Business Gold 75k Offer - Wait for something better?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Casey Friday, Oct 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I received an AMEX 75k Business Gold offer. I'm currently running low on points/miles, as 2012/2013 have been great years for some epic redemptions! That said, I need to pad up my accounts for some big stays.

About two weeks ago, I got an AMEX 50k offer. Then yesterday comes the 75k offer. My questions is - is there a good possibility I'll get a 100k offer next? I don't want to apply for 75k if I can get 100k, obviously. However, if not everyone can get a 100k offer, I'll gladly take the 75k while the offer's still hot. The details say I can apply until 31 December and still get the 75k bonus points.

Has anyone else received the offers in this order, and if so, did you get a 100k offer last?

MX likes this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm no expert but 75K sounds more than normal. I received 50k for both my Gold cards. The Platinum gets as high as 100k.

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm no expert, but I've never seen the Gold card get higher than 75K. I've seen the Platinum get to 100K but mostly in targeted offers.

4. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 75K offer is a really good offer. I've received a 80K offer last year but have never seen one higher than 80k.

5. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, waiting paid off! I just got a 100k offer in the mail.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Gah, just noticed $450 annual fee. Way too rich for my taste.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    gconnery, MX and Flying Bat like this.
  6. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    May seem like a lot of money, but look at it from the value of it. A good offer from Amex for a free one year membership is 50K. So what is 50k additional points worth. Even with the current purchase mile offers from US Air, AA, and United 50K will cost you much more than $450. I place a higher value on MR points than any airline miles simply because they are more flexible to use and often offer transfer bonus's. Just my perspective, love to hear what others have to say.

Casey Friday likes this.
  7. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I were to received that offer, I wouldn't even question myself; I'd take it for sure!

Casey Friday likes this.
  8. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    The airline reimbursement alone is almost worth the money. If you buy some gift cards with the $200 airline credit before year end and again in January, you've made up $400 of the $450 annual fee. Not to mention all the other benefits from the card. No brainer.

icurhere2 and Casey Friday like this.
  9. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you get the $200 credit twice, once in each year?

10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I want that card!

Casey Friday likes this.
  11. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't say for the US card, but in Canada you can since it's $200 per calendar year. I would guess it's the same in the States, though.

Casey Friday likes this.
  12. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know the answer is yes as stated above. The benefit is per calendar year. I tested first with a $50 GC purchase and when the credit posted a few days later, I bought another $150 in GC. I plan on doing the same in January.

icurhere2 and Casey Friday like this.
  13. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So now the question is, can I do the 75k Gold offer AND this 100k Platinum offer? That would be mega points and would pad me up for a while to come.

14. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wow - had no idea. I found this link explaining that credit. Is it limited to airfare gift cards, or is there some way to arbitrage it into cash? (Aside from straight up selling the gift cards)

15. I am here now!

I am here now! Active Member

Status Points:
    I was just checking a post about Amex cards in Canada a few minutes ago, and it seems we (I'm in Canada) get only 25,000 points with Amex Gold... makes me almost want to move south!

Casey Friday likes this.
  16. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My wife just got a 50,000 point offer too... That would be great if they upgraded her Gold offer to 75k, then I could do the Gold 75 + Platinum 100, and she could do the Gold 75, for a total of 250k points.

I've gotta make this happen...

17. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I just applied for both Gold & Platinum (in Chrome and FF), and they both now state "Your Application has Been Received." So no instant approval on either, but hopefully they'll both go through...

iolaire likes this.
  18. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got both last January, I think each was pending originally, as did the business gold a few months later.

Casey Friday likes this.
  19. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I got pending emails for both applications earlier today, and I haven't heard anything else yet.

20. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I got approved for both! Holy cow! AMEX has always disappointed me in the past, but they approved both of these cards, so a single 2-card churn for me = 175,000 points, which I will transfer to the hotel program of my choice and build up a couple more points to take my wife on a nice week-long vacation somewhere.

Now I just need to start mourning the loss of my Companion Pass in 5 days, and I'll have to wait 60 days to get the Chase SWRR cards again to re-activate the CP for 2014-2015.

MX and iolaire like this.
  21. WebRobby

WebRobby Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read the T&Cs of the Gold & Platinum offers and it said you're not eligible for it if you have had any business charge card in the last 12 months. Anyways I will be curious if you get both bonuses - maybe the trick is applying for the targeted gold and platinum card at once?

22. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I sure hope so. That's the way I did it, and I'll report back on whether or not I get both bonuses.

23. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did the same last year on the personal side, plus got a business card later in the year. It’s fairly amazing that it worked; I hope that you are successful also.

Keep in mind the bonus hits at the billing date after the bill in which you hit your spend. So for month one you will only get the points from your spend, but in month two you will get the bonus (assuming you hit your spend in month 1).

I ended up using the points to book SQ first, one saver ticket and one regular ticket (waitlisted but doubting I’ll get a second saver ticket), from SIN to IAH via DME (24 hours in air).

24. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That only applies if you had the card, cancelled it and then reapplied for same card again within the last 12 months. Since he's a new card member to both, he's GOLDen. :) I got the same Business Gold 75k offer this month. Applied online and received a pending status also. Was approved two days later. Just gotta make my 5k spend requirement in 3 months now. Casey, what's the spend requirement on your Platinum card 100k point offer? When I applied years ago, it was 25k points after 3k in spending.

And like everyone says, the Platinum card is totally worth it. It's pricey but comes loaded with plenty of benefits. If you get your card this year, you can designate your airline and make a couple of gift card purchases before the year is up and then it resets Jan 1, so you can do it all over again. And don't forget to get reimbursed for Global Entry and sign up for SPG and car rental elite status. Good luck bud.

Casey Friday likes this.
  25. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering about those gift card purchases. I actually got the cards yesterday (just in the nick of time!), so I can make my purchases today, and it will still count as 2013. I hope I can choose Southwest as my airline of choice.

My Platinum spend requirement is $5,000 in three months, and the Gold is $2,000 in three months. I had no idea the card came with free SPG Gold, reimubrsement of Global Entry, and rental car elite status - I don't even know what rental car status that is! This is pretty cool though. I'm excited to pad my accounts up, and with the SPG Gold status, I might be making my big stay of 2014 in a non-Hilton property for the first time.

Thanks for the info!

iolaire likes this.