year so probably there must be some:
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/820439

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is common in France, among other places. Nobody i know can tell the difference between dead cow and dead horse, preparations being the same. Many places have commonly served horse while billing it as beef (I recall a bit of bother about that in England a few years ago) and nobody knew the difference until an inspector noticed the labeling on menus differed from labeling on the food itself.

Back to the subject of the thread. I have traditionally eaten whatever was placed before me so long as the environment was sanitary. I have never regretted doing that. In Tibet, parts of China, Africa and the Indian subcontinent I often avoid street food or other obviously unsanitary conditions. I have enjoyed dog in Korea, camel in Saudi Arabia, endless types of insects, snakes, rodents and assorted poorly defined creature in many places around the world. Now I tend towards fish and vegetables.

BTW, only once have I had gastrointestinal distress. That was many, many years ago when a friend and I were driving my car from Pakse in southern Laos to Vientiane. We spent a night in a remote US military communications post (both of us were employed by the US Air Force at the time) and I had serious reaction to whatever we were served in the officer Club for dinner. I am fairly sure that all the unmentionable things I have eaten in my life have been better than that.

marcwint55, sobore and TRAVELSIG like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know whether they still do, but for many years the Harvard Faculty Club was known for serving horse.

marcwint55 likes this.
  14. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can report firsthand that it was not on the menu two years ago, though it
    was the first time I went (but I was there for a set banquet meal so did not
    have the chance to order it).

marcwint55 likes this.
  15. SOLTATIO

SOLTATIO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know horse meat is common on the island province of Jeju in South Korea. Dog meat, while technically illegal in the whole country is served quite regularly given that the "illegality" is not enforced. It is merely not regulated anymore.

marcwint55 likes this.
  16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEN

maradori likes this.