Business Gold Rewards vs Business Platinum

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by wrxmom, May 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every week one of my businesses gets multiple offers from AMEX for the Business Platinum card. This week, a new offer, the Business Gold Rewards was also sent.

My offers are:
    100,000 points for 10K spend in 6 months with Business Platinum with $450 annual fee
    or
    75,000 points for 5K spend in 6 months with Business Gold Rewards and no annual fee for the first year

Strictly from a cpm ratio, the Business Gold Rewards is better but the Business Platinum gives more benefits so I'm not sure which way to go.

Any thoughts?

marcwint55 and KathInJax like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will you use the Plat benefits?

marcwint55, KathInJax and southender like this.
  3. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I got the card, I'd use the benefits, especially the rebate. I primarily fly on just 1 airline and have lounge access so the lounge access isn't a big draw but it's a nice perk.

I think I'll just go for the cpm value, at least time.

Thanks for the help, MSP. :)

4. zornoff

zornoff Active Member

Status Points:
    I was in the same dilemma so I opted for both. I met the $5K spend in one month for the Gold and am working on the $10K spend for the Platinum now. I've had both cards in the past and really couldn't tell much difference in the two; the Platinum does give you access to the Sky Clubs and Fine Hotels and Resorts for trips but I doubt I'll see much benefit from that as, like you, I already have Sky Club access. I will cancel the Gold before the free year is up so I don't have 2 credit card fees.

My question today was going to be the best way to spend the points. After the points and the bonuses I will have over 160K MR points. I hope Delta does another % bonus for transfers like they did last year but we'll have to wait and see.

5. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the extra input zornoff.

6. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would get both...if the spend isn't an issue. Offers that high don't normally come around anymore...

For people that aren't targeted, I recommend getting the Gold Bus. card, and then wait for an offer to upgrade to the Plat Bus. card. This way maximizes the bonus from both cards, and then the Plat fee is prorated to how long you had the Gold card for...e.g. if you had the Gold card for 6 mo., then the Plat fee is only $225, b/c it's based on your initial Gold renewal date. You can then try out the Plat benefits to see if it is useful or not. You still get the $200 airline credit (x 2 for the second calendar year if you time it right.) So it can actually be profitable.

This was my experience in 2011, but then I was not targeted, and the AX bonus matching policies have changed...I was able to get 75K initially for Gold, and then upgraded to the Plat for 100K. It appears that a non-targeted person could only bank on a subsequent Plat offer of 25-50K.

I noticed that there is a 75K offer right now out there for $10K spend in 4 months at this link.

artvndlay, marcwint55 and KathInJax like this.
  7. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I can since the offers were for the same business. But I'm not real versed on AMEX so correct me if I'm wrong. :)

8. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm - I keep getting 50,000 for $5,000 spend on my new business. My old business stopped getting offers last year.

AMEX recently changed their T&C to state that if you have had a similar card within the last 90 days(I.e business green, gold or platinum), you were not eligible for the bonus points on the new application.. So, I think that you could only apply for one card. I do not know if two officers of the business can apply, one for each offer.

I would probably go with the gold card, because of the lower spend amount, but I am not very "creative" with my spending.

wrxmom and marcwint55 like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would start out with the Business Gold as there is no cost. You might find a personal platinum AMEX with the same bonus points, and the benefits are worth the annual fee if you travel.

KathInJax and wrxmom like this.
  10. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be interesting to see how they determine which businesses get which offers: my other businesses haven't gotten these offers .

KathInJax likes this.
  11. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you intend on keeping the card(s) for the long run or just for sign up bonus?

12. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:
    I missed that lotso suggested exactly what I was suggesting. I applied for gold in January, was getting Platinum upgrade offers in May.