Business saver reward

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chz2215, Feb 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at booking reward travel on UA metal IAD-FCO in Nov. First class is currently available but I would be fine with less miles to fly business. Are business saver rewards difficult to come by or are they released closer to travel dates?

deant likes this.
  2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just keep monitoring. Don't forget you could always go over the pond on LH, LX, (US for that matter). As to when inventory will be released is anyone's guess, but persistence in monitoring and watching various routing/carrier combinations will be the key.

Good Luck!

genemk2 likes this.
  3. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'll keep checking. Currently booked on US via Fra. If this opened up it would allow me to get there with one stop. I'm hoping US will release some low mileage Envoy so I can switch to that but this would be a good option too

4. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is First class on UA international worth extra 17.5k miles per person? Booking my family of 3 and wondering if its worth it or if I should save the 50k for our next trip. Thanks for the help. This is my first long haul award trip

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd save 'em unless you really want the non-stop and that's the only way to get it.

6. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    For such a short trip, and on UA - probably not.

7. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I'm looking at flights back for my honeymoon, and I was pretty excited about the UA first class leg (from ZRH-EWR or IAD) on the 767-300 (it's got the United First Suite, right? http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53247,00.html). It's an 8 hr flight, so it's fairly short, too. As of now, there's no Biz availabiltiy on Saver, but maybe I should keep my eye out to save the 17.5k miles x 2 (I can change classes with no fees, correct?). What are some of the things that makes UA 1st not as good as some of the competitions? I'm somewhat new to this, so I'm soaking as much in as I can.

8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you are Global Services or 1K, I think there will be a change fee for changing classes:

See http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,50994,00.html?jumpLink=/awardfees

Mikus33 likes this.
  9. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. That's quite a helpful chart.

10. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everybody has a different valuation for these awards but for a celebratory trip I would spring for first class, regardless of the carrier. If you're going to celebrate and you have the miles, celebrate I say.

My wife and I are planning a 15 day, 4 city trip to Europe to celebrate her graduating from her medical residency and I had the same choice between United business and first and I chose first. We're routing outbound to Europe through Geneva on a 767 and back through Brussels on a 777.

Also FYI it looks like there is some LH award space to/from Europe that becomes available through United about a month out. My plan is if any LH space opens up, I'm just going to swap my award ticket. Granted I booked through CO so there shouldn't be a change fee more than 21 days out...

11. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    LX also has some business available Montreal-Zurich through November.

12. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats to both you and your wife on making it through residency. My brother is in his 2nd year, and I know that's a major accomplisment.

I'm actually booking through CO as well. From the link that genemk2 posted, it looks as if post merger there will be a fee for "Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline (requires the ticket be canceled and reissued), regardless of departure date" ($75 for non elite, $50 for Silver, $25 for Gold).

I'm guessing that since it'll be post merger that fee would apply to tickets booked through OnePass as well, but I don't know. If that's the case it may cost you to change to LH (but may be worth it).

Are you on a 777 that has been upgraded yet? I'm not even sure if there's a way to know that, and I have no idea what the old 777 first looked like.

http://www.united.com/page/article/...+Business+Class&pos=1&date=2012/02/09&time=24

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That rule applies to tickets booked with UA miles now. If you're booked with CO miles it won't apply.

14. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are the CO OnePass Award Ticket rules:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/onepass/rules/rewards.aspx

"Economy Class rewards may be exchanged for a higher cabin, if available, for the difference in mileage and applicable reward change fee. Travel rewards may not be used in conjunction with promotional upgrades, OnePass Upgrade Rewards, or complimentary Elite upgrades." Not sure what the "applicable reward change fee" is, but I'm assuming it's the Flight Change Fee listed further below on the page.

15. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification on that. I had found the CO rules, but my thought was if the change occurs once the merger is complete (sometime late first quarter?) then the UA rules would apply. Do you guys think this is incorrect?

16. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    thank you its been a long four years especially sinc weve had to live apart th entire time.

theres a wiki page somewhee that keeps track of the 777s but honestly im not concerned. my only experience with first class is one short segment on a delta domestic md88 so im sure ill like it regardless. maybe one day ill be picky but not now...

17. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've only flown domestic 1st a couple of times, and managed to use points to fly Biz back from Buenos Aires on LAN last year, so I'm not very picky either at this point, and probably never will be. Hopefully, you'll luck out with a new 777, but, like you said, I'm sure either way it'll be great.

miles and smiles and nova like this.