Business owner telecom/gas question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Mbcijim10, Apr 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mbcijim10

Mbcijim10 Member

Status Points:
    Our cell bill is about $5k/month. It's a mix of AT&T/Verizon. That seems easy chase product with 5x Chase product on perhaps 2 cards. Has anyone had any problems with this?

Our gas bill is in the mid five figures per month. I would need 25 or so cards. Prefer a cash back card over points. All the bloggers focus on points and much smaller budgets. Points aren't being ruled out.

Any suggestions?

Any other business owners on here who can lead me to a forum for people like us?

boondr and MX like this.
  2. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember Ink is a points/cash back hybrid. For CB it it $.01/pt, for partner redemptions you can get significantly more or less value depending on use.

PenFed Platinum Rewards gets 5% on gas no annual fee I believe, with no annual limit on earnings(Ink is capped at 50k per bonus structure for Bold and Plus). Search around for details on how to get a membership.

3. Mbcijim10

Mbcijim10 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. The problem I see with pen fed is it's a personal card. Not sure they will issue 25 cards and our company has multiple owners.

boondr likes this.
  4. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    25 employees is borderline small biz in the banking/financial marketing world (usually tops out at 3-7 employees). Especially if there are multiple owners you might want to start looking at some more corporate-geared products by talking to your banker. You will be getting into all sorts of personal liability issues just signing up for an Ink or Amex Biz card.

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you have some high end cell phone features you might look into a cheaper carrier. I know Virgin is cheaper than AT&T, Verizon, etc. on the monthly data and voice plans.
    In our business we have about 100 employees but only about 30 travel. The CEO adds you as a citi AA cardholder to his account and we have the option of using that card or our own. Some folks with bad credit habits use his card and he gets the miles. Others of us use our own and get the benefits.

6. Mbcijim10

Mbcijim10 Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback. I've talked with 2 of our banks (pnc, regional) neither have what we are looking for. I'll ask some more. Never heard of virgin will pass that on.

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Costco Business Amex: 4% on gas (v. 3% for the personal card). $7k cap per year, presumably per card. Might require buying some costco memberships.

In the realm of personal cards, 2% is easy: FIA Fidelity Amex or Barclays Priceline Visa, both with no annual fee and no caps.

Mixing and matching might be helpful, too: max out the Costco card(s), then move to the lower-earning ones.

daninstl likes this.
  8. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    We've been very happy with the Capital One Spark, 2% cash back small business card. The cash back is simply credited to each month's bill. They started us at a low credit limit ($20k) but went up to $80k quickly. Their customer service has been excellent. I also have a personal Fidelity 2% cash back where I get the cash back instead of the company, not sure if they have a business version.

9. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:

Just got a mailer for the US Bank Cash Rewards business card, 3% on cellular, gas and office supply, 1% everything else, with no cap and a 25% yearly bonus on cash back earned capped at $250 total, which you would easily reach with your totals.

N.A.F. As long as the account is used once per year.

https://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/creditcards/rewards/business/platinum_cash_rewards.cfm

10. Carlee

Carlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Bank of America small bus card I was getting 5%back on gas just reduced to 3%. Then also use ink Bold for cell, int and all office supply.