Business on TG vs. OZ vs. NH

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by hulagrrl210, Jul 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was wondering if anyone has experienced Business Class on Thai, Asiana, or ANA. Looking for suggestions on which airlines to choose for an upcoming trip to Asia. Specifically curious which have lay-flat beds. Thanks in advance!

yaychemistry and savydog like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know Asiana has lay flat seats in biz on some 777 routes. I believe many of the Thai seats are angled, not true flat seats (can anyone confirm?). ANA has lay flat in biz on the 777.

savydog and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Each of these airlines uses different equipment on different routes - some of which have varying j products.

What city pairs are you considering?

hulagrrl210 and eponymous_coward like this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned, TG, NH and OZ all use a variety of equipment depending on the city pair and plane type involved, so without knowing where you are flying, it makes it hard to advise. You could be in anything from an old-school recliner without AVOD to something with full lie-flat on a newer plane.

TG and OZ's most common seat is this one:

http://www.sogerma.eads.net/Evolys

So, yes, most of TG's seats are angled (TG has C lie-flats if you're flying 77Ws routed CDG-BKK-NRT and v.v.)

There are trip reports on this seat on FT (look for something thing going LAX-BKK in C on TG, and there's a report by matthandy about a flight on OZ where he was in that seat, ICN-LHR). I sat in it on a shortish flight (DPS-BKK) and it was fine, but I wasn't trying to sleep. This is a common seat type on ex-USA routes. OZ also flies a Quadra Smartium that's full lie-flat on some (but not all) US routes. I recall a trip report on THAT in FT- look for one that mentions ICN-SYD.

yaychemistry and hulagrrl210 like this.
  5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys- great info so far!
    I'm trying to book a mileage ticket to Phuket with a 2-day stopover in Hong Kong and a mini (less than 24 hour) stopover in BKK for October.

My preference would be to go SFO-HKG-SFO on SQ however they are only showing Y availability according to the ANA tool so these were the other routes I was considering that have availability in Business:

LAX-HND-HKG on NH (777?) I read somewhere that ANA has pods/ dividers between their lay-flat seats?
    HKG-BKK-HKT on TG (short flights, don't really care what I get)

HKT-BKK on TG (short flight)
    BKK-ICN-SFO/LAX on TG/OZ (ICN to SFO/LAX most likely on an OZ 777?) or
    BKK-LAX on TG (A340?) or
    BKK-NRT-SFO/LAX (747) on UA (this is most likely my preference as I've flown the new UA business and know what I'm going to get. ANA tool doesn't show availability but UA shows they have still have one-way saver awards which is a good sign)

I'll be sure to check out some of those trip reports and I welcome any suggestions anyone has on my itinerary :)

Thanks again!!!

yaychemistry and savydog like this.
  6. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    From SFO/LAX the only flat seat will be OZ on the 777 services from LAX and SFO; it's also a much nicer seat than UA. On the routes selected TG and NH only have angled lie flat seats. OZ's catering and service is better than TG and significantly better than NH.

IMHO I think NH is a bit overrated in C.

My rankings would be 1. OZ, 2. TG, 3. UA/NH.

NH only has flat seats to FRA, LHR and JFK, it's still the angled lie-flat seats to LAX/SFO.

yaychemistry and hulagrrl210 like this.
  7. deadlocklegend

deadlocklegend Active Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I love OZ business class for their service and food. For the type of seats you can check each specific route and flight number on seatguru, but their services are top notch and wins hands down in my view.

yaychemistry likes this.
  8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have flown on the angled lie-flat of TG and OZ. IMHO, TG has the better seat, but service wise OZ wins hands down. The OZ service is SQ-like with very polished FAs who will take great care of you. With TG, it's a bit of hit and miss, sometimes you get a very good crew, but sometimes you get a set of crew who is just going through the motion.

yaychemistry likes this.
  9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would go with OZ C as well. There's a reason for them being rated as one of the top airlines recently. :p

10. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have got great feedback on OZ, TG & NH and I would have to agree with most of the comments. While I am no fan of TG, one point to consider on your return trip is the fact that they fly NON-STOP to LAX. That long flight would allow you to sleep for a long time (without having to bother about stopping to change planes in ICN/NRT). FWIW, you can also get a decent massage at the TG spa in the BKK lounge.

yaychemistry likes this.
  11. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is great info. This thread helped me make my booking decisions and I opted for TG BKK-ICN (for the spa access) and OZ ICN-JFK to experience the wonderful service (in C). I'm very excited!

I also got fooled by the co.com website, which listed the TG flight as a 777-300ER, which gave me hope that it was one of the planes leased from Jet Airways in a 3-class config with fully lie-flat in C. However a dummy booking on the TG website shows it as just the regular 2-class 773.

According to seatguru the 772 has "angled lie-flat" while the 773 has "recliner" seats. However between MP, FT, and the TG websites it appears that this info is out of date and both 773 and 772 have angled lie-flats. Can anyone confirm?

cennas likes this.
  12. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think what they mean by 'recliner' seat is the newer version of the TG C long haul seat found on the 772ER and the 773. I think it is essentially an 'angled lie-flat' seat although it seems to be more angled than its predecessor. I've only been on rather short regional flights on this seat so could not comment on how it is for sleeping. But I certainly prefer it over the old seat as it's wider with a bigger screen.

I've also been on the overnight BKK-ICN flight, albeit on the later one with the 772. They will serve you something light after take off (IIRC sushi and a local Thai dessert) and then a full breakfast service about 2 hours prior to landing at ICN. Korean and Thai instant noodles were also available on request for those who stay awake.

Enjoy your flight! :)

lwkatya and yaychemistry like this.